• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML Thunderbirds

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
Does the ECML still have dedicated Thunderbird locos stationed at strategic points along the route? If not, what’s the current rescue strategy if they need a drag?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
Two have been kept, one each at Doncaster and Bounds Green, to recover failed 91+Mark 4 sets. 80x units are recovered by another 80x unit if unable to move under its own power, with loco recovery a last resort for if nothing else is possible.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Two have been kept, one each at Doncaster and Bounds Green, to recover failed 91+Mark 4 sets. 80x units are recovered by another 80x unit if unable to move under its own power, with loco recovery a last resort for if nothing else is possible.
Does a loco need a coupling adaptor to rescue an 80x, or is there an spare hook/knuckle hidden underneath the dellner?

Established Member
It requires an adaptor. If I recall correctly one is carried in the cab of each 80x.
You are correct, an emergency coupler is located in the cupboard opposite the Accessible toilet at each end of the train.

Does the ECML still have dedicated Thunderbird locos stationed at strategic points along the route? If not, what’s the current rescue strategy if they need a drag?

Thanks!
Although lately, due to staffing issues, the nearest available rescue loco is used, that has seen ROG class 37s rescuing some failed trains.

meepmeep

There always seems to be a loco in the siding at York Station when you look at the webcam. Is this not a thunderbird?

Established Member
There always seems to be a loco in the siding at York Station when you look at the webcam. Is this not a thunderbird?
It’s where DRS stable there locos when not in use.

They can be called up on if they have free available if a rescue is needed.

alexl92

Established Member
The one that’s been there longest is WCRC 37706… Hasnt moved in at least 4 weeks but I don’t know why.

Are the official Thunderbirds still DB 67s then? I wondered if Europhoenix 37s had taken over?

Established Member
The one that’s been there longest is WCRC 37706… Hasnt moved in at least 4 weeks but I don’t know why.

Are the official Thunderbirds still DB 67s then? I wondered if Europhoenix 37s had taken over?
Still DB 67s yes.

Razor1967

I had the misfortune to be on the 12.02 York to KX on Tuesday hauled by 91130, which failed just north of Doncaster Station station. Got some unexpected haulage from 67016 into the station. What annoyed me was it took nearly 3 hours to rescue us when the loco was less than 2 miles away !! The Train Manager was blaming power failure on the overheads but electrics were still passing north and then when we finally got dragged in, he told everybody to stay on the train as it would soon be on its way to London again. I said to my fellow passengers that it very unlikely as the 91 was very much dead as we were on the rear coach and I heard the pan drop and all main carriage lights/ air con went off as soon as it happened. The train became quite uncomfortable with the air con off and some passengers had sleeping babies and buggies and all sorts of luggage, but said they would stay put as they had seats. Lo and behold as soon as I stepped off the train the station tannoy was announcing the termination of the train and to join the Azuma that had just pulled in on platform 3, which had been stuck behind us. The train was already rammed so I hope the folks with babies etc managed to get on, never mind get a seat.

greyman42

Established Member
I had the misfortune to be on the 12.02 York to KX on Tuesday hauled by 91130, which failed just north of Doncaster Station station. Got some unexpected haulage from 67016 into the station. What annoyed me was it took nearly 3 hours to rescue us when the loco was less than 2 miles away !! The Train Manager was blaming power failure on the overheads but electrics were still passing north and then when we finally got dragged in, he told everybody to stay on the train as it would soon be on its way to London again. I said to my fellow passengers that it very unlikely as the 91 was very much dead as we were on the rear coach and I heard the pan drop and all main carriage lights/ air con went off as soon as it happened. The train became quite uncomfortable with the air con off and some passengers had sleeping babies and buggies and all sorts of luggage, but said they would stay put as they had seats. Lo and behold as soon as I stepped off the train the station tannoy was announcing the termination of the train and to join the Azuma that had just pulled in on platform 3, which had been stuck behind us. The train was already rammed so I hope the folks with babies etc managed to get on, never mind get a seat.
It sounds like the train manager was telling lies. Why not just be honest and say the loco had failed?

The initial issue was a loss of power to the overheads. At that point the cause was unknown.

Initial attempts to resurrect them weren’t successful.

A subsequent attempt was successful, which meant services could start to move - it was anticipated this would include the 1202. This would have been quicker than using the 67, both in terms of movement and internal power to the coaches.

The Azumas in the other direction did move.

It was then discovered the MK4 couldn’t, which also tied in with what had caused the OHL to trip in the first place (I’m not going to go in to details of why)

This discovery meant the quickest resolution was to use the 67. It was still hoped that the MK4 would be able to work forward from Doncaster under its own power, but needed to be confirmed once at the station.

Finally, it was discovered that wasn’t possible either.

The TM was not ‘telling lies’, and the changing circumstances meant the info changed a few times, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.