• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EDB-WFJ via London - only one ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejstubbs

As per the title, yesterday I booked Edinburgh to Watford Junction via London for travel tomorrow. When I collected the ticket from the machine at Waverley last night I was surprised to only get one ticket, plus the CC receipt. Makes a change from the myriad bits of cardboard I'm used to getting. The ticket shows my seat reservation on the 09:30 EDB-KGX but nothing else apart from the origin and destination of the overall journey.

Am I right in thinking that this one ticket will get me through the barriers on the Underground, and on to any train from EUS to WFJ? The confirmation e-mail from VTEC says "Valid on chosen train only" and lists times for both the Underground portion of the journey and the London Midland train EUS-WFJ. I'm a little worried that there might be delays on the Underground forcing me to take a later train from EUS.

(FWIW I did look in to travelling down the west coast but it takes longer and is more expensive. The really strange thing, though, was that both National Rail and Virgin Trains only offered me a change at MKC, whereas if I searched EDI-BHM and BHM-WFJ separately it was £44 cheaper overall for, as far as I could see, travelling on exactly the same trains, just changing earlier in the journey. It's no wonder people complain that UK rail ticketing is confusing!)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If times are listed *on the ticket* you must use the trains listed. If not they are just suggestions.

Technically you're only supposed to use trains on which Advances are not available, but as that isn't documented anywhere as such[1] you'll be fine using any LM train.

[1] Probably the Tring stoppers and Watford shuttles in LM's case, FWIW, I think Advances are available from MKC to London but nowhere south of that.

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
You can walk from Kings Cross to Euston in about the same time as taking the tube. But if you are delayed you can get the next train regardless.

If there isn't a specific train printed on the ticket from Euston-Watford then you're free to get the first train when you get to Euston.

robbeech

Established Member
In reality given the transfer time between the 2 stations and as such the total connection time there would have to be fairly significant delays on both underground lines that join the 2 for you to have any trouble. As others have said it is generally as quick to walk if you're in a position to do so.

ejstubbs

Thanks all for your reassuring replies. Walking was indeed a strong fallback option - I just haven't worked out exactly how much stuff I'm going to be taking with me yet.

I've just booked the return journey on Thursday, from SVG. I wanted the 10:39 but VTEC didn't have any seat reservations available. I've booked the 10:55 which involves a slightly tight change at Donny and a rather easier one at York. If all goes well it would get me to Waverley only three minutes later than the 10:39. If I miss a connection then I'll be at least an hour later, and without a seat reservation from Doncaster onward. Fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.