• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh and the Fife Circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shredder1

Established Member
Edinburgh and the Fife Circle. Friday and Saturday 6th and 7th January 2017.

Another mad rush after work on a Friday night and I comfortably made the 18.12 a direct TPX class 350 service from Manchester Piccadilly to Edinburgh Waverley, getting me into the City, just a little after 21.30 and time to catch up with a few photographs, a green class 90 Freightliner was the first to greet me, while I also caught up with the Borders livery class 170 which followed my train into Waverley.

I returned to Haymarket as I`d booked a Hostel opposite the station, £10 for the night; it was great very clean with all the facilities and a large bay window overlooking Haymarket railway station. I shared a large dormer with a Russian who was touring Scotland for a month, a lovely lad who very kindly shared a bottle of Russian prize vodka with me, I slept well that night.

However I was up by 06.00, showered and out, a McDonalds was the only breakfast outlet I could find and I walked the length of Princess Street to Waverley station, and just in time to see the Caledonia Sleeper arriving from London behind a Class 92 locomotive. In addition to this the Class 90 had been changed in the night for a Freightliner grey liveried class 90, I stayed on the station recording the early morning movements until the dawn broke.

I next took a train out to Haymarket and after an hour or so, took a train to the top of the Fife Circle to Glenrothes with Thornton where the train terminated. A class 170 took me to Dunfermline Town, which still retains its original building, and from there I caught another train, a class 170, to take me back to Haymarket. It`s unfortunate that I couldn’t make the Circle mid-week behind one of the class 68`s that presently operate, but you can`t do everything of course. I was also surprised to see the third Forth Bridge, another road being built.

After a time at Haymarket I took a tram from outside the station and out to the new Edinburgh Gateway Interchange, both a tram station and joint railway station have been developed here, which is also convenient for the Tram depot and with a bridge over the top, lends itself to some excellent photographs of depot the yard.

I returned by tram to Murrayfields, which is the tram stop for Haymarket TMD; I wanted to see if it was possible to photograph the sheds from the tram line, but this was not possible, probably the best opportunity to photograph Haymarket TMD would now be from a passing tram. Walking back to Haymarket railway station I caught a train back into Edinburgh Waverley and spent the rest of the afternoon both on the station and in the shopping centre for an early tea. I left on a direct TPX 185 at 16.11 which got me back into Manchester Victoria by 19.30 and after the bus ride home I was back in the house by 20.30. Many thanks for reading, hope you enjoy the photographs.

https://www.facebook.com/nick.melli...22891938561.1073742614.100001125840218&type=3

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
I look forward to viewing the pictures when at home.

Although you wouldn't have caught a class 190 back from Dunfermline as they don't exist, most likely would have been a 170.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like quite a beast of a time all in, although the hostel sounds grim. Those days are well behind me thankfully!

shredder1

Established Member
I look forward to viewing the pictures when at home.

Although you wouldn't have caught a class 190 back from Dunfermline as they don't exist, most likely would have been a 170.

Old age, it was a 170, many thanks sir, I`ll change it.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sounds like quite a beast of a time all in, although the hostel sounds grim. Those days are well behind me thankfully!

Thanks very much, it was a lot better than some of the Eastern European hostels I`ve stayed in, lol and at 65 I`m not sure when my days of hostelling will be behind me, lol

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Good reading there Shredder1. Last time I went to Edinburgh they were still building the tram system (and there was a lot of complaining going on actually), great city though.
I'd like to look at your photos but I have fbf (facebookfear). Maybe I'll get Mrs C to look them up for me later though.

noddy1878

Established Member
Good day out by the sounds of it. Next time you can try for the mid week and get the 68s in! I can't see the pictures either unfortunately. I don't have a Facebook fear but I left it a few years ago!

shredder1

Established Member
Good reading there Shredder1. Last time I went to Edinburgh they were still building the tram system (and there was a lot of complaining going on actually), great city though.
I'd like to look at your photos but I have fbf (facebookfear). Maybe I'll get Mrs C to look them up for me later though.

Thank you very much for your comments Cowley, I should really set up a separate photosite, but I`ve been using FB for so long now and it has hundreds of albums in my gallaries, it would take me an age to set them up again, some go back to the 60`s
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Good day out by the sounds of it. Next time you can try for the mid week and get the 68s in! I can't see the pictures either unfortunately. I don't have a Facebook fear but I left it a few years ago!

Thank you very much, yes mid-week would be night, I`m still working full time though and any mid-week breaks I`m usually away on the continent, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.