• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh but not Waverley

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
The Airdrie and Bathgate PIS always announced it as just Edinburgh.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mcmad

Larbert shows just Edinburgh on the displays, not sure what the 385's announce onboard.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
When I was a boy - a very long time ago! - London termini were known only by their original name. There was none of this London Kings Cross or London Waterloo waffle. It was Kings Cross, Waterloo, Paddington etc. If the nomenclature of London's major stations needed to be changed, why are we going in the opposite direction with Edinburgh Waverley? Edinburgh, like London, every year receives enormous numbers of visitors who are unfamiliar with the transport system.
Exactly, so why confuse them by calling it Waverley? Edinburgh is where it is.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The E&G service is was on a few weeks ago stated "Edinburgh Waverly" on the PIS both visual and audio.
Well it shouldn’t then. Whether or not the “Waverley” is needed is debatable, but to spell it wrong as well! Bad image for customers

MDB1images

It can cause confusion especially to foreign tourists who sometimes think Edinburgh and Edinburgh Waverley are two separate stations.
As for Haymarket it's just that in my opinion although have had elderly local passengers complain it's not been announced as Edinburgh Haymarket.

Easiest is just calling them Haymarket and Edinburgh as locals know where they are and non locals don't get confused by it!

AlbertBeale

Established Member
It can cause confusion especially to foreign tourists who sometimes think Edinburgh and Edinburgh Waverley are two separate stations.
As for Haymarket it's just that in my opinion although have had elderly local passengers complain it's not been announced as Edinburgh Haymarket.

Easiest is just calling them Haymarket and Edinburgh as locals know where they are and non locals don't get confused by it!

The point is consistency. But since so many people know Waverley as Waverley, and aren't going to stop calling it that, and it is the main Edinburgh station, then it surely ought to be always referred to as Edinburgh Waverley in official railway maps and timetables, and so on. Then if people hear it called Waverley, they'll know it is that Edinburgh station. I think calling it just Edinburgh is more confusing for non-locals. (I speak as a non-local.)

Jonny

Established Member
Sticking to Tyneside, Teams is usually referred to as The Teams and Low Fell is sometimes called The Fell.

And of course trains call at The Central Station.

The Metro is Central Station; the adjoining National Rail station is Newcastle. Which is missing the -upon-Tyne bit.

xotGD

Established Member
The Metro is Central Station; the adjoining National Rail station is Newcastle. Which is missing the -upon-Tyne bit.
I'm not referring to official names. I'm referring to what Geordies call it. It is The Central Station.

If you catch a bus or a taxi, you tell the driver that you are going to The Central Station.

There used to adverts for a local builders' merchant: "JT Dove - Behind the Central Station"

takno

Established Member

Personally I'd call it Edinburgh Haymarket and advertise the Edinburgh-Glasgow time as 37 minutes, but maybe I've just spent too long with the marketing department...

Clansman

Established Member
Personally I'd call it Edinburgh Haymarket and advertise the Edinburgh-Glasgow time as 37 minutes, but maybe I've just spent too long with the marketing department...
You forgot to add "greener, faster, longer, best railway Scotland's ever had"

MDB1images

The point is consistency. But since so many people know Waverley as Waverley, and aren't going to stop calling it that, and it is the main Edinburgh station, then it surely ought to be always referred to as Edinburgh Waverley in official railway maps and timetables, and so on. Then if people hear it called Waverley, they'll know it is that Edinburgh station. I think calling it just Edinburgh is more confusing for non-locals. (I speak as a non-local.)

Take your point on consistency (tbh I thought all TOCs did call it Edinburgh- it's only since I read this thread that I noticed some Scotrail services don't).

bramling

Veteran Member

There’s a few stations which have inconsistency with naming. Whilst to railway enthusiasts they may represent anything from an irritation to a welcome quirk, to regular passengers it can create confusion - especially where one name is in common use locally.

Ones off the top of my head:

St Albans - locally known as “City station” and the name “St Albans City” seems to have come back into vogue in recent years to the extent that it now seems to be the official name.

Lincoln - frequently known as “Lincoln Central”, and locally “Central station”. Again seems to be a bit of an identity crisis as at King’s Cross the departure board refers to “Lincoln” yet the announcer says “Lincoln Central”.

Hull - frequently referred to as “Hull Paragon” and no doubt locally as just “Paragon”. Definitely a case for using the long title, which it seems Hull Trains at least already do.

Colchester is another where many locally refer to “North station”, although this isn’t heard so often officially. Given the distance from the town and the fact there’s a separate station, there’s definitely a strong case for renaming to “Colchester North”.

Derby - some signage refers to “Derby Midland”, although in this case the suffix isn’t so commonly heard even locally.

It’s all well and good going for snappier titles, however if they’re not commonly used locally then it doesn’t work.

No doubt there’s other examples.

Clansman

Established Member
Take your point on consistency (tbh I thought all TOCs did call it Edinburgh- it's only since I read this thread that I noticed some Scotrail services don't).
All ScotRail services' automated announcements say "Haymarket" and "Edinburgh Waverley".

LNER also use these exact terms both on their paper destinations on the 225s and on the automated announcements on the Azumas.

The only TOC that doesnt use 'Waverley' is TPE - and even then guards will still announce it and destination boards down south still display the name in full, and Haymarket on it's own.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
I'm not referring to official names. I'm referring to what Geordies call it. It is The Central Station.

If you catch a bus or a taxi, you tell the driver that you are going to The Central Station.

There used to adverts for a local builders' merchant: "JT Dove - Behind the Central Station"

In London, Central Station is a friendly pub near Kings Cross.

MDB1images

All ScotRail services' automated announcements say "Haymarket" and "Edinburgh Waverley".

LNER also use these exact terms both on their paper destinations on the 225s and on the automated announcements on the Azumas.

The only TOC that doesnt use 'Waverley' is TPE - and even then guards will still announce it and destination boards down south still display the name in full, and Haymarket on it's own.

The OP seems to indicate Scotrail may have also dropped it from Sunday?
Certainly TPE & Avanti (Virgin as was) don't use Waverley on automated announcements, the monitors on board don't display it, pretty sure the station monitors en route don't either (got me thinking, I'll double check tomorrow as on a Edinburgh!).

SteveyBee131

There’s a few stations which have inconsistency with naming. Whilst to railway enthusiasts they may represent anything from an irritation to a welcome quirk, to regular passengers it can create confusion - especially where one name is in common use locally.

Ones off the top of my head:

St Albans - locally known as “City station” and the name “St Albans City” seems to have come back into vogue in recent years to the extent that it now seems to be the official name.

Lincoln - frequently known as “Lincoln Central”, and locally “Central station”. Again seems to be a bit of an identity crisis as at King’s Cross the departure board refers to “Lincoln” yet the announcer says “Lincoln Central”.

Hull - frequently referred to as “Hull Paragon” and no doubt locally as just “Paragon”. Definitely a case for using the long title, which it seems Hull Trains at least already do.

Colchester is another where many locally refer to “North station”, although this isn’t heard so often officially. Given the distance from the town and the fact there’s a separate station, there’s definitely a strong case for renaming to “Colchester North”.

Derby - some signage refers to “Derby Midland”, although in this case the suffix isn’t so commonly heard even locally.

It’s all well and good going for snappier titles, however if they’re not commonly used locally then it doesn’t work.

No doubt there’s other examples.
Some interesting ones there. Recently I spent a little while in Hull (which I always want to call Kingston, but that's a story for another book!) and I can confirm, the locals of Hull frequently call the station either "Paragon" or "The Paragon". If you was to ask "which way to the station?" the reply would almost always be to the effect of "so to get to Paragon..." rarely if ever "the station"
Well done Hull Trains, Paragon it is!

Clansman

Established Member
The OP seems to indicate Scotrail may have also dropped it from Sunday?
Certainly TPE & Avanti (Virgin as was) don't use Waverley on automated announcements, the monitors on board don't display it, pretty sure the station monitors en route don't either (got me thinking, I'll double check tomorrow as on a Edinburgh!).
All the ScotRail ones still announce 'Waverley', unless they are reffering to the 385s which have a new set of automated recordings which I understand have got ScotRail dithering about the terminology on them (eg Glasgow Queen Street 'High Level'). The new automated announcements on the HST refurbs still use 'Waverley'.

a new set of automated recordings which I understand have got ScotRail dithering about the terminology on them (eg Glasgow Queen Street 'High Level')
Can't say I use the route very often but on top of the automated 'Edinburgh Haymarket' I find 'Glasgow Queen Street High Level' rather annoying too. Is it common (and necessary) to distinguish between platform levels in every single announcement? Do the platform levels really qualify as different stations? And do any other stations have names made of five separate words? Well, apart from Glasgow Queen Street Low Level or LLanfairpwllgwyngyll... etc

David M

I find 'Glasgow Queen Street High Level' rather annoying too.

Saying Glasgow Queen Street High level doesn't really bother me but approaching Queen Street the announcement is something like:
"we will shortly arrive at Glasgow Queen street High level...change here for servoces from Glasgow Queen Street High Level."
I fail to understand why Low Level isn't mentioned as that's probably where the majority would be transferring to.

route101

Established Member
Saying Glasgow Queen Street High level doesn't really bother me but approaching Queen Street the announcement is something like:
"we will shortly arrive at Glasgow Queen street High level...change here for servoces from Glasgow Queen Street High Level."
I fail to understand why Low Level isn't mentioned as that's probably where the majority would be transferring to.

A fair whack are going to trains at Glasgow Central ha

Isn't it the case that when any train arrives at Glasgow Queen Street High Level it's a terminus so everybody has to get off regardless?

takno

Established Member
Isn't it the case that when any train arrives at Glasgow Queen Street High Level it's a terminus so everybody has to get off regardless?
You would think. Something more along the lines of "the train finishes here. Take yer stuff and hoppit. There's trains to other places, a taxi rank, some bus stops, and if you fancy a wee trot there's another station just over the way. Otherwise, why not enjoy all that sunny Glasgow has to offer - taps aff in George Square, a cheeky wee bottle of bucky, and maybe later slip a cone on the iron duke's heid. But most of all ladies and gentlemen, away wi youse"

xotGD

Established Member
There used to be through services. The Euston - Fort William overnight and, for a short period, the Clansman used to run in and out of the station.

Killingworth

Established Member

As a lad I'd go spotting at either Manors (didn't need a platform ticket) or The Central. My father would always speak of Waverley expecting any normal person to know that was Edinburgh, where else?

However, within the next few years there may be a new Waverley station, in South Yorkshire to the East of Sheffield.

You might be more familiar with the area as Orgreave, the site of a famous Battle during the miners strike over 30 years ago. After open casting and restoration it's now being redeveloped for housing. A station is proposed on the line from Sheffield to Lincoln.

It had me puzzled when I heard talk of Waverley round here!

Status
Not open for further replies.