• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh to Belfast with bicycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricS

I was looking to go from Edinburgh to Belfast with a bicycle, going out and returning on weekdays in May.

You can't take bikes on the Ayr to Cairnryan coach that connects with the ferry.

The plan was: leaving Edinburgh at 07:57, and changing at Glasgow Central for the 09:38 train to Stranraer, then cycling to Cairnryan. I'd expect the cycle to take 40 minutes, but in case of a late train/puncture/etc, would prefer to allow 1:30 for this journey, in addition to the 30 minute minimum checkin time for the ferry. I'd like to be booked on the 15:30 ferry sailing.

It would be best to buy the tickets and get the cycle reservation simultaneously, to avoid the risk of booking tickets on a date when there aren't any cycle reservations available.

I don't have a railcard. The tickets I hoped to buy were £29 Edinburgh to Belfast rail&sail tickets in each direction, and a £22.30 off-peak return from Ayr to Stranraer, for a total of £80.30. (Plus the £10 each way bicycle charge for the ferry, which I believe you can pay when boarding.)

(Hoping to avoid buying the ferry ticket separately to the train ticket, because that is £28 + £10 each way just for the ferry, and works out more expensive.)

Scotrail telesales have just told me they can't sell me my preferred combination, and I would have to buy the £29 rail&sail tickets plus a ticket all the way from Glasgow Central to Stranraer. Are they right in saying my preferred combination isn't possible? Would it be worth asking at my local station's ticket office (not a Scotrail station) as well?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Swirlz

Raileasy will sell a £29 Edinburgh - Belfast ticket, but only as follows:

Leg 1
Departs from Edinburgh Waverley at 05:55
Arrives at Glasgow Queen Street at 06:49

Train Operator: First Scotrail

Leg 2
Travel from Glasgow Queen Street to Glasgow Central
Mode Walking
Change time 00:25
Transit time 00:05

Leg 3
Departs from Glasgow Central at 07:30
Arrives at Ayr at 08:23

Leg 4
Departs from Ayr at 08:40
Arrives at Cairnryan at 09:55

Transport for this leg is via Bus

Leg 5
Departs from Cairnryan at 11:30
Arrives at Belfast Port at 13:45

Transport for this leg is via Ferry

Not sure whether you can do cycle reservations online though.

EricS

Thanks. The only problem with that itinerary, I'd have to get the 08:37 AYR-STR train, arriving at 09:58. Last checkin for the 11:30 ferry is meant to be 11:00, which leaves me 1:02 to cycle the 7 miles. I actually think it should only take me 35 minutes to cycle that, but I'd rather allow more time in case of eventualities like a late train, puncture, etc.

Also, that itinerary uses the GLC-AYR train that terminates at Ayr, and a separate AYR-STR train, which are I think are both non-reservable for bicycles. Whereas I think you can reserve bicycles on the train that goes all the way GLC-STR.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Does he actually need to buy an Ayr to Stranraer ticket as well as the SailRail tickets? I was under the impression that SailRail passengers were still allowed to travel by train all the way to Stranraer and then make their own way to the ferry at Cairnryan.

Last edited:

EricS

That would be great if true. I don't know how you would find this out: if you try to use the routeing guide, you find that Belfast isn't even in the routeing point identifier document.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
The man at Seat61 seems to think that you can only take the train as far as Ayr. I definitely remember that around the time that ferries were moved to Cairnryan it was stated somewhere that SaiRail tickets could still be used all the way to Stranraer if the passenger preferred. Whether this was just a proposal, a temporary arrangement or still in force I do not know.

defitzi

since the move to Cairnryan was announced I have tried ( without success), to ascertain from Scotrail media if sail rail would continue to be valid via Stranraer for disabled, cyclists and travellers with heavy luggage as the coach would have severe limitations.I have also reported and myself suggested that local enterprise council etc might have considered a minibus of the type that has space for baggage, wheelchairs etc. Alas...no response. An Ayr-Stranraer service coach passes Cairnryan at intervals.My own belief is Stena and Scotrail want to project an image of fast inter city timings while Scotrail appears to be keeping traffic figures at a minimum for a time when and if it wants to close the Girvan Stranraer or even Ayr Stranraer services. As between them, Stena and Scotrail control route ticketing which is THE NEXT available service between Glasgow and Cairnryan. Sadly, P&O who run a fast ferry Larne (railhead NIR Translink)/ Troon for half the year, have never shown any interest in a sail-rail link which could be very fast, There is room for enterprise here both at the Stranraer end of the Stena/ Scotrail and & Larne Troon operations....especially as there are no longer any convenient options for travel Eastwards as the Ayr Kilrarnock Dumfries Carlile options appears to have been summarily closed too, despite hundreds of promised over the years to maintain a Carlisle Stranraer service. But then, we Ulster travellers know how little promises to maintain our traditional access services actually mean ..... .

EricS

defitze,
As you say, it would be nice if they would cater for people who still want to go via Stranraer, but it seems likely that the reason for the official rail&sail coach going from Ayr to Cairnryan is that they can achieve a faster time that way.

It would certainly be a shame for cyclists if Stranraer's train service were to stop altogether. I've packed up bicycles to put them on Ryanair before and it's much more stress and hassle than using the train and ferry!

That said, thanks for pointing out the Troon-Larne ferry -- I didn't know about that, and despite the lack of combined rail&sail tickets it might still be more convenient for my journey, and about the same price.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
I've found the source saying that SaiRail tickets could still be used via Stranraer after the ferry moved to Cairnryan. See post#24 at
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57201&page=2
that quotes from the seat61.com website.

However, seat61.com are now saying that the opposit is true. I don't know when this change was snuck in but it is clearly a retrograde step for cyclists, etc.

bkhtele

I would try your local ticket office or buy the tickets separately booking the bike to Ayr & then Ayr to stran. I am sure you will have no problems with the tickets. The Troon ferry is a good alternative but the fast ferry can be a bit of a lottery if the Irish sea is rough- you could end up in Cairnryan if the fast ferry is cancelled. Alternatively phone Scot rail again you may get someone different who is happy to do your booking! Remember the rail sail tickets are flexible and are not limited to a particular train.

I was looking to go from Edinburgh to Belfast with a bicycle, going out and returning on weekdays in May.

You can't take bikes on the Ayr to Cairnryan coach that connects with the ferry.

The plan was: leaving Edinburgh at 07:57, and changing at Glasgow Central for the 09:38 train to Stranraer, then cycling to Cairnryan. I'd expect the cycle to take 40 minutes, but in case of a late train/puncture/etc, would prefer to allow 1:30 for this journey, in addition to the 30 minute minimum checkin time for the ferry. I'd like to be booked on the 15:30 ferry sailing.

It would be best to buy the tickets and get the cycle reservation simultaneously, to avoid the risk of booking tickets on a date when there aren't any cycle reservations available.

I don't have a railcard. The tickets I hoped to buy were £29 Edinburgh to Belfast rail&sail tickets in each direction, and a £22.30 off-peak return from Ayr to Stranraer, for a total of £80.30. (Plus the £10 each way bicycle charge for the ferry, which I believe you can pay when boarding.)

(Hoping to avoid buying the ferry ticket separately to the train ticket, because that is £28 + £10 each way just for the ferry, and works out more expensive.)

Scotrail telesales have just told me they can't sell me my preferred combination, and I would have to buy the £29 rail&sail tickets plus a ticket all the way from Glasgow Central to Stranraer. Are they right in saying my preferred combination isn't possible? Would it be worth asking at my local station's ticket office (not a Scotrail station) as well?

defitzi

the answer simply is Stena First Scotrail just DO NOT WANT BICYCLES adult fare for Scotland zone A roughly to a line between Fort William Dundee and as far south as Dumfries is £29 single buy anytime return within one month and they won't take wheelchairs bloody don't want disabled or cyclists all of them KNEW this when they delineated the Sail rail via Cairnryan Ayr a deliberate decision was taken to ensure the Stranraer town (private taxi etc) would not be allowed either although that is/waqs , the only practical route for cyclists, large baggage or disabled. Also the coach link enables Stena to control all movement. It might be possible to engage a taxi in advance for the Cairnryan Ayr portion as here are extended waiting times offship at Cairnryan on Belfast legs and a frantic rush to get on the coach in the other direction.Walking disabled would do well to insist a vehicle is available to transport them ON and OFF the ship either end as both ends have a very very long rampway system.

Status
Not open for further replies.