• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh to Birmingham First Class split

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengolding

I may need to travel from Edinburgh to Birmingham tomorrow, but won't find out for sure until the morning so no point in booking an FC AP ticket.

Since the journey times are an hour quicker, I'll probably go via the WCML. The First Class single is £201. Just had a quick look online and I could bring the fare down with this split of FC tickets:

Edinburgh - Crewe: £142.50
Crewe - Wolverhampton: £28.10
Wolverhampton - Birmingham Int: £5.20
Total: £175.80

A good saving on the single fare, but any way of bringing it down further with buy on the day FC tickets?

Incidently, Virgin have started a price war in the West Midlands by launching their own fares between Coventry-Birmingham-Wolverhampton, where they would get 100% of the revenue. A nice little earner for them, but seeing as ticket checks are so rare on this route, I don't see how it can be enforced on other operators. This now results in an anomaly that the VT FC fare from Wolves to Birmingham Int is cheaper than to New St.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tony_mac

Established Member
You could split at Warrington or Wigan, then get a Huyton to Wolverhampton single (priced by London Midland).

According to the routeing guide it's valid via Warrington, but NRES also allows via Wigan.

117.50 + 30.50 + 5.20 = £153.20 (split at Warrington, Wolverhampton)

(or adding a Warrington split to your original suggestion would help , if you just want the obvious routes)
117.50 + 13.20 + 28.10 + 5.20 = £163

bengolding

That's great Tony, thanks for that tip. If I do travel, I'll follow your suggestion and purchase those tickets from Edinburgh tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.