• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh to Newcastle & Return Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esker-pades

Established Member
During the LNER diversions via Carlisle, I am planning the following trip:
15:38 Edinburgh to Newcastle arr 18:52
19:08 Newcastle to Edinburgh arr 22:00
I would like to book advance tickets.
If the outbound service is late enough for me to miss the return, would I be able to travel on a later service without paying the full fare? The minimum interchange time at Newcastle is 8 minutes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
During the LNER diversions via Carlisle, I am planning the following trip:
15:38 Edinburgh to Newcastle arr 18:52
19:08 Newcastle to Edinburgh arr 22:00
I would like to book advance tickets.
If the outbound service is late enough for me to miss the return, would I be able to travel on a later service without paying the full fare? The minimum interchange time at Newcastle is 8 minutes.

I don't see why not as you're travelling on a valid, albeit peculiar to the general population itenaray. You may have some staff ask why you've travelled up to come back down again, some may genuinely be curious. I'd ask LNER to see if they can side with you (would be a nice piece of proof incase of any trouble)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'd avoid that if at all possible; I'd say in theory yes but I am not sure we can conclusively say so.

One thought: what is your journey? If your journey is Edinburgh to Edinburgh and delays become apparent before Carlisle, someone might argue that you should re-route yourself and head back at Carlisle. If you are making two separate journeys, then it's unclear whether or not the minimum interchange time applies.

I guess someone could have a genuine need to undertake such journeys returning promptly after arrival; they may be carrying out a delivery or document exchange. But would it be wise to plan to do so, with such a short turnaround?

Can you plan to have a bit of time in Newcastle? There is plenty to see and do there; if you want something rail related you could do a circular trip around the coastal loop.

I think they should allow you on the next train personally but I am not sure all staff would be keen on it.

Esker-pades

Established Member
Thanks all for your replies.

I'd avoid that if at all possible; I'd say in theory yes but I am not sure we can conclusively say so.

One thought: what is your journey? If your journey is Edinburgh to Edinburgh and delays become apparent before Carlisle, someone might argue that you should re-route yourself and head back at Carlisle. If you are making two separate journeys, then it's unclear whether or not the minimum interchange time applies.

I guess someone could have a genuine need to undertake such journeys returning promptly after arrival; they may be carrying out a delivery or document exchange. But would it be wise to plan to do so, with such a short turnaround?

Can you plan to have a bit of time in Newcastle? There is plenty to see and do there; if you want something rail related you could do a circular trip around the coastal loop.

I think they should allow you on the next train personally but I am not sure all staff would be keen on it.

My journey is technically Edinburgh to Edinburgh. As I'm only really using Newcastle as a turn-back point, I could argue that split ticket rules apply, but I'm really not sure.

As for to short turnaround, I want to set aside some time in the morning for possible university work whilst being on an IC225 set in one direction. If I go in the morning, then that effectively blocks out the whole day. By having a near tea-time departure, I can get a reasonable amount of work done before I do a leisure activity.

I don't see why not as you're travelling on a valid, albeit peculiar to the general population itenaray. You may have some staff ask why you've travelled up to come back down again, some may genuinely be curious. I'd ask LNER to see if they can side with you (would be a nice piece of proof incase of any trouble)

Which bit of LNER should I contact? Would a social media confirmation suffice, or should I use a more formal channel?

_toommm_

Established Member
Thanks all for your replies.

My journey is technically Edinburgh to Edinburgh. As I'm only really using Newcastle as a turn-back point, I could argue that split ticket rules apply, but I'm really not sure.

As for to short turnaround, I want to set aside some time in the morning for possible university work whilst being on an IC225 set in one direction. If I go in the morning, then that effectively blocks out the whole day. By having a near tea-time departure, I can get a reasonable amount of work done before I do a leisure activity.

Which bit of LNER should I contact? Would a social media confirmation suffice, or should I use a more formal channel?

Try Twitter they're nice, but whether they have a knowledge of the NRCOT or not...

Like yorkie said, try to leave more time, unless you're specifically travelling on a HST or a Mallard or some other reason.

Esker-pades

Established Member
See the uploaded screenshot of my conversation with them on Facebook.

It seems to say yes, although I'm drawn to the word "connecting".

Full Text:
Felix(Me) said:
Hello. I have a query for my journey on the 22nd of September from Edinburgh to Newcastle and return.

I have booked advanced tickets on the 15:38 service from Edinburgh to Newcastle, which arrives as 18:52. My return is booked on the 19:08 from Newcastle back to Edinburgh, arriving at 22:00. If my first train is delayed, will I be able to board a train after the 19:08 without an additional charge?

I have allowed 16 minutes to change, and the minimum interchange time for Newcastle is 8 minutes. Thanks.

LNER said:
If you experience any delay, that affects your connecting service, please speak to the station staff, who will be able to validate your ticket for the next available service. ^AC

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180908-214012.png
    Screenshot_20180908-214012.png
    219.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Esker-pades

Established Member
They appear to have confirmed that any delay will mean that I can use the next train.

Felix(Me) said:
I'm confused by the word "connecting". As the two journeys are separate (Edinburgh to Newcastle then Newcastle to Edinburgh), I am worried that this will not apply to my situation.

LNER said:
I misread the message. Yes any delay to your service, your ticket can be validated for the next service. The station staff will be aware of any delays or disruption to services. ^AC

Felix(Me) said:
That's all right. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180908-214823.png
    Screenshot_20180908-214823.png
    214.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

I'd say that validates it. But if you can edit your post to include a hyperlink and text quote that'd be great, thanks :)

_toommm_

Established Member

Seems like a generic response, but I can't possibly see what possible way it can be misconstrued by station staff if worst comes to worst and you do miss your 'connecting service'

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Edited. I haven't included a hyperlink as it was done via Facebook Messenger.
That's great, thanks :) It looked like it might be from Twitter; we do ask for the source to be mentioned to avoid confusion, thanks for doing that :)

superalbs

Established Member
Would there not be a booking engine (such as Trainsplit), that could sell you a combination of tickets for a 'one-way' journey from Edinburgh, to say, Haymarket, via Newcastle? That way, it's one through journey, under one through booking.

_toommm_

Established Member
Would there not be a booking engine (such as Trainsplit), that could sell you a combination of tickets for a 'one-way' journey from Edinburgh, to say, Haymarket, via Newcastle? That way, it's one through journey, under one through booking.

No as you'd be doubling back massively, and any itenaray would be a massive glitch, leaving the OP open to even more stick off staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.