• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Edinburgh tram system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Humberside

As far as I know the SNP wanted to scrap it, but then Labour, the Lib Dems and Conservatives would have passed a no confidence vote in the SNP government, and possibly caused new elections. So the SNP had to back down and allow the tram scheme to go ahead. But they wont fund any cost overruns or further expansion of the network beyond what was funded by the previous Labour/Lib Dem government

Simple answer: Work has begun and it will go ahead on a reduced budget thanks to mr salmond..the big tube!

Markinch

Markinch (Rìoghachd Fìobha - Brenhiniaeth Ffeiff)
So, if the Edinburgh trams are going ahead, why is Trainspot Scotland recommending that the new Forth crossing be road only? I thought the idea was to use it, as well as for road, for light rail linking into the Edinburgh tram system and helping to relieve congestion on the full-to-capacity, standing-room-only heavy rail link over the Forth Bridge.

Humberside

Just a guess, but probably because the current Scottish Executive wouldnt fund the tram lines on the bridge, and other associated tram lines that would be needed. And I doubt local councils and private investors could fund it alone

The current Scotish Executive will only fund what Labour/Lib Dems committed to, and that is only because they have to in order to avoid a vote of 'no confidence' and possible new elections

Status
Not open for further replies.