• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Effects of COVID absences on signalling staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
It's good to know that the value of a proper break for food is still respected on the railways in 2021. So many companies would force employees to work through a break to cover rather than bring things to a halt temporarily.

When you're doing something safety-critical that requires essentially complete attention (as signalling does), I think it is only right that you have a mandated break occasionally. You really don't want to let fatigue set in.

Having done similar types of simulations & other roles, it is surprisingly hard once you realise the attention it requires.

No, full pay and no disadvantage with loss of RDW if booked ie, if your booked a RDW turn then book sick you’ll still get your allocated RDW.

I heard recently that a recent change had meant if you were not vaccinated and sick with Covid for NR you would be treated as sick (i.e counting towards absence totals) as opposed to the special status for Covid sickness that had been in place for most of the pandemic?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Signal_Box

When you're doing something safety-critical that requires essentially complete attention (as signalling does), I think it is only right that you have a mandated break occasionally. You really don't want to let fatigue set in.

Having done similar types of simulations & other roles, it is surprisingly hard once you realise the attention it requires.

I heard recently that a recent change had meant if you were not vaccinated and sick with Covid for NR you would be treated as sick (i.e counting towards absence totals) as opposed to the special status for Covid sickness that had been in place for most of the pandemic?

I heard that as well, IF true it’s a shocking and very worrying development!

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I'd argue that is more of an issue with their regular sickness policy than anything else (ie. staff shouldn't be punished for being ill, be it covid or any other illness).
Covid shouldn't have a special status when it comes to sickness policies, it is just sickness policies should be changed to actually be fair and not punitive!

Established Member
That’s the railway, and a old fashioned concept of a Union to enforce staff breaks.

Absolutely.

On that note, am I right in thinking single manned boxes don’t get a PNB as such, but are expected to exercise discretion to take their breaks around their workload?

I'd argue that is more of an issue with their regular sickness policy than anything else (ie. staff shouldn't be punished for being ill, be it covid or any other illness).
Covid shouldn't have a special status when it comes to sickness policies, it is just sickness policies should be changed to actually be fair and not punitive!
Absence policies tend to be targeted at regular short term absence, on the basis that one day per month for three months can be more disruptive to the business than someone taking (say) a block of a week off once in the same period. That shouldn’t cause a problem so long as the policy is applied consistently and fairly. As many of us are aware Covid related absence has been excluded from these policies for much of the last two years by many employers and I’m sorry to say some people have used this as a license to take the Micky (for example, claiming they need to isolate with symptoms, only to receive a negative PCR test several times over). That isn’t at all fair on colleagues who generally end up working harder as a result.

One thing we can agree on: Covid related absence needs to be treated exactly the same as any other sickness absence.

Last edited:

Signal_Box

That’s correct yes, some single manned locations have area meal reliefs who drive from box fo box to do the meal breaks - I think there’s a few in London which have this set up.

The majority of locations self manage their own Breaks though.

Status
Not open for further replies.