• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Electric bus fire Paris

Status
Not open for further replies.

102 fan

I wasn't too sure where to place this!

The video shows an electric bus catching fire in Paris. What surprised me was the speed of the fire.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SargeNpton

Established Member
Two recent fires in Parisian electric buses caused 149 vehicles to be suspended from service at the end of April...

Mawkie

The video shows an electric bus catching fire in Paris. What surprised me was the speed of the fire.
The speed of the electric scooter fires on London Underground was no doubt a deciding factor in banning them completely. I'm surprised the Pompiers where able to control anything - as I understand it, when a battery thermal runaway occurs, it's fast and exceedingly difficult to extinguish.

Two recent fires in Parisian electric buses caused 149 vehicles to be suspended from service at the end of April...
This appears to be an entirely French manufacturer, but do you know if they used the same battery technology as the buses in the Potters Bar fire earlier this month?

I suppose every developing technology takes a while to reach maturity, and the fast development of these super-high intensity LiPo batteries is treading a similar path to so many previous industries.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
The scary thing is the way it's showering molten lava over the door, so that if you were in the bus you would be afraid to remain but afraid to leave.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
That is a terrifying fire and this video should be of the utmost concern to all electric bus operators, Sadly, I don't see it as being a 'one-off' and, should it occur on a loaded bus, there would likely be many casualties. The driver of the following bus should be commended for his prompt actions too: lucky (or perhaps not?) that he'd allowed the gap between them when he stopped.

PeterC

Established Member
That is a terrifying fire and this video should be of the utmost concern to all electric bus operators, Sadly, I don't see it as being a 'one-off' and, should it occur on a loaded bus, there would likely be many casualties. The driver of the following bus should be commended for his prompt actions too: lucky (or perhaps not?) that he'd allowed the gap between them when he stopped.
If this is such a high risk why aren't we panicking over electric cars?

102 fan

It may have something to do with the incident being from a month ago? Certainly French and in particular Paris based outlets did cover it.

I didn't see it a month ago in any news, and considering it's the technology we're being told is the future, I would of thought it was newsworthy.

TRAX

Established Member
This appears to be an entirely French manufacturer, but do you know if they used the same battery technology as the buses in the Potters Bar fire earlier this month?

The batteries are made in-house by the manufacturer of the bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.