• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Electrification that is likely to be delivered in the next 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike57

Established Member
I think everyone agrees that electrification of main routes is a good idea, but a question, what new electrification is likely to be delivered and working by 2031.

I actually feel quite pessimistic, previous project cost/time over runs, state of national finances post covid, the search for a method of rail delivery that works (GBR etc) and the time it takes to complete projects compared with say 50 years ago.

I know everyone has their pet project, but where are we likely to be realistically?

I would hope that we have completed Transpennine North and MML, but even these two projects seem to be beset with delays and push backs, so that probably leaves a few fill in projects.

The reason for the '10 year' look ahead, priorities change, work and travel patterns change, and sometimes its hard to even look 1 or 2 years ahead with any certainty, and anything more than 10 years is really just not going to reflect where we may actually be.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bigman

Yes but thats part of the bigger TPE north, only 80x will be able to use it, local services will still be diesel or bi-mode if we get any, so I see it as a part of a bigger project
The Leeds to York stopper is a self enclosed service so would benefit from a 331/333 with better acceleration up the hills. The LNER Leeds - Aberdeen would also use the wires as you refer to.

PTR 444

Established Member
At the very minimum, I would say that the following lines MUST be wired by the end of the decade:
  • Midland Main Line
  • Erewash Valley Line
  • Sheffield - Doncaster/Moorthorpe
  • Manchester - Huddersfield - Leeds - Church Fenton
  • Chiltern Main Line
  • Snow Hill Lines
  • Birmingham - Derby
  • Birmimgham - Nuneaton - Leicester - Peterborough - Ely - Ipswich - Felixstowe
  • Wolverhampton - Shrewsbury
  • Bromsgrove - Bristol Parkway
  • Gloucester - Severn Tunnel Junction
  • Reading - Basingstoke
  • Newbury - Bedwyn
  • Chippenham - Bristol TM
  • Bristol Parkway - Bristol TM
  • Didcot - Banbury
  • Leamington Spa - Coventry - Nuneaton
  • CLC Liverpool - Manchester
  • Windermere branch

Although in reality I suspect only 2% of this will actually happen before 1/1/30

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
HS2 to Birmingham and Crewe
Core Valley Lines (Cardiff, discontinuous wiring)
Barrhead/East Kilbride
Bolton-Wigan
- whatever the Integrated Rail Plan approves next week (probably TPU and MML)
- some local schemes with a high conversion rate from diesel to electric

The list will be longer if NR can demonstrate a lower electrification cost base than the CP5 schemes.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The LNER Leeds - Aberdeen would also use the wires as you refer to.
Though if the aborted May 2022 timetable ever gets launched that service is deleted and starts back from London instead....

The Planner

Veteran Member
Bear in mind CP7 ends in 2029, there is no clue about how much money the railway will get for that control period and nothing is committed or funded yet. I wouldn't be expecting a massive list. Expecting massive cross country routes is wishful thinking.

gg1

Established Member
In terms of schemes completed by 2030, short extensions, infill or branches are sadly the best we can hope for I think, likely candidates mentioned earlier in the the thread are the Windemere branch, Newbury to Bedwyn and Bolton to Wigan. Hopefully there will be a number of more substantial schemes in progress but not yet completed by that point too.

What really SHOULD happen by 2030 is the start of a rolling programme of electrification with the eventual aim of electrifying at least 90% of the network by the 2040s but I don't hold out high hopes for that.

brad465

Established Member
Everything cut back from the GW electrification should be getting done as a lot of the preparatory work is already complete, thinking specifically of Chippenham to Bristol TM, Filton Bank and Didcot to Oxford. If the Bristol Metro project goes ahead I'd expect electrification to accompany that too.

zwk500

Veteran Member
For me, Didcot-Oxford, GWML via Bath and Filton Bank to Bristol TM are obvious ones. Birmingham Snow Hill lines would be my next target, but not sure the government will commit to a project of that scale that doesn't connect into any already existing lines.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
HS2 to Birmingham and Crewe
Core Valley Lines (Cardiff, discontinuous wiring)
Barrhead/East Kilbride
Bolton-Wigan
- whatever the Integrated Rail Plan approves next week (probably TPU and MML)
- some local schemes with a high conversion rate from diesel to electric

The list will be longer if NR can demonstrate a lower electrification cost base than the CP5 schemes.

That is a very conservative list sir.

Although I agree, I think for sheer political pressure reasons that MML and Transpennine in full will get done.

Anyway, in the spirit of the thread here is my list.

1. Midland Main Line IN FULL includes Nottingham to Sheffield etc.
2. Once you have Derby electrified then Birmingham – Derby becomes almost “infill”
3. Once you are at Sheffield rolling programme to Doncaster then Leeds then York
4. Manchester - Huddersfield - Leeds - Church Fenton in Full then rolling programme to Selby and Hull
5. Birmimgham - Nuneaton - Leicester - Peterborough - Ely - Ipswich – Felixstowe VERY HIGH PRIORITY FREIGHT LINE
6. Newbury – Bedwyn then rolling programme to the quarries for freight and continue to Taunton.
7. CLC Liverpool – Manchester – important infill
8. Windermere branch -some work done eliminates huge diesel mileage
9. All the missing bits from the Great Western scheme.
10. Chilterns – all of it and remove the 4th rail stuff that interferes

Last edited:

Ken H

On Moderation
Surely it will depend where marginal constituencies are with an electorate that needs bribing.
or is that too cynical?

Ken H

On Moderation
Not really. BTW it is why I put Chilterns at bottom of my list.
cant see any obvious ones for this lot

Link is to image that lists the 26 most marginal constituencies in UK after 2019 general election

What will happen in Leicester East if Claudia Webbe is sent to jail and there is a by-election? Could we see an announcement of electrification of MML north to Leicester as a bribe? One to watch maybe?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
My punt of what is likely to happen:

-Church Fenton to Colton Jn
-Lostock to Wigan
-Kettering to Market Harborough
-HS2 Phase 1/2a
-Bristol Temple Meads via Bristol Parkway (Bath remains unwired due to local opposition)
-Didcot-Oxford
-Windermere
-Parts of TRU (but not all of it), e.g. Manchester-Stalybridge
-East Kilbride
-Maybe Dunblane-Perth

Philip

On Moderation
Is it really realistic to think that the North TPE line won't be electrified in 10 years? The electrification of the line line was projected to be completed this year, 10 years ago!

On Moderation
My punt of what is likely to happen:

-Church Fenton to Colton Jn
-Lostock to Wigan
-Kettering to Market Harborough
-HS2 Phase 1/2a
-Bristol Temple Meads via Bristol Parkway (Bath remains unwired due to local opposition)
-Didcot-Oxford
-Windermere
-Parts of TRU (but not all of it), e.g. Manchester-Stalybridge
-East Kilbride
-Maybe Dunblane-Perth
If we can't get the Midland Main Line to Leeds/Doncaster, Great Western to Bristol (both routes) and Swansea, and Cross-Country infills done in the next decade then the railway is stuffed. With all the focus on climate change, if that isn't delivered we might as well pack up and go home as it will never get done if not now.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Could we see an announcement of electrification of MML north to Leicester as a bribe? One to watch maybe?
MML in full has to go ahead - especially if HS2 Eastern Leg is cancelled - deferred.

Is it really realistic to think that the North TPE line won't be electrified in 10 years? The electrification of the line line was projected to be completed this year, 10 years ago!
Another one that will definitely go ahead imho

Bevan Price

Established Member
That is a very conservative list sir.

Although I agree, I think for sheer political pressure reasons that MML and Transpennine in full will get done.

Anyway, in the spirit of the thread here is my list.

1. Midland Main Line IN FULL includes Nottingham to Sheffield etc.
2. Once you have Derby electrified then Birmingham – Derby becomes almost “infill”
3. Once you are at Sheffield rolling programme to Doncaster then Leeds then York
4. Manchester - Huddersfield - Leeds - Church Fenton in Full then rolling programme to Selby and Hull
5. Birmimgham - Nuneaton - Leicester - Peterborough - Ely - Ipswich – Felixstowe VERY HIGH PRIORITY FREIGHT LINE
6. Newbury – Bedwyn then rolling programme to the quarries for freight and continue to Taunton.
7. CLC Liverpool – Manchester – important infill
8. Windermere branch -some work done eliminates huge diesel mileage
9. All the missing bits from the Great Western scheme.
That would be logical & sensible.
I would also add Calder Valley (Manchester - Bradford - Leeds)
Preston & Bolton - Blackburn to Clitheroe, Colne & Todmorden.
Carnforth - Barrow

The reality is that DfT will probably still be trying to delay / defer electrication schemes in 2040.

The Planner

Veteran Member
If we can't get the Midland Main Line to Leeds/Doncaster, Great Western to Bristol (both routes) and Swansea, and Cross-Country infills done in the next decade then the railway is stuffed. With all the focus on climate change, if that isn't delivered we might as well pack up and go home as it will never get done if not now.
You won't get cross country as it doesn't release anything until the vast majority of it is done, it isn't high up on the NR regions lists.

Dr Day

Electrification still needs a business case, which gets harder on routes with limited journey time improvement potential. I can’t see the costs of civil engineering works coming down but it wouldn’t surprise me if battery or hydrogen get relatively cheaper for those types of route hence pushing more decarbonisation rather than electrification.
With the current financial situation sadly I can’t see value for money getting any less of a priority in terms of investment decisions.

PTR 444

Established Member
There was a good post in another thread a few months ago explaining that extensive electrification may not be required on all lines if battery technology keeps advancing at its current rate, as it would become viable for a long-distance train to run for a 50+ mile gap between wires on battery power.

For example, with the Chiltern Main Line, you could just wire Marylebone - Princes Risborough and Leamington Spa - Snow Hill, leaving a gap in between for trains to use battery power. This approach would save a lot of money compared to wiring every single stretch of Mainline and feeder routes.

td97

Established Member
In an approximate order of completion, England only

York to Church Fenton
Manchester to Stalybridge
Bolton (Lostock) to Wigan
Acton/Chiswick spur
Bristol Parkway to Temple Meads
Church Fenton to Leeds
Leeds to Huddersfield
Didcot to Hanborough
Rainford to Skelmersdale

MML to Sheffield

Chippenham - Bath - Bristol Temple Meads
Leeds to Hull
Sheffield to Moorthorpe

HS2 to Crewe including "on network works"

Plus various depot wiring projects - Gosforth, Etches Park etc.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Surely Church Fenton to Leeds needs to be high on the agenda.
Yes but thats part of the bigger TPE north, only 80x will be able to use it, local services will still be diesel or bi-mode if we get any, so I see it as a part of a bigger project
With this government (or is it the civil service?) I'm not entirely sure it will happen, but we NEED the full TPE core between Manchester and York done ASAP and get TPE some more 397s to run the Newcastle services (and the Edinburgh via ECML if the plans change again and those stay) with the 802s and mark 5s doing the stuff that isn't fully wired. Send the 185s to Northern to work things like Manchester (Victoria) - Leeds in place of 195s which can go to replace 150s.

Besides that, some more stuff in Northern land to help them replace all those 150s. Manchester-Liverpool via Warrington Central looked like a good one to do (directly replacing some 150s and releasing some 195s to replace more 150s) before the Manchester Rail Task Force interventions.

With the failure to announce any details of the electrification promised in the government's transport decarbonisation plan I'm doubtful we will see full MML electrification by 2030; given the shiny new bi-modes I fear they will do some patches of electrification and leave some gaps. That's what I think is likely to happen; what SHOULD happen on the MML is full electrification, shiny new 8/9-car EMUs and cascade of all the bi-modes to XC (although, under GBR, the distinction between TOCs should be blurred to allow the occasional nominally XC bi-mode unit to run a service from St. Pancras if through trains to places not yet electrified such as Lincoln are to be retained). On the subject of XC, I fear the government are moving too slowly but the key thing to me seems to be to get Birmingham-Didcot, Reading-Basingstoke and, perhaps, Birmingham-Derby* wired so that you can introduce dual-voltage EMUs on the Bournemouth/Southampton services and don't need a 125mph bi-mode with 3rd rail capability.

* due to the likely presence of bi-modes on Edinburgh-Plymouth by this time the priorities might work out such that all the XC Southampton/Bournemouth trains are switched to run to Manchester to avoid wiring this bit. Alternatively, if the lines north/east of Sheffield aren't electrified with the MML from Derby to Sheffield, then perhaps the Southampton/Bournemouth trains could be 1tph to Manchester and 1tph to Nottingham, with the Cardiff-Nottingham Turbostar becoming a Cardiff-Newcastle bi-mode.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I think that anything will be limited to very small schemes (Felixstowe, Windermere, a little in the Thames Valley), schemes that were already committed to years ago (the missing bits from Leeds to York, Manchester to Stalybridge) but nothing major on the "classic" network (obviously any "High Speed" alignments that get built will be fully wired) - maybe the only hope that some suburban lines have of seeing wires would be conversion to light rail (Atherton, Rose Hill Marple etc)

We are opening the Blyth line as well as the East-West line without any electrification - if we can't do these with wires from day one then I'm not optimistic about putting up with the pain of closing existing lines to wire them up given the well documented problems on the GWML/ Lancashire Triangle etc

If anyone bookmarks this thread for 1 January 2030 and wants to point out that electrification has reached Hull/ Clitheroe/ Barrow etc by then then I will eat whatever hat I wake up wearing at the start of that decade - we've got enough to be doing with lines that have good frequencies elsewhere, plenty more "low hanging fruit" before we come to stuff that wasn't even worthy of consideration in the boom days of the CP5 ambitions

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see electrification through Sheffield, I'd love to see significantly fewer diesel trains polluting stations like New Street, I'd welcome any investment like this, but the numbers seem to be looking worse and worse

Besides that, some more stuff in Northern land to help them replace all those 150s. Manchester-Liverpool via Warrington Central looked like a good one to do

We are going to free up a number of those 150s by... erm ... cutting half of the stoppers east of Warrington (which is the price we have to pay to ensure that Southport gets its Castlefield service - these people obviously take priority)

DanNCL

Established Member
There's a few different extremes that could happen with railway electriciation over the next 10 years, which one happens will almost certainly be the result of whatever the political climate is over the decade.

Regardless of what happens with politics, I think it's fairly likely the following will be wired within this decade:
  • Manchester Piccadilly/Guide Bridge - Huddersfield - Leeds
  • Neville Hill - Church Fenton
  • Kettering - Sheffield/Nottingham
  • Sheffield - Fitzwilliam
  • Sheffield - Doncaster
  • Glasgow Central - East Kilbride/Kilmarnock
Other than those, I think any further electrification will be dependent on politics. If policy shifts towards favouring rail transport in order to meet climate targets, then I can see many more routes being electrified, but if things stay as they are then other than the routes I mentioned above, and possibly a couple of politically influenced schemes (in Tory and SNP target seats), I can't see anything else being authorised.

The self contained local services would more than likely use 331s. Should wires reach enough additional locations (ie Middlesbrough or Hull) there's also the likelihood of the 68s being swapped for electric locos on the Mark 5A sets.

What will happen in Leicester East if Claudia Webbe is sent to jail and there is a by-election? Could we see an announcement of electrification of MML north to Leicester as a bribe? One to watch maybe?
Definitely one to watch. It could be very interesting, as though Labour have had two consecutive controversial MPs in that seat (before Claudia Webbe they had Keith Vaz), the Tories aren't exactly popular with a lot of people at the minute either, only got to look at the result in Chesham & Amersham to see that! I can definitely see the Tories using MML electrification as a bribe in the Leicester East by-election should the likely Recall Petition be succesful.

Incredibly unlikely that the 4th rail electrification between Harrow-on-the-Hill and Amersham will be removed as the Metropolitan line's require it and aren't likely to be replaced until at least 2040. Much more likely would be a similar solution to that used on the Watford DC line to allow third and fourth rail trains to mix, with dual voltage EMUs being used, powered by OHLE either side of the LU owned infrastructure.

Surely it will depend where marginal constituencies are with an electorate that needs bribing.
or is that too cynical?
Not really. BTW it is why I put Chilterns at bottom of my list.
Given the recent result in Chesham & Amersham the Tories will likely have the Chilterns much higher up their priority list now than previously.

You won't get cross country as it doesn't release anything until the vast majority of it is done, it isn't high up on the NR regions lists.
That's not the case at all. Simply wiring Derby - Birmingham when tied in with MML electrification would allow a number of the 170s to be replaced with EMUs, and would allow XC to use EMUs on the Reading - Newcastle route in the fairly likely event that it never returns south of Birmingham. That on it's own is quite a bit of Diesel stock released.

Plus various depot wiring projects - Gosforth, Etches Park etc.
Gosforth was wired over 40 years ago!

We are opening the Blyth line as well as the East-West line without any electrification - if we can't do these with wires from day one then I'm not optimistic about putting up with the pain of closing existing lines to wire them up given the well documented problems on the GWML/ Lancashire Triangle etc
I'll give you East-West Rail, but the Ashington route isn't really a fair comparision given that the line is already there as a freight route. Electrifiying that route in terms of the work needed would be like electrifying an existing passenger line rather than including wires on a new line (like East-West Rail or HS2).

If anyone bookmarks this thread for 1 January 2030 and wants to point out that electrification has reached Hull/ Clitheroe/ Barrow etc by then then I will eat whatever hat I wake up wearing at the start of that decade - we've got enough to be doing with lines that have good frequencies elsewhere, plenty more "low hanging fruit" before we come to stuff that wasn't even worthy of consideration in the boom days of the CP5 ambitions

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see electrification through Sheffield, I'd love to see significantly fewer diesel trains polluting stations like New Street, I'd welcome any investment like this, but the numbers seem to be looking worse and worse
Sadly I agree. As much as I would love to see mass electrification over the next 10 years, without a major shift in policy it won't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.