• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Electrification to Stalybridge, what actually is getting electrified?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Forgive me if this has already been answered elsewhere.

I know that electrification between Manchester Victoria and Stalybridge is funded and going ahead, I'm just trying to work out what exactly is going to be elctrified?

I presume the Down and Up Ashtons through to Stalybridge are being electrified, but does the electrification also include the route from Stalybridge to Guide Bridge and the Down and Up Ashburys or is it the other way round and its just the route from Stalybridge to Guide Bridge and Ashburys to Manchester Victoria?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Forgive me if this has already been answered elsewhere.

I know that electrification between Manchester Victoria and Stalybridge is funded and going ahead, I'm just trying to work out what exactly is going to be elctrified?

I presume the Down and Up Ashtons through to Stalybridge are being electrified, but does the electrification also include the route from Stalybridge to Guide Bridge and the Down and Up Ashburys or is it the other way round and its just the route from Stalybridge to Guide Bridge and Ashburys to Manchester Victoria?
The route from Manchester Victoria is already electrified as far as Bromley Street, so it is definitely being extended from there to Stalybridge via Ashton. The last time I passed Queens Road on the Rochdale line, masts had gone up along the curve which was realigned in August. I believe the line from Guide Bridge must now also being electrified since the Southampton Street bridge is being reconstructed and this is on the ex-GCR Guide Bridge line behind a modern cul-de-sac called “Mabs Court” there having been no street called Southampton Street as far as anyone can work out for at least 100 years.

I would assume that the route from Ashburys to Manchester Victoria and Newton Heath via Brewery Junction which has no passenger services will only be electrified once there is a need to get EMUs to Newton Heath and this will only be after the depot has been modernised and electrified, which will probably now be part of the Rochdale electrification and not this initial TRU precursor scheme.

snowball

Established Member
Answered recently by td97 in post #5245 of the TRU thread:

Stalybridge construction limit is Waterloo Road.
Miles Platting has only the junction triangle wired but no plain line towards Rochdale.
Stalybridge to Guide Bridge IS included as far as Guide Bridge station.

Waterloo Road is at the east end of Stalybridge station but west of Stalybridge tunnel.

The Ashburys line was included in a previous incarnation of the scheme but does not seem to be in the current version.

jonesy3001

Established Member
All your answers are in this thread

snowball

Established Member
All your answers are in this thread

However as that thread is over 5000 posts long, I hope the OP found the first two replies more useful.

jonesy3001

Established Member
There's this one as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.