• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Elizabeth line disruption (12/04)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfie1014

Second day running severe delays on the Elizabeth Line due to a train failure the core, wasn’t there supposed to be a software upgrade on the trains over the Easter weekend?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Acton1991

Absolute madness on my morning commute this morning. Don’t think Acton Main Line has ever been this busy :lol:

Attachments

• FE7CAA01-A0A9-4777-B931-E04129A7885E.jpeg
    FE7CAA01-A0A9-4777-B931-E04129A7885E.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 487

fat_boy_pete

So the 'final' ELR400 signalling software release for full running was supposed to be implemented over the Easter weekend. Is it just a coincidence that the first two working days after the upgrade, the service has gone into meltdown? Would appreciate an opinion from an 'informed sources '.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
So the 'final' ELR400 signalling software release for full running was supposed to be implemented over the Easter weekend. Is it just a coincidence that the first two working days after the upgrade, the service has gone into meltdown? Would appreciate an opinion from an 'informed sources '.

It isn’t a coincidence probably. Fix one software issue, introduce another unknown bug or issue.

A train failed to open the doors at two stations after multiple attempts and resets and finally terminated at Custom House. I suspect it is too early to know root cause.

On a two-track railway at that intensity a stoppage for a long period of time is bound to cause disruption for hours.

Last edited:

Established Member
Cameras packed up at Bond Street on my train from Heathrow to Liverpool St last night. Member of staff summoned for manual despatch. 6 minute delay, which meant quite a few waiting to board at Tottenham Court Road. Seemed OK after that though.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Cameras packed up at Bond Street on my train from Heathrow to Liverpool St last night. Member of staff summoned for manual despatch. 6 minute delay, which meant quite a few waiting to board at Tottenham Court Road. Seemed OK after that though.

This might happen occasionally (as it can on other DOO services reliant on a station/on-board link) and is often a temporary failure to connect.

Class 170101

Established Member

six minutes seems a lot in the sense that there seem to be many staff at these stations are they not all trained for manual dispatch procedures?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
six minutes seems a lot in the sense that there seem to be many staff at these stations are they not all trained for manual dispatch procedures?

A couple of minutes to identify the fault, time to mobilise the staff and then get them into position (might be elsewhere on the platforms, including the other one!) and then carry out the dispatch so it doesn't sound too bad.

matt_world2004

Established Member
If the elr400 software has this many issues (assuming that's whats causing the train faults today) is that going to mean the May timetable change is at risk

Established Member
A couple of minutes to identify the fault, time to mobilise the staff and then get them into position (might be elsewhere on the platforms, including the other one!) and then carry out the dispatch so it doesn't sound too bad.
It wasn’t too bad at all at that time in the evening. The driver gave good announcements to keep everyone informed, while the station staff member had to come from the opposite end of the platform. Would have been a bigger issue four hours earlier in the peak.

TFN

Manual dispatch for EL trains require 2 members of competent staff.

Acton1991

Some other issues last night in the peak with overhead line problems at Acton. I was very impressed with how quickly they managed to get trains into Paddington National Rail station to head out west, keeping passengers informed. Worked well.

Taunton

Established Member
I was in this in the evening peak. Notably the platform train describers packed up any next train indications, just when needed most, and only displayed a generic "subject to delays" message instead.

I was very impressed with how quickly they managed to get trains into Paddington National Rail station to head out west, keeping passengers informed.

At Paddington Low Level, on alighting from a train heading to Reading (which seemed fully on time) there were PA announcements that passengers for Heathrow should go out to to Platform 12. That's way out in the main station. Quite why they could not instead take the train standing right there for Reading to say Ealing, and wait on the platform there, was not apparent.

Meanwhile out in the heaving main concourse there was no information shown about any problem at all, despite trains due to leave 30 minutes earlier still being on the board. The "Special Notices" board, surely for such information, was blandly displaying that CCTV was in use, and all the rest of the anodyne messages.

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
Another evening peak shambles today (Monday 17 April); train from Woolwich lost 20 minutes to Paddington, including a lengthy stop at 5pm for much of this in the tunnel, approaching TCR, which I believed they intended not to happen.

Also notable is the latest software for the train describers just "loses it" when trains get out of course, with trains shown out of sequence, and 'ghost trains' that never turn up (despite being announced to stand clear for them). One would have thought that was a bit of a fundamental for any such system. This was both the outward journey, above, and also the return several hours later.

Acton1991

Failed train at Paddington yesterday in the peak, and again at Tottenham Court Road today. Surely issues with the software ‘upgrades’?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Failed train at Paddington yesterday in the peak, and again at Tottenham Court Road today. Surely issues with the software ‘upgrades’?

More than likely. "Auto-reverse" has also had issues.

Taunton

Established Member
The Monday 17 April delay I advised just above appears from RTT to have been caused by a Paddington terminator, leaving onwards from there correctly at 1639, then taking 18 minutes to get to Westbourne Park sidings, and inevitably blocking back everything behind it. So I guess it is likely some aspect of the auto-reverse was involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.