• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ELR Type 3 Running Day 7th Jan 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson_Quiff

7/1/12 - ELR Type 3 day (33109, D7076, 37109, 37518 and 37901)

I've since been told from a source at the ELR that D7076's steam heat boiler will not be ready in time for this event, so Class 40 D335 will work in it's place. Whether the loco will actually haul trains or not is not yet known. If not then it will just act as 'Ethel' for the train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I've since been told from a source at the ELR that D7076's steam heat boiler will not be ready in time for this event, so Class 40 D335 will work in it's place. Whether the loco will actually haul trains or not is not yet known. If not then it will just act as 'Ethel' for the train.
Hi People, first post :D Erm thats a shame as i would see the Hymek as the star of the show. However 40135 is a worthy replacement & im looking forward to the day! ps any dmu shuttles perhaps as well?

Crimson_Quiff

Hi People, first post :D Erm thats a shame as i would see the Hymek as the star of the show. However 40135 is a worthy replacement & im looking forward to the day! ps any dmu shuttles perhaps as well?

Although not stated on the website, D7076 is apparently out of the running. But there is still a chance the loco could work but with D335 as 'Ethel'. We shall see!

swidnod

Hi Guys;

Looking forward to the ELR event on 7th Jan. The rumour of D335 instead of the Hymek floats my boat...so to speak.

Any decent sufggestions for parking near Bury station??/

Later;
STU from EGDL

Hi Guys;

Looking forward to the ELR event on 7th Jan. The rumour of D335 instead of the Hymek floats my boat...so to speak.

Any decent sufggestions for parking near Bury station??/

Later;
STU from EGDL

Yeah me too :) Im driving & had planned to park right next to Bolton Street, i had presumed that area behind the trackside bar was theirs anyway?

Crimson_Quiff

Yeah me too :) Im driving & had planned to park right next to Bolton Street, i had presumed that area behind the trackside bar was theirs anyway?

Parking at Bury Bolton Street is £2 or £3 for the day, I think? I recommend getting there in good time as that car park is also used by local workers as well as visitors to the railway! Might get a wee bit full! ;)

In regards to the loco line up, it's confirmed as: 33109, D7076, 37109, 37901 and D335 (heating only). The boiler on the 'mek won't be ready in time and 37518 is out of the running. Don't know why, though.

Here's the timetable and loco roster - http://www.elrdiesel.info/documents/2012-01-07_ELR_Type3_Theme_Day.pdf

Parking at Bury Bolton Street is £2 or £3 for the day, I think? I recommend getting there in good time as that car park is also used by local workers as well as visitors to the railway! Might get a wee bit full! ;)

In regards to the loco line up, it's confirmed as: 33109, D7076, 37109, 37901 and D335 (heating only). The boiler on the 'mek won't be ready in time and 37518 is out of the running. Don't know why, though.

Here's the timetable and loco roster - http://www.elrdiesel.info/documents/2012-01-07_ELR_Type3_Theme_Day.pdf

Thanks Mr Crimson! :) thats a fair price too, would just about get 1 hours parking in Derby for that! Well id better make sure im there for the 1st run :)

Cool, it got it's own thread! Cheers RailUK team! :)

A great day pal, got there just before half 9, so the Trackside Brekky called first, after that it was up down up down till the last train :D nice to see it was well attended, only 4 coaches for the Hymek but cant complain too much, another great ELR day :D

Attachments

• IMG_0268.jpg
    IMG_0268.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 13

theblackwatch

Established Member
The Hymek could have done with being more than load 4, especially as it contained 3 'compo' vehicles. Bit of an imbalance with the stock formations I reckon, I think the 37/40 rake was load 7. A bonus in the buffet at Bury from my last visit was the addition of warm pies for a very reasonable £1.30, ideal at this time of year!

The Hymek could have done with being more than load 4, especially as it contained 3 'compo' vehicles. Bit of an imbalance with the stock formations I reckon, I think the 37/40 rake was load 7. A bonus in the buffet at Bury from my last visit was the addition of warm pies for a very reasonable £1.30, ideal at this time of year!

Hot Pies? ah missed them! :) Yes indeed & 1 of the 3 compos had a leak in the coridoor. But thankfully we were kept nice & warm in the afternoon courtesy of the 33!. Took a quick vid of the mek's last departure from Rawtenstall, sorry about the wind noise: http://youtu.be/df9jd_O60aw

Crimson_Quiff

Bit of an imbalance with the stock formations I reckon, I think the 37/40 rake was load 7.

The 37/40 set was load 6 ;)
37109 performed brilliantly on the first climb to Heywood. With D335 'dead on rear' and Driver Guntripp at the controls, it was entertaining to say the least!
Even the 40 got a 'tinker' a few times during the day!

Top marks to everyone involved :)

Last edited:
Bit of an imbalance with the stock formations I reckon, I think the 37/40 rake was load 7.QUOTE]

The 37/40 set was load 6 ;)
37109 performed brilliantly on the first climb to Heywood. With D335 'dead on rear' and Driver Guntripp at the controls, it was entertaining to say the least!
Even the 40 got a 'tinker' a few times during the day!

Top marks to everyone involved :)

:D absolutely! although there was a few worried bodies walking about saying the Mek wouldnt be running. Here's the next Diesel theme day/gala up there:D

Rich_D3167

Had a very enjoyable day at the East Lancs. My personal favourite of the day being 37109, performing very well on load 6 & a dead 40 (even if D335 did assist from time to time!). 33109 was also rateable, but didn't have enough weight behind it to give it a proper workout! As has been said, D7076 didn't have much weight either to drag around (only load 4 & a dead 33109), but it still made all the right noises, especially on the climb to Heywood. 37901 to me lived up to it's (nick)name, seemed very sluggish, but sounded good!

Look forward to the next diesel gala at the East Lancs hopefully!

Had a very enjoyable day at the East Lancs. My personal favourite of the day being 37109, performing very well on load 6 & a dead 40 (even if D335 did assist from time to time!). 33109 was also rateable, but didn't have enough weight behind it to give it a proper workout! As has been said, D7076 didn't have much weight either to drag around (only load 4 & a dead 33109), but it still made all the right noises, especially on the climb to Heywood. 37901 to me lived up to it's (nick)name, seemed very sluggish, but sounded good!

Look forward to the next diesel gala at the East Lancs hopefully!

Ah yes, 37901! Id not heard it before, but my friend & a fellow enthusiast (could well be yourself given your locale :)) had told me it sounded different & indeed it did! Somewhat muted in noise but still nice! Great day & onwards to the Diesel Running day at the GCR this weekend :D

Crimson_Quiff

Sorry it's a bit late in the day but here's the shots I got during the day. I didn't manage to snap the Hymek though :(

Attachments

• 100_3981 (2).jpg
    100_3981 (2).jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_3984 (2).jpg
    100_3984 (2).jpg
    140 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_3987 (2).jpg
    100_3987 (2).jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_3991 (2).jpg
    100_3991 (2).jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_4011 (2).jpg
    100_4011 (2).jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_4032 (2).jpg
    100_4032 (2).jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_4046 (2).jpg
    100_4046 (2).jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_4048 (2).jpg
    100_4048 (2).jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_4049 (2).jpg
    100_4049 (2).jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 9
Sorry it's a bit late in the day but here's the shots I got during the day. I didn't manage to snap the Hymek though :(

Great Pictures! Thanks for sharing them :) love the nightime shot of Mirlees Pioneer! :) I left just after the last Mek service. Do they run the locos around after that for one final photo shoot? & are the lucky customers of The Trackside treated to much activity at night? sorry just curious

Crimson_Quiff

Great Pictures! Thanks for sharing them :) love the nightime shot of Mirlees Pioneer! :) I left just after the last Mek service. Do they run the locos around after that for one final photo shoot? & are the lucky customers of The Trackside treated to much activity at night? sorry just curious

There wasn't a photo shoot as such but it you are quick enough you can grab shots while locos are waiting for the road to the sidings/shed etc. The locos from the day were ran light back to their repected places while the stock was kept in the station. I was in the trackside myself after proceedings, once the locos were put to bed that was it really!

There wasn't a photo shoot as such but it you are quick enough you can grab shots while locos are waiting for the road to the sidings/shed etc. The locos from the day were ran light back to their repected places while the stock was kept in the station. I was in the trackside myself after proceedings, once the locos were put to bed that was it really!

Ah i see, Bolton Street makes for some really nice shots at night, very atmospheric, but im always gearing up for the journey back home to sunny Derby after the services have finished! :D Need to find a decent hotel to kip the night AND have some Trackside Booze me thinks :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.