• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ely to Edinburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

tivoli

Looking to go from Ely to Edinburgh on a Sunday morning in November, more than 12 weeks away so no full details yet, but I notice that at this time of year there are a few jouneys which take between 4-5 hours, but towards end of October there are less and can take around 7 hours.What happens to timetable at that time and is it more practical to go via London rather than Peterborough in the autumn?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tugzrule

I think the trains may take longer with the ECML being closed and trains diverting by the Tyne Valley and then going north to Glasgow/Edinburgh/Aberdeen/Inverness.

tivoli

I can see that now, will the ECML north of Newcastle be closed sundays during November, I cannot see any info on National Rail Enquiries

MCR247

Established Member
You could go to Manchester on EMT, and then a fTPE to Edinburgh, or get EMT to Peterborough, change to an XC service to BHM, and a XC/VT to EDB.

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
I'd advise against using EMT to Manchester.

Ely > PBO > BHM > EDB sounds like a good idea. Advance fares would be available for all legs.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Um, the XC Birmingham (from Stansted) services go through Ely! No need to use another train and change at Peterborough if going that way.

tivoli

Thank you, Mathmo for the link to NXEC, hopefully will be clear by the time I wish to travel!

Is it unusual for engineering works which are detailed on NXEC website not to be included on National Rail Enquiries?

philjo

Established Member
The operators often have advanced notice of engineering works several months before the details appear on the national rail enquiries - presumably the latter only has the details for the current 12-week booking period.
FCC have a summary of forthcoming engineering works on their website for every week until December.
I tend to use the combination of the NXEC/FCC summaries to work out which weekends are best avoided for travelling!

Status
Not open for further replies.