• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Embankment Underground station escalators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taunton

Established Member
I see that Embankment station on London Underground has had both Bakerloo and Northern Line platforms closed from this weekend for A YEAR for the installation of new escalators. The justification for the total closure is that, if they were done sequentially, it would take years, so they are all being replaced together.

I remember a few years ago when Selfridges department store in Oxford Street (7 floors) replaced all 12 escalators in the total set at the end of the store in ONE WEEKEND.

How can transport operators not understand what the rest of industry can achieve. I doubt if Selfridges had anything like the Underground budget for replacements. Incidentally, unlike newer Underground escalator installations, I've never found one of them out of action since the work.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alex17595

Embankment escalators are probably more busy than Selfridges. I'm also guessing it's not a easy to replace them in a tunnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.