• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ember: Electric coach service

awsnews

Back in October Ember stated that services to Glasgow, Fort William and Oban were on their shortlist for 2021. It is in this article from Route One:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Back in October Ember stated that services to Glasgow, Fort William and Oban were on their shortlist for 2021. It is in this article from Route One:

Can see them doing a Glasgow to Dundee service, I suppose they do have cheaper fares than Citylink. The Glasgow to Dundee fares are quite high, cheaper to Perth.

Fort William and Oban interesting, used to be summer service that way.

MotCO

Established Member
Can see them doing a Glasgow to Dundee service, I suppose they do have cheaper fares than Citylink. The Glasgow to Dundee fares are quite high, cheaper to Perth.

Fort William and Oban interesting, used to be summer service that way.

Dundee to Fort William is about 125 miles (around 200km). This means that the coaches will need to be recharged at each end, unlike the Dundee to Edinburgh trips. The Route One article (https://www.route-one.net/operators/ember-a-watershed-moment-for-the-uk-coach-industry/) states that one of the benefits of the Dundee to Edinburgh trips is that if a coach is delayed, the coaches can cope with only a quick partial charge - not sure if that would work on the longer journey.

scotrail158713

Established Member
I'm going up to Dundee this Saturday so have decided to give this a try. Loadings appear to be mixed, judging by the number of seats available 48hrs in advance. Saturday morning in Edinburgh direction in particular seems to be heaving with just 1 seat left on the 07:50, and the 10:23 sold out. Overall there's only a few services all day that are yet to sell a seat.

Journeyman

Established Member
I'm going up to Dundee this Saturday so have decided to give this a try. Loadings appear to be mixed, judging by the number of seats available 48hrs in advance. Saturday morning in Edinburgh direction in particular seems to be heaving with just 1 seat left on the 07:50, and the 10:23 sold out. Overall there's only a few services all day that are yet to sell a seat.
That's good to hear. I'm glad they're doing well.

MotCO

Established Member
That's good to hear. I'm glad they're doing well.

I must admit I am pleasantly surprised that they are filling most of their seats. Are they still doing social distancing so that a 'full' coach is actually 25 seats, are their prices really competitive, or is it the green aspects which attract the custom?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I must admit I am pleasantly surprised that they are filling most of their seats. Are they still doing social distancing so that a 'full' coach is actually 25 seats, are their prices really competitive, or is it the green aspects which attract the custom?
The prices seem to be very competitive. It's £7.50 single with Ember. Citylink is showing £18.60 single and Stagecoach is £15.50, although their Dayrider is £9.

route101

Established Member
They operate services into the night. I wonder how busy they get. I used ember from Dundee to Edinburgh last year; nice coaches. £7.50 if you buy on day or in advance. I do find Citylink quite expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
They operate services into the night. I wonder how busy they get. I used ember from Dundee to Edinburgh last year; nice coaches. £7.50 if you buy on day or in advance. I do find Citylink quite expensive.
If you book at least a day in advance through the Megabus website you can get fares between Dundee and Edinburgh on Citylink services for £6.40.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The next round of ScotZEB funding has already been mentioned in the First Aberdeen and Glasgow threads, but having now had the chance to read through the articles, I noted that £5.56m has been earmarked for 26 vehicles for Ember.

Operators awarded funding:​

• Bluebird Buses Ltd – £3,066,547 – 13 vehicles
  • Craig of Cambeltown – £2,409,294 – 10 vehicles
  • Dumfries and Galloway Council – £633,934 – 4 vehicles
  • Ember Core – £5,562,126 – 26 vehicles
  • Fife Scottish Omnibuses – £7,329,923 – 32 vehicles
  • First Aberdeen & First Glasgow – £18,599,858 – 74 vehicles
  • Highland Country Buses – £5,834,978 – 25 vehicles
  • Houston Coaches – £368,413 – 4 vehicles
  • McGills Bus Service – £9,086,933 – 41 vehicles
  • Shuttle Buses – £485,955- 5 vehicles
  • Stirling Council – £595,404 – 3 vehicles
  • Western Buses – £8,029,890 – 39 vehicles
A variety of bus sizes, from minibuses to double decks, are being supported. All awards also include support towards the charging infrastructure, in some cases the charging infrastructure will support a greater number of vehicles than the number of buses shown in the table.

I remember seeing it mentioned previously that other services would eventually be on the cards. It'll be interesting to see what their next move will be.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The next round of ScotZEB funding has already been mentioned in the First Aberdeen and Glasgow threads, but having now had the chance to read through the articles, I noted that £5.56m has been earmarked for 26 vehicles for Ember.

I remember seeing it mentioned previously that other services would eventually be on the cards. It'll be interesting to see what their next move will be.

If I'm not mistaken they still have 4 Arrivals on order from a previous round of funding too. So 30 vehicles due in total!

Volvodart

Established Member
36 as the previous award was for 6 single deck Yutong, 4 single deck arrival buses and infrastructure.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
36 as the previous award was for 6 single deck Yutong, 4 single deck arrival buses and infrastructure.
At least two of those Yutongs have already been delivered (SG71OTA & SG71OTF).

It'll be interesting to see what they plan to use all these buses for. Hopefully it'll be on routes that aren't presently covered rather than just duplicating existing services.

markymark2000

On Moderation
The attachment also refers to the access to the site by a 15m vehicle. Does this mean the yard will be using vehicles of this size, or is this to 'future proof' the application?
In the planning statement, it says
Swept path analysis has been conducted on the entire route into the site to ensure it is suitable for up to a 15m bus, the largest rigid bus permitted in the UK. At the moment, Ember uses buses up to 12.4m in length and has no plans to increase this.

Interesting that they are going for overhead charging, not plug in like the current coaches.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Presumably they will send a vehicle to to Edinburgh or Glasgow and recharge it before sending it back as I somehow doubt they would have the range for a return trip?

Providing this is a good bit faster than either Scotrail's dangerous 40-year old HST or the CityLink and Megabus offerings then they are onto a winner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stan Drews

Established Member
Presumably they will send a vehicle to to Edinburgh or Glasgow and recharge it before sending it back as I somehow doubt they would have the range for a return trip?

Providing this is a good bit faster than either Scotrail's dangerous 40-year old HST or the CityLink and Megabus offerings then they are onto a winner.
I’m not sure how they could be faster than the current Citylink and Megabus direct offerings between the major cities.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I would think the Paisley depot would land the company in good stead for operating a direct Dundee to Glasgow Airport service, which isn't currently offered.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Not serving Dundee city Centre on the Aberdeen service would help timewise, I don't know Dundee well but there must surely be somewhere in the suburbs with good connections where it could call instead?
Ninewells?

I'm not sure if there's a need for expresses from Aberdeen to Glasgow though as it's already well covered by Citylink. Aberdeen to Falkirk & Stirling does seem one route that's left out, albeit i'm not sure how much demand there would actually be for it.

Another route to me that often seems ignored is a slow service from Aberdeen to Dundee via Stonehaven, Laurencekirk, Brechin & Forfar. Currently there's not even a link between Laurencekirk and Brechin, you're forced to go via Montrose.

InOban

Established Member
I would think the Paisley depot would land the company in good stead for operating a direct Dundee to Glasgow Airport service, which isn't currently offered.
Why would there be a demand for a Dundee to Glasgow Airport service?

InOban

Established Member
Except that anywhere you might want to fly from is available from Edinburgh which is much nearer.

PG

Established Member
Another route to me that often seems ignored is a slow service from Aberdeen to Dundee via Stonehaven, Laurencekirk, Brechin & Forfar. Currently there's not even a link between Laurencekirk and Brechin, you're forced to go via Montrose.
Can't see that being in Ember's sphere of operation, as it's basically a local bus service with end to end passengers using faster direct services. Nearest I can think of was almost 30 years ago when Strathtay ran one Saturday afternoon journey northbound as far as Stonehaven which changed service number at Forfar. Prior to that Northern's 104 which took over 3 hours to go between the two cities.

Marty82

Not serving Dundee city Centre on the Aberdeen service would help timewise, I don't know Dundee well but there must surely be somewhere in the suburbs with good connections where it could call instead?
I'd say Camperdown Leisure Park would be a good location if they could do a deal with the landlord. Just off the Kingsway at a grade separated junction.