• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Emergency Bell tested, faulty"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrummieBobby

As a signaller in a Track Circuit Block area, I recently tested the emergency alarm to the next box as we are required to do each day at 10:00. I sent the alarm to the next box, receiving the response

"Loud and clear mate, sending you mine..."

To be met with silence; my emergency alarm, whilst illuminating on the panel, produced no noise. Obviously I reported the fault (It was fixed around 24 hours later) but the Rule Book is surprisingly vague as to how to respond to a faulty emergency alarm (At least I couldn't find any instruction) I did consider 3-5 working (Offering trains forward by telephone) but was advised that this wasn't required.

Have any other signallers encountered a faulty emergency alarm and, if so, how did you respond?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

High Dyke

Established Member
Been working a location with a failed emergency alarm (old style block bell) to the adjacent PSB. It's been like that since last year. Normal working of trains, with any messages passed by phone. If TCB 3.5 working is needed that is also done by phone.

cin88

Had absolutely no emergency alarm or indications for it between 2 of my locations for close to a year, we just worked normally and any emergency alarm requiring situations dealt with by making an emergency call to the other box. 3.5 working is also done by phone in all of my boxes.

lineclear

This is not uncommon. As mentioned above, note it, fault it, telephone for emergencies and mention it to your relief.

LAX54

Established Member
As a signaller in a Track Circuit Block area, I recently tested the emergency alarm to the next box as we are required to do each day at 10:00. I sent the alarm to the next box, receiving the response

"Loud and clear mate, sending you mine..."

To be met with silence; my emergency alarm, whilst illuminating on the panel, produced no noise. Obviously I reported the fault (It was fixed around 24 hours later) but the Rule Book is surprisingly vague as to how to respond to a faulty emergency alarm (At least I couldn't find any instruction) I did consider 3-5 working (Offering trains forward by telephone) but was advised that this wasn't required.

Have any other signallers encountered a faulty emergency alarm and, if so, how did you respond?
Some boxes do not even have an Emergency alarm to the adjacent box, you ring them :) all else fails...REC on the GSM-R

Annetts key

Established Member
Emergency alarms are not fail safe. Block bells are also not fail safe.

Certain block bell faults were “fun”, one particular type would unintentionally ring the bell of the sender when they tried sending!

Status
Not open for further replies.