• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Emergency plungers on the Underground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a729

Am I right in saying that it's only the Central and Victoria lines that have emergency train stop plungers?

Also these plungers won't stop trains being driven in restricted manual, will it?

Also the ones on the Jubilee line have been decommissioned, right? Why has LU done this?

Also why has the Northern line not had plungers installed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
The plungers are only fitted on the Victoria and Central lines, yes. They were also fitted on the jubilee, but weren't commissioned. They work by sending a stop signal to the signalling system, effectively forcing the train to brake. The central line system is easiest to understand - the stop button sets the track inside the station to a "0 code" making the train brake.

The reason why they weren't installed on the northern (and not commissioned on the jub) was to prevent abuse of the system. There might have been another reason, but I can't remember.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Central line trains don't brake automatically when a plunger is operated - they only lose codes and can still coast into the platform.

Victoria line trains will brake automatically when the plungers are operated.

Guess what I've been learning in CSA class today ;)

notadriver

Established Member
Can't see why they are needed on the parts of the jubilee with peds ...

Status
Not open for further replies.