• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Emergency repairs at Chesterfield Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llandudno

Established Member
Apparently no trains are calling at Chesterfield Station’s platforms 1 and 2 today owing to emergency repairs to the platform edging on both platforms.

Presumably this is not scheduled improvement works, so I wonder what triggered the need to suspend the use of the platforms when trains are running to undertake this remedial work.

A limited number of trains are using the bi-directional remaining platform 3.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Towers

Established Member
Presumably something crumbling/collapsing or a report from a staff member; the usual method of NR ‘maintenance’ currently!

Bungle

Just passed through platform 1 on a northbound XC, at speed so didn’t get much of a look. From what I saw looking at P2, there was no work going on on the platform edges but there was what looked like scaffolding and blue netting around the canopy support structures. Made me think the work is a bit more involved than just crumbling platform edges.

Omitting the stop means it would appear we have rapidly caught up the Northern stopper ahead at Dronfield!

IceBlue

Went through this morning on the Northern stopper and we stopped as normal on platform 2, quite a bit of fencing around but people using the platform as normal.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Work on the canopy at Chesterfield has been going on for a while, with plenty of fencing in relevant areas. Nothing to do with platform edges.

skyhigh

Established Member
"NwR advises both platforms at Chesterfield have dropped over a 30m section, staff have installed some props to mitigate in the first instance as a remedial action. Platform 1, girders 1 to 10 heavily laminated, significant deterioration since last inspected 2 years ago. Outstanding work is to get it propped up and support it temporarily, potential to complete this tonight."

Not from a source I can share a link to.

louis97

Established Member
Work on the canopy at Chesterfield has been going on for a while, with plenty of fencing in relevant areas. Nothing to do with platform edges.
This issue is separate to the work on the canopy. Seems like during a test for tactile paving some issues with the platform structure were uncovered to be a lot worse than initially thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.