• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR 180110 - now a 4 car set

Status
Not open for further replies.

liamf656

180110 has returned to Etches Park from Crofton having been reformed as a 4 car set. The buffet coach (56910) is badly corroded and the set has been spending a lot of time at Doncaster in recent months. I believe the idea is to run it in service with a 5 car, creating a 9 car set

RTT link to the journey south:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

QSK19

I’m on 180110 as I write this (my 4 year old son is mad about the 180s; so we’re having a “train tourism” trip to go on this and a Class 360). The onboard staff were saying that they find it quite depressing that it’s only a 4 car set and would love the idea of the 5th car coming back. It absolutely flies along, though!

notadriver

Established Member
I’m on 180110 as I write this (my 4 year old son is mad about the 180s; so we’re having a “train tourism” trip to go on this and a Class 360). The onboard staff were saying that they find it quite depressing that it’s only a 4 car set and would love the idea of the 5th car coming back. It absolutely flies along, though!

It shouldn’t be any different to the 5 car as each vehicle has its own engine.

James James

It shouldn’t be any different to the 5 car as each vehicle has its own engine.
Hold on a minute... the engine story does mean that each carriage will have the same amount of power, but it doesn't tell us whether or not each carriage has the same weight. After all the buffet might have more equipment, and the driving carriages carry around crumple zones and the like (I have no idea if that has any significant effect on the weight of each carriage though).

However I suspect air resistance might have more of an influence than differences in carriage weight - 4 carriage train has the same air resistance at higher speeds, but less power available. So my bet is on the 5-car actually being better at speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.