• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 153 unit - through Corby station

spotify95

Hi, I've just seen a EMR branded Class 153 unit (cannot remember the number) go non stop through Corby rail station a few minutes ago. It was heading southbound towards Kettering.
It was in Stagecoach livery colors (dark blue, red, orange).

Any idea what this unit was doing and where it is/was going? I thought Class 153s had to be withdrawn due to a lack of accessibility in these units?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
Likely to be one of the Network Rail (ex EMR) 153s which hasn’t been repainted yet.

Edit. In fact, if it’s this, then it will be an NR 153 on a Derby to Derby test run.

spotify95

That's probably the one. Its just come back up the line again, presumably after reversing at Kettering. Even though there's plenty of spare capacity on the Slows down to Wellingborough and Bedford...

Anyway, thanks for clarifying what that 153 was about. Wonder what the 153s are actually testing...

Benjwri

Established Member
Its just come back up the line again, presumably after reversing at Kettering. Even though there's plenty of spare capacity on the Slows down to Wellingborough and Bedford...
It’s a test train, needs to run on both up and down to inspect both tracks.

AdamWW

Established Member
Any idea what this unit was doing and where it is/was going? I thought Class 153s had to be withdrawn due to a lack of accessibility in these units?
No there are still some in service either with a new toilet or the toilet locked out.

Established Member
No there are still some in service either with a new toilet or the toilet locked out.
Other PRM mods have been made though, even on the units with the bogs locked out.

JTP1973

Sorry to jump on this thread, but I believe I went past at least 1 153 parked up in a siding at Wickford last night. Any ideas why it was there please?

_toommm_

Established Member
Sorry to jump on this thread, but I believe I went past at least 1 153 parked up in a siding at Wickford last night. Any ideas why it was there please?

It'll be this set of runs:

Departing as the following today:

JTP1973

It'll be this set of runs:

Departing as the following today:
Thanks