• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 170 updates

LowLevel

Established Member
Good to see that the 17:45 from Piccadilly will be booked 6-car and no fewer than 3-car. However, where will the 08:51 Liverpool to Nottingham or Norwich be??
The 0851 Liverpool - Notts returns in December and as far as I know is booked 4 car 158.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

QSK19

Good operational condition, usually - eg. not out of miles to an exam, not physically damaged, everything working as it should, in tact, etc.
Indeed - they won’t do or spend anything above the requirements of the contract with the new TOC. And in any case, the ROSCO is guaranteed an income for many years to come, so where is the incentive to spend extra money on making them nice?

As others have said, the 222s will need to be pitched to the DfT / other TOCs for future business; so the ROSCO wants them to look presentable (whether that’s through their own investment or forcing the incumbent TOC to bring them back up to standard before the lease ends).

dk1

Veteran Member
Part of me thinks this is more down to the leasing company wanting them to be good condition to attract another leaser?

If there are any faults or repairs they must be done before lease end. We had a DVT that required significant collision damage. Even though not needed and not having a future it had to be fully repaired before hand back.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The 0851 Liverpool - Notts returns in December and as far as I know is booked 4 car 158.

Fantastic. That's the first train one can use on a South Pennine Ranger on weekdays (though I have heard that people CAN presently get on the 09:25 TPE because "it's not your fault EMR can't be bothered to reinstate their 09:54 service"). Don't think the conductors of the TPE will be as willing come December unless the EMR is genuinely cancelled.

The_Train

Established Member
Why then did EMR receive so many 170’s in such an appalling interior condition? Some of them are in a far worse condition than the Meridians.
I find it difficult to believe that any units are in worse condition than the Meridians. It would be safer to stand in the middle of a science lab that tests the worlds diseases without protective equipment than it is to step foot on a Meridian

Good operational condition, usually - eg. not out of miles to an exam, not physically damaged, everything working as it should, in tact, etc.
Surely they have to consider the inside as well? Not much use sending a unit back that is operational from a mechanical point of view but can't carry passengers because the seats have disintegrated

dk1

Veteran Member
Surely they have to consider the inside as well? Not much use sending a unit back that is operational from a mechanical point of view but can't carry passengers because the seats have disintegrated

Interior condition and refurbishment come under agreements between TOC and ROSCO under normal circumstances. As long as the seats are physically there it would make no difference as to their appearance.

Killingworth

Established Member
I find it difficult to believe that any units are in worse condition than the Meridians. It would be safer to stand in the middle of a science lab that tests the worlds diseases without protective equipment than it is to step foot on a Meridian

And if a new operator is not yet agreed a ROSCO won't easily 'sell' tatty stock to a new user if something else may be available, like soldiering on with what they've got. If covering 5-10 years for new builds to become available they need to look better than the stock to be ultimately replaced.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Fair enough. Does go to show that use of 170s even though better for passengers is going to take a knock to catering revenue in the same way it has done using 755s between Norwich & London. They do at least some unit swapping en-route now that risk assessment has been done.
I had a 755 swap on a Norwich IC and as expected the trolley and guard was in the rear unit the entirety of my Ipswich - Chelmsford journey. Not surprised about the revenue hit. From experience I know the trolley does very good business on this route as well.

dk1

Veteran Member
I had a 755 swap on a Norwich IC and as expected the trolley and guard was in the rear unit the entirety of my Ipswich - Chelmsford journey. Not surprised about the revenue hit. From experience I know the trolley does very good business on this route as well.

Many guards move between units at at least Ipswich & Colchester although yesterday mine did it at EVERY station calling me each time to advise he was back onboard as per rules.

Mowgli

Many guards move between units at at least Ipswich & Colchester although yesterday mine did it at EVERY station calling me each time to advise he was back onboard as per rules.
I know they are following rules but it is so annoying (to me anyway). I hate that cab to cab - I just feel like saying 'I'm not bloody going to leave you behind just move!'

dk1

Veteran Member
I know they are following rules but it is so annoying (to me anyway). I hate that cab to cab - I just feel like saying 'I'm not bloody going to leave you behind just move!'

The two most irritating things about the 745/755 fleet is the cab-cab & train length reached ‘bleep bleep’. They do my head in.

Pippy1505

170206 arriving from TFW on 19/11 next one 6th December and final one 21st jan

Remaining 170 ex southern staying for another year with southern with a possibility it will not move to EMR

animationmilo

170206 arriving from TFW on 19/11 next one 6th December and final one 21st jan

Remaining 170 ex southern staying for another year with southern with a possibility it will not move to EMR
I thought it was delayed to next year seems not. Shame.

LowLevel

Established Member
I thought it was delayed to next year seems not. Shame.
These things are always a moveable feast - there's an increased requirement for 3 car sets at EMR with an additional 3 units being diagrammed to Liverpool - Norwich from December which may have altered things again.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Fantastic. That's the first train one can use on a South Pennine Ranger on weekdays (though I have heard that people CAN presently get on the 09:25 TPE because "it's not your fault EMR can't be bothered to reinstate their 09:54 service"). Don't think the conductors of the TPE will be as willing come December unless the EMR is genuinely cancelled.
TPE conductors have no choice. South Pennine Rangers are valid after 09:00 on Monday to Friday.

STINT47

TPE conductors have no choice. South Pennine Rangers are valid after 09:00 on Monday to Friday.

National Rail are wrong on this. The ticket has restriction B3 is not valid on trains due to separate before 09:00 so it can be used on a train timed at 09:00.

It may sound pedantic but my local station has a train due to depart at 09:00 and I have had problems using tickets with the B3 restriction. Sadly the industry miswords things then tries to charge people more than necessary.

Liverpool 507

With 6 car 170 diagrams being announced above on selected Liverpool - Nottingham services, are there going to be any 4 car booked 170 services on this route to supplement the 158s?

Pippy1505

With 6 car 170 diagrams being announced above on selected Liverpool - Nottingham services, are there going to be any 4 car booked 170 services on this route to supplement the 158s?
Trial operation 6 cars 1R52 0635 Nottingham-Liverpool and 1L09 0951 Liverpool-Nottingham
Single 3 car will continue through to Norwich as 1L09 and return as 1R80 1548 Norwich-Liverpool (No attachment at Nottingham)

Killingworth

Established Member
Trial operation 6 cars 1R52 0635 Nottingham-Liverpool and 1L09 0951 Liverpool-Nottingham
Single 3 car will continue through to Norwich as 1L09 and return as 1R80 1548 Norwich-Liverpool (No attachment at Nottingham)

6 car on 1R52? That's currently running as 2 car between Sheffield and Manchester and certainly needs to be 4 as has been announced to be happening from December. 6 would give users a pleasant surprise. When's the trial?

LowLevel

Established Member
6 car on 1R52? That's currently running as 2 car between Sheffield and Manchester and certainly needs to be 4 as has been announced to be happening from December. 6 would give users a pleasant surprise. When's the trial?
December onwards. 1R50 goes to 4 car 158, 1R52 6 car 170.

I was having a conversation about the irony of the shortest train becoming the longest with some of the regular vestibule occupants from Chinley the other morning as I squashed the world in at Hazel Grove.

Mariner16

170423 (ex 923) now fully in EMR colours from the old Green/White combination. Just gone past it at Etches. Not seen 422 for a while at Nottingham so assuming this is happening to that one aswell.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
December onwards. 1R50 goes to 4 car 158, 1R52 6 car 170.

I was having a conversation about the irony of the shortest train becoming the longest with some of the regular vestibule occupants from Chinley the other morning as I squashed the world in at Hazel Grove.

HG residents who use that train will love the lengthening.

Rick1984

It will be interesting to see if a 3 car is up to the task from Norwich. 2 car 158 are always packed

blueberry11

The EMR website is showing an update about the class 170s from Norwich for the December 2023 timetable change. However, as someone said earlier, they started to make an appearance on that route
Timetable change will also include a trial of Class 170 trains on the Liverpool to Norwich route