• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Class 170 updates

LowLevel

Established Member
Are 1R58, 1L10, 1M82 and 1L20 booked for a 3 car 170? They’ve been operating with a 3 car set since the timetable change.
No, but they've always been a favourite for subbing with 2, 3 or 4 car 170s if short of 158s because the diagram doesn't require a matching strengthening unit on it's second westbound trip and doesn't end in Norwich.

Unit availability is a big problem at the moment in all EMR fleets.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

QSK19

Unit availability is a big problem at the moment in all EMR fleets.
Yep, and for this reason it grates on me when I read comments on RF that other TOCs are flush with supplementary stock (755s and 720s with GA; seemingly 196s until EWR starts). They should come over to EMR-land and see a generally reliable service level being maintained despite said unit availability issues.

JD2168

There was an unidentified Class 170 on the 10:06am from Liverpool Lime Street which was terminated at Nottingham running around 30 minutes late.

Killingworth

Established Member
Well, prior to a trio of meetings in Manchester and Liverpool in the New Year I thought I'd sample 1R52 at 7.36 from Dore. An advanced EMR only ticket was reasonably priced. I checked before leaving home that it was running. I saw it running into Sheffield. I'd got there early enough to have caught the preceding TPE 6 coach or Northern 3 car, either of which would have got me to Manchester earlier than EMR.

EMR fail! 1R52 waa terminated at Sheffield. Fault in one unit so instead of 6 not even 3 or 2. Something to do with the electrics in one unit so no light and what else.

The perils of relying on 2nd and 3rd hand old units!

The following EMR service was an unrefreshed but smooth 4 car 158.

Last edited:

Killingworth

Established Member
Is there anything wrong with 170422?
I randomly browse RTT every now and again and it never seems to be out.
From the December timetable change EMR were to operate 1R52 Nottingham - Lime Street as 6 car 170. First day it was cancelled at Nottingham. First day I tried to use it it was cancelled at Sheffield.

I tried again last week. It was due half an hour late at Sheffield with 5 cars so I caught the preceding Northern service - which arrived at Piccadilly a few minutes early. I'm told it turned up with 3 cars today, full and standing at Sheffield before getting to Dore, Chinley and Hazel Grove.

170422 is clearly being missed.

On Friday I'll try to use TPE and hope I'll not be jinxing them too.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
From the December timetable change EMR were to operate 1R52 Nottingham - Lime Street as 6 car 170. First day it was cancelled at Nottingham. First day I tried to use it it was cancelled at Sheffield.

I tried again last week. It was due half an hour late at Sheffield with 5 cars so I caught the preceding Northern service - which arrived at Piccadilly a few minutes early. I'm told it turned up with 3 cars today, full and standing at Sheffield before getting to Dore, Chinley and Hazel Grove.

According to EMR Journey planner, it's booked to be 4 car!

Facilities on the 09:51 Liverpool Lime Street to Norwich due 15:09.
Will be formed of 3 coaches instead of 4 between Liverpool Lime Street and Nottingham.

Killingworth

Established Member
According to EMR Journey planner, it's booked to be 4 car!

Facilities on the 09:51 Liverpool Lime Street to Norwich due 15:09.
Will be formed of 3 coaches instead of 4 between Liverpool Lime Street and Nottingham.
Seems the 6 car experiment has failed, for now at least.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
This week it appears to have been reverted to being booked for a 4 car 158, not been any internal information as to why/if that's the end of the trial though.

Anything is an improvement on booked 2-car, and it can still run 2-car if a unit fails on the morning itself and get most people where they need to be roughly on time.

Wyrleybart

Established Member

158846+158862 today

DannyMich2018

Just seen 170206 on a Nottingham - Skegness service and it’s still in unbranded TFW/GA white and red.
While short forms appear to be happening on Liverpool-Nottingham-Norwich services it seems a waste to use a 3 car 170 on the Skegness route in winter.

LowLevel

Established Member
Anyone have any idea when 170208 is coming over? It didn't move on Sunday for some reason.
It was used in service the day before it was meant to move and the universal toilet ate a Southampton fan and had to be broken into by the fire brigade. I'm assuming they need to fix it.

Starmill

Veteran Member
While short forms appear to be happening on Liverpool-Nottingham-Norwich services it seems a waste to use a 3 car 170 on the Skegness route in winter.
It does a bit but it likely involves a busy service into Nottingham in the morning too for office commuting (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday).

louis97

Established Member
This week it appears to have been reverted to being booked for a 4 car 158, not been any internal information as to why/if that's the end of the trial though.
Monday to Thursday this week 5L54 2158 Liverpool Lime Street to Nottingham has not been running due to a Chat Moss possession so the stock has been running back with the 2137 Liverpool-Nottingham. The stock from the 170 diagram goes on the front, so if it was a 170 only the 3-car 170 would be available for passenger use instead of the normal 4 car 158. The 6-car 170 has returned to its booked diagram today.

STINT47

Has anyone else noticed that on the ex West Midlands units the seat bases seem to be collapsing? Most seem to leave you sat at an angle instead of being and I feel like I'm sliding forwards.

I've just tried a few on an empty unit and some seats are certainly better than others. Not sure why.

GWVillager

Has anyone else noticed that on the ex West Midlands units the seat bases seem to be collapsing? Most seem to leave you sat at an angle instead of being and I feel like I'm sliding forwards.
They were collapsed with WMR for years. The aisle seats tend to be better.

QSK19

I've just tried a few on an empty unit and some seats are certainly better than others. Not sure why.
Yep, I reported to EMR via email a collapsed and completely loose base on a /5 (can’t remember which one).

To be fair to EMR, they sorted it quickly - when I travelled on the same train a couple of days later, said base was fixed back in place.