• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR HST to Scarborough 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

So will this be formed of new 8xx units from next year or will the service itself be binned off?

43 302

Established Member

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
So will this be formed of new 8xx units from next year or will the service itself be binned off?
As we discussed earlier in the thread, the Dec 2020 franchise consultation said the St Pancras <> Scarborough service wouldn’t run at all “from 2021”. Whether that is the start of 2021 or end of 2021, I still can’t really tell for sure, but I reckon it’s highly unlikely..

Last edited:

Pumbaa

Established Member
As we discussed earlier in the thread, the Dec 2020 franchise consultation said the St Pancras <> Scarborough service wouldn’t run at all “from 2021”. Whether that is the start of 2021 or end of 2021, I still can’t really tell for sure, but I reckon it’s highly unlikely..
Won’t run at all. Even if the Summer Saturday timetable came in before the May TT change, it would be binned off. It had more staff than passengers, and was difficult to keep staff route knowledge up if they weren’t inclined to. Plus, additional crew will probably have to be trained for the doubling of York work, so that’ll likely be the focus.

810s aren't due for at least a couple of years. You can read more on them in this thread: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...way-construction-introduction-updates.195052/
And this was the last summer Saturday service to skeg. It wasn't in the new franchise agreement afaik.
I don’t know where this talk came from - it was in one of the industry magazines as well I think. Allow me to help clear up.

It is untrue - additional Summer capacity was mandated in the ITT for the Franchise, the incoming franchisee provided a plan, and the requirement to provide additional capacity is baked into the FA. Even if that doesn’t mean anything now, the fact it’s needed (and will continue to be needed even if no-one ever goes to an office 5 days a week ever again) pretty much guarantees that a provision of some sort will continue.

43 302

Established Member
Won’t run at all. Even if the Summer Saturday timetable came in before the May TT change, it would be binned off. It had more staff than passengers, and was difficult to keep staff route knowledge up if they weren’t inclined to. Plus, additional crew will probably have to be trained for the doubling of York work, so that’ll likely be the focus.

I don’t know where this talk came from - it was in one of the industry magazines as well I think. Allow me to help clear up.

It is untrue - additional Summer capacity was mandated in the ITT for the Franchise, the incoming franchisee provided a plan, and the requirement to provide additional capacity is baked into the FA. Even if that doesn’t mean anything now, the fact it’s needed (and will continue to be needed even if no-one ever goes to an office 5 days a week ever again) pretty much guarantees that a provision of some sort will continue.
Oh okay, interesting. I've read about that in quite a few places and heard a lot of people talk about it so I assuming it was correct.

LowLevel

Established Member
Correct, platform staff no longer sign slam doors unfortunately.

Yet Grantham platform staff have been dispatching the EMR HSTs all summer.

None of the EMR crews have been to Scarborough this year I suspect is a factor.

43 302

Established Member
Yet Grantham platform staff have been dispatching the EMR HSTs all summer.

None of the EMR crews have been to Scarborough this year I suspect is a factor.
I don't know the situation with Grantham. I imagine that they will have signed slam doors again as there have been multiple services to Skegness every Saturday all summer, compared to literally one service to Scarborough. At least some EMR crews still sign to Scarborough on both HST and 222.

route101

Established Member
I took the 0633 on Saturday morning , 7 car 222. I noticed earlier a EMR 222 at York , so they are still running there.

43 302

Established Member
I took the 0633 on Saturday morning , 7 car 222. I noticed earlier a EMR 222 at York , so they are still running there.
They aren't running to York
Must've just started again recently.

But 222s don't have slam doors so the issue still stands.

Leyland155

Correct, platform staff no longer sign slam doors unfortunately.
A somewhat pedantic question, but with the Cross Country HSTs retaining the crew only slam-doors at one end of the train, wouldn't the platform staff at York still need to be trained on how to identify they are properly closed? Though I've no idea if dispatch procedures include checking non-passenger doors!

Iskra

Established Member

There's often been one parked up South of the station when I've travelled to York, so they must run fairly frequently to maintain route knowledge.

43 302

Established Member
A somewhat pedantic question, but with the Cross Country HSTs retaining the crew only slam-doors at one end of the train, wouldn't the platform staff at York still need to be trained on how to identify they are properly closed? Though I've no idea if dispatch procedures include checking non-passenger doors!
I'm sure the guard can manage one door :)

Leyland155

I'm sure the guard can manage one door :)
I suppose you're right :lol: My thinking was that if the guard was dispatching from the other end of the train, they might not notice if, for example, a passenger had attempted to open the crew door and left it on the catch. But then again, I suppose it's in an area not accessible to passengers so shouldn't matter too much anyway!

louis97

Established Member
I suppose you're right :lol: My thinking was that if the guard was dispatching from the other end of the train, they might not notice if, for example, a passenger had attempted to open the crew door and left it on the catch. But then again, I suppose it's in an area not accessible to passengers so shouldn't matter too much anyway!
The light next to the door won't go out unless the door is fully closed, so its fairly obvious from a distance.

Leyland155

The light next to the door won't go out unless the door is fully closed, so its fairly obvious from a distance.
Ah I see, no chance of missing it then. I knew the power-operated doors were connected to the adjacent light, but didn't realise it applied to the crew door too.

route101

Established Member
There's often been one parked up South of the station when I've travelled to York, so they must run fairly frequently to maintain route knowledge.

Yes i seen it pulling into the sidings, surprised they still run up to York.

Status
Not open for further replies.