EMR Kettering train manager assessment + interview Q's

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by nenene, 24 Jan 2020.

1. nenene

nenene New Member

Hiya folks
    Got through the paper sift and been invited to an assessment day slash interview next week with EMR. This is for the trainee train manager role at the new depot opening in Kettering.

Had a few questions which I though I'd ask of you guys. TIA if anyone can answer any of the questions. Though none of them are by any means deal breakers it doesn't hurt to know. None of this is on the listing and I couldn't find the answers on any recent thread.
    1.Anyone gone through the interview or assessment day with EMR, if so any tips? They've sent me SCAAT and TRFS practice material but there's little detail on what I should expect in the interview or group activities other than to research the company and cooperate.
    2.How many hours a week are Intercity side EMR train managers contracted to work? I presume it's an Intercity grade role due to the title.
    3.What routes is it expected that Kettering depot will staff? Just Corby St Pancras or further north too?
    4.What trains will Kettering depot staff learn to staff? Just the electric trains or the diesel ones too?
    5.What would a typical shift pattern look like? How many days on and off and what time start and finish? Also how does annual leave work and how much do you get?
    6.Is there much overtime?Is it expected for staff to take it or is it optional, and is it just paid at the normal rate? Are Sundays in the working week?
    7.Company benefits? Is there free travel on other Abellio operators? What are the pension arrangements and how much do you contribute?
    8.Are there any proposals to get rid of guards- should I be looking elsewhere?
    9.I've heard of a two lives rule for these kinds of applications. Does that apply here, and is that to do with failing the assessment or the interview or either?

Sorry if that seems like a lot of questions. I'm definitely continuing with the process but want to know what I'm signing up for if I get through.
    Thanks
    nenene

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. 2L70

2L70 Member

TMs work a 35 hour week, Routes Traction starts etc to be confirmed, Sundays are outside the working week but committed so if you can’t find cover you need to work them.
    Currently travel agreements with GA, WMR, Merseyrail, Scotrail and LNER.
    There’s no intention to remove Guards in the EMR franchise.
    That only applies to Driving positions.

4. nenene

nenene New Member

Thanks for that!

Does anyone have any experience of the assessment days and anything I should know for this? Also does anyone know anything about the pensions?

5. C J Snarzell

C J Snarzell Member

nenene

I can't answer the question about pensions but I went for an assessment day for a Train Manager vacancy last year with Virgin Trains (before their franchise went to Avanti).

Again, East Midlands might do things slightly differently but I would expect a role play exercise, a group exercise with the other candidates and then possibly an interview. Sometimes, you only get put through for the interview if you've performed well enough in the earlier exercises.

In my case I was one of ten candidates for one job (I didn't get the role). What I will say is please don't let yourself get intimidated or put off by other candidates, especially if they are internal. I find it's best to stay focused and positive during the day. It might be a strange thing to say but you'll probably find the day quite enjoyable.

Good luck and all the best.

CJ

6. 14theroadtom

14theroadtom New Member

Hello, first time poster, I've received an invite to the assessments but I just received an email saying I haven't confirmed my invitation. I can't find any link on the site to do this, I emailed EMR but still waiting for a response. Any help please?

7. 14theroadtom

14theroadtom New Member

UPDATE
    I've had a response from EMR acknowledging my email.

8. benjc

benjc Member

I have an assessment day next week too :)

9. MYRTLE3000

MYRTLE3000 Member

I will see you at the assessment day on Thursday

10. MYRTLE3000

MYRTLE3000 Member

Hi everyone,

I attended the assessment day for Train Manager based at Kettering in late January. I passed the group tasks, speed interviews and then did a competency based interview.

I was one of 3 that got to this point, out of about 20 candidates that day. However since the interview I've heard nothing. I want to know if EMR will contact me if I am not successful or whether I should take their silence as the answer?

There were only 3 of us, therefore it wouldn't take too long to receive a result.

Thanks

11. 43066

43066 Member

Might be better just to contact them and ask? I doubt anyone on here will be in a position to advise, to be honest.

Last edited: 21 Feb 2020 at 16:34
  12. amanda08

amanda08 Member

I would try to contact them. I went through the process in December for Nottingham and got an email within 48 hours letting me k ow I was in the pool. The people who weren’t successful heard at the same time