• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Liverpool to Norwich route

Status
Not open for further replies.

CICERO55

Hello, whats the current situation with rolling stock issues on the
liverpool to norwich route using only 2 car class 158s for the whole journey? Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Hello, whats the current situation with rolling stock issues on the
liverpool to norwich route using only 2 car class 158s for the whole journey? Thanks
Are you suggesting that they have stopped doubling up for the Liverpool to Nottingham part of the route? RTT does look a bit of a mix of 2 and 4 car trains for the last few days.

NoOnesFool

A considerable amount of Class 158s have developed coupler faults and so are unable to run in multiple at the moment.

Bovverboy

Established Member
158s have been around since 1990 without suffering any coupler fault pandemics, that I have heard. To add to that, a unit needs a fully functioning coupler at only one end in order to couple to a second unit. So the tale of coupler faults needs to be regarded as suspect, I suggest.

ThePeakNed

158s have been around since 1990 without suffering any coupler fault pandemics, that I have heard. To add to that, a unit needs a fully functioning coupler at only one end in order to couple to a second unit. So the tale of coupler faults needs to be regarded as suspect, I suggest.
It’s more than possible for both couplers to be faulty, especially given the recent cold weather.

LowLevel

Established Member
General availability issues rather than coupler problems as far as I'm aware. Yesterday several 170 diagrams were 15x which doesn't help and the 15x themselves are also old and tired.

ashworth

Established Member
General availability issues rather than coupler problems as far as I'm aware. Yesterday several 170 diagrams were 15x which doesn't help and the 15x themselves are also old and tired.
I think that’s definitely the problem. The 156’s and 158’s are old and tired after being used intensively for 30 years now. Things may get better as more 170’s are introduced but I don’t think that can be guaranteed. The 170’s are now over 20 years old and have also been used intensively and also getting to the stage where they could be described as old and tired.

jamesst

It’s more than possible for both couplers to be faulty, especially given the recent cold weather.

At my toc its a no no for a unit to be out with both couplers faulty, more than anything because it makes rescue in the event of breakdown etc so much more difficult

Liverpool 507

I hope at some stage EMR will send 170s back to Liverpool. It would be nice to see a 222 back up this end as well before EMR get shut, however one is dreaming here.

hooverboy

On Moderation
A considerable amount of Class 158s have developed coupler faults and so are unable to run in multiple at the moment.
does seem rather curious.
the 158's have been very reliable units in the main.They've never really been plagued by this sort of issue before in 30+ years of working.EMR should be very,very familiar with the repair procedures.
Is this a service/maintenance issue??..perhaps new components,processes or staff involved in the upkeep of these units.

ThePeakNed

At my toc its a no no for a unit to be out with both couplers faulty, more than anything because it makes rescue in the event of breakdown etc so much more difficult
To be fair it’s probably a bit of short sightedness on my part. No doubt it’s probably in the rulebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.