• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMR Smart Kiosk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Admittedly I'm a more advanced user than most passengers, but using the original interface I got through to the payment screen in around 15 seconds, and with the journey planner that increased to 45 seconds.
I would definitely concur with this analysis based on my experience too. I am assuming this is when you already know which train you are going to catch, and can select it from the journey planner quickly once you get to that screen? I think for someone who isn't aware of the timetable/journey options before they approach the machine and needs to browse these, the time taken could increase by quite a bit more than 30 seconds.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You seem to be forgetting that most journeys are return journeys and the ticketing system is designed around people purchasing both their outbound and return tickets before starting their outbound journey. The outbound time is pretty obvious (the person probably wants the next train or at least one of the next few trains), the return time not so much.

What this essentially says is that APOD is the problem, because otherwise once the person has picked the outbound they basically need to be asked which of a set of time-bands they are returning in, not to pick a train.

You could again go evidence-based, though - "do you want a flexible ticket?" as a question, I bet most people at a TVM would select "yes".

I mean, how often are people boarding at Peartree going to buy anything other than a simple walk-up return to Derby or perhaps Nottingham?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The new EMR machines are for stations that currently have no retailing facilities, so being able to buy a limited range of tickets is still better than being able to buy none at all.
Currently, passengers at these stations can board the train, confident that they won't have to queue for a ticket beforehand, and that the guard will be able to sell them the ticket they want - on CCST - meaning cross-London transfers are no problem at all.

Once these machines are installed, passengers will have to arrive at the station well before the train leaves - who knows how long the queue will be with these itinerary based TVMs - on pain of having to pay the undiscounted Anytime single, a Penalty Fare or prosecution. Oh, and if you want to cross London then you'll have to rebook at London, even if that costs a lot more - sorry!

Now, I wonder which scenario represents the better customer experience...

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I would definitely concur with this analysis based on my experience too. I am assuming this is when you already know which train you are going to catch, and can select it from the journey planner quickly once you get to that screen? I think for someone who isn't aware of the timetable/journey options before they approach the machine and needs to browse these, the time taken could increase by quite a bit more than 30 seconds.
It was just a walk-up ticket with no reservation needed, thus no need to choose a specific train as I knew which fare I wanted for the purposes of the test. Even with that speed, it still took me three times longer than it did on the original version.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
What this essentially says is that APOD is the problem, because otherwise once the person has picked the outbound they basically need to be asked which of a set of time-bands they are returning in, not to pick a train.

You could again go evidence-based, though - "do you want a flexible ticket?" as a question, I bet most people at a TVM would select "yes".

I mean, how often are people boarding at Peartree going to buy anything other than a simple walk-up return to Derby or perhaps Nottingham?
I'm just in the process of adding the quick issue screens back to our TVMs , at least for journeys that don't have a mandatory reservation requirement.

exesoundtech

Chiltern (like Northern in being part of Arriva) also installed them, last time I used them they gave out normal tickets. The large screen is also not particularly easy to use due to its size and being so close up.

I'm always amused by statements like "first Smart Kiosks". These sorts of statements have to be used carefully in case someone else happened to use the same obvious name for a similar product. In this case Cammax were beaten to the punch by Parkeon/Flowbird who installed a product called a "Smart Kiosk" in Harrogate (well two actually) way back in 2015. I can vouch for this as I was there at the time, however reference here in an FoI response from Northern on what TVMs they have:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/653469/response/1552121/attach/html/2/012 Ticket Vending Machine List.pdf.html

So, what I suspect is really being boasted about here is the first Cammax Smart Kiosk anywhere which, of course, sounds much less impressive ;)

Incidentally, and for additional amusement, that Flowbird ToDler in the Northern FoI list? The carcass is a variation on the Cammax X6 supplied by Cammax to Flowbird who add the software and CCST printing capability... So what you're actually seeing is Cammax competing with one of their own customers :lol:

https://www.cammaxlimited.co.uk/kiosks/freestanding-kiosks/indoor-smart-ticketing-kiosk/

Geeves

Established Member
We had one of those Todlers at Manchester Vic and it was less reliable than the 10 year old S&B machines. I dont hold much hope for those ones out in the wilds of Lincolnshire

On a slightly related note I often wonder why no one has tried to transfer the booking office type system to the outside world, its really pretty user friendly for day to day sales. Fujitsu Star for example

Status
Not open for further replies.