EMT Observations

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by Essexman, 8 Nov 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Essexman

Essexman Member

I went to Leicester from St Pancras today, choosing HST service as usual.

Three observations which I wondered if are now usual:

On the 2 HSTS I travelled on & 3 others I saw, first class was at north end. Is this coincidence or have they all been tuurned?

The trolley didn't come into first class at all. Normal good at seat service from first class staff, but no opportunity to buy crisps, chocolate, coke etc.

Stopped at Luton on way back & this was announced as 'Luton Town'. Presumably to differentiate it from Parkway, but I'd not heard it before.
    Station signs said 'Luton' or 'Luton Station' , the 'Station' seeming rather superfluous.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. bengolding

bengolding Member

EMT have no consistency as to the proper location of First. Yes, a few trains reverse at Nottingham but this cannot account for so many of their Meridians or HSTs being in reverse formation.

If you travelled on a peak service out of St Pancras, the FC hosts should have asked if you wanted to buy anything from the First menu. Last week, I had a tasty hot meal served in a plate, which for the price was quite tasty. A handful of northbound evening peak EMT services offer an 'enhanced' service which is efectively just a slice of cake that Virgin offer all day!

4. Essexman

Essexman Member

I travelled out on the 12.15 and was asked if I wanted food from menu. I find that they do usually ask.
    Came back on 16.57 from Leicester and wasn't asked.
    Usually I do have a meal but it didn't fit with my schedule today.
    Shame they don't do the steak & ale pie with potatoes now though as that was excellent.

5. shinkansen1966

shinkansen1966 Established Member

Last night (7 Nov), travelled back on the last train from East Midlands Parkway to London St Pancras. At Leicester, announcements said change at Leicester for "Luton Town" and also for "Eastern Counties". What station is "Eastern Counties" ?

There are times when announcements seem vague and padded, as if the guard is filling air time like a DJ between records.

6. bengolding

bengolding Member

That "Eastern Counties" bit probably relates to Peterborough/Cambridge/Stansted. Seing as your service would have missed the last connection to "Eastern Counties" by 40 minutes (the 20:22 from New St), that announcement was just pointless!

7. notoemt

notoemt Member

Well caught the 5:55 from London today - no hot drinks or food in First Class due to the heating implements. TM made one announcement apologising to first class customers. No announcements about where the train was going to or the lack of rail gourmet.

Are EMT having staffing problems? Can't think of the last time my ticket was checked on the train - it's not that I want it checked, it's just I like to actually see that there is staff on the train and not a tape being played by the driver or something.

8. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

Have there been any Harringworth diversions recently?

9. SuperOwl86

SuperOwl86 Member

Could the back road into Sheffield be a reason why first would be at the north end?

10. bengolding

bengolding Member

Are you saying there was no form of First Class service at all? When I travel First Class on EMT, my ticket is always checked (well, squiggled with a biro) by the FC host on departure from St P. Given that FC fares on EMT in the evening peak to the Midlands are ridiculously high (just look at how reasonable First Advances are on Virgin compared to EMT at say 17:00), I suggest you write to EMT. They'll probably send you some rail vouchers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.