• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMUs for West Yorkshire

Status
Not open for further replies.

SC318250

i think the 322's will have intermediate door controls like the 321's otherwise they would not be allowed on the airedale line. like the time a silverlink 321 was hired to northern and was banned from shipley station.

They could do if Northern Pay for them but they dont at the moment

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scotrail84

Established Member
They could do if Northern Pay for them but they dont at the moment

I think the figure quoted to fit door panels for each unit was around £25k each. Scotrail wouldn't fit them i doubt Northern Rail will either.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I wonder if there will be a mass 322 bash before they go ;)
[

i'm game, quite sorry they are going but have long sympothised with the guards working them

It keeps us fit. I dont know when the last 322 working will be but i dont think it will be long before they are transferred south. I was told end of this month but really not sure at the moment.

pemma

Veteran Member
I think the figure quoted to fit door panels for each unit was around £25k each. Scotrail wouldn't fit them i doubt Northern Rail will either.

It's been reported on northernrailways.co.uk that they are getting the door panels. Remember the stock is being used in Leeds - Northern like investing in services around Leeds, York and Hull but only find minimal investment for elsewhere.

SC318250

I dont know when the last 322 working will be but i dont think it will be long before they are transferred south. I was told end of this month but really not sure at the moment.

I think the last Scotrail operated 322 is next Friday, although 380116 was suppose to be delivered on Friday and 380114 earlier this week. Both were still at Polmadie the other day. May have been delayed due to the block at Shields.

322481/485 one of these 2 should be off to Railcare for a C4 overhaul in the next few days, then Kilmarnock the following week. The other one will follow a few weeks later. 322484 should be off to Kilmarnock soon.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Remember the stock is being used in Leeds - Northern like investing in services around Leeds, York and Hull but only find minimal investment for elsewhere.

Northern? Invest?

You mean "West Yorkshire PTE like spending their money on train services in/around Leeds", its not Northern's generosity.

The same money is available to spend at other PTEs too, its just that GMPTE/TfGM tend to spend most of their cash on their pet-tram (something which West Yorkshire cannot do since they've not been permitted to build any light rail).

No conspiracy.

pemma

Veteran Member
Northern? Invest?

You mean "West Yorkshire PTE like spending their money on train services in/around Leeds", its not Northern's generosity.

The same money is available to spend at other PTEs too, its just that GMPTE/TfGM tend to spend most of their cash on their pet-tram (something which West Yorkshire cannot do since they've not been permitted to build any light rail).

No conspiracy.

What about SYPTE sponsoring some of the fourth cars on the 333s (used in West Yorks) to ensure they don't get 3 car EMUs on the Doncaster service (after Metro ran out of funding), or Merseytravel sponsoring 6x158s so that 6x156s are used in Merseyside? Or what about the 158 centre cars, which DfT specifically allocated for Blackpool services, on other West Yorks services?

Northern do favour West Yorks whether it's their money that's used or not.

tbtc

Veteran Member
What about SYPTE sponsoring some of the fourth cars on the 333s (used in West Yorks) to ensure they don't get 3 car EMUs on the Doncaster service (after Metro ran out of funding), or Merseytravel sponsoring 6x158s so that 6x156s are used in Merseyside? Or what about the 158 centre cars, which DfT specifically allocated for Blackpool services, on other West Yorks services?

Northern do favour West Yorks whether it's their money that's used or not.

...but the examples you've quoted are of PTEs (etc) paying for services, not proof that Northern "like" investing in services around Leeds (compared to anywhere else).

Similarly I wouldn't say that ATW think Holyhead - Cardiff is a priority area, but if some government body want to throw money at them to do so then they're not going to complain.

pemma

Veteran Member
...but the examples you've quoted are of PTEs (etc) paying for services, not proof that Northern "like" investing in services around Leeds (compared to anywhere else).

I was replying to your post that made it sound like all the benefits in West Yorks are down to Metro funding, when in fact some are down to Merseytravel, SYPTE and DfT funding combined with Northern favouritism to ensure that it's not, for instance, Merseyside that benefits from Merseytravel funding, it's actually Merseyside and West Yorkshire that benefit from Merseytravel funding.

I'll bet that in 2012 if Northern don't lose the 6 x Yorkshire Forward sponsored 158s (when the government shuts down Yorkshire Forward) they will remain on Yorkshire routes anyway.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I was replying to your post that made it sound like all the benefits in West Yorks are down to Metro funding, when in fact some are down to Merseytravel, SYPTE and DfT funding combined with Northern favouritism to ensure that it's not, for instance, Merseyside that benefits from Merseytravel funding, it's actually Merseyside and West Yorkshire that benefit from Merseytravel funding.

I'll bet that in 2012 if Northern don't lose the 6 x Yorkshire Forward sponsored 158s (when the government shuts down Yorkshire Forward) they will remain on Yorkshire routes anyway.

Fair enough, I was just challenging your supposition that Northern "like" investing in Leeds - they don't "invest" in anything but they are happy to take money to do things.

There's nothing stopping TfGM paying Northern to make similar improvements, they chose not to. Can't blame Northern for this.

pemma

Veteran Member
There's nothing stopping TfGM paying Northern to make similar improvements, they chose not to. Can't blame Northern for this.

TfGM do pay Northern for strengthening around 10 services per week day, sponsor use of the 5 x 142s that were put in to storage by Northern after the closure of the Oldham Loop, as well part funding the 180s for use on weekdays. Without the latter funding the 2-5 car Hazel Grove to Preston service would be a 2 car Hazel Grove to Bolton service, unless another strengthened service was cut to 2 car.

Merseytravel, GMPTE, SYPTE and Metro were all involved in funding new units/carriages in the 1980s and 1990s. However, doing so at present would be very difficult due to cut budgets and the way franchises now work.

Status
Not open for further replies.