• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EMUs for West Yorkshire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Which EMU class is West Yorkshire going to get from the Scotrail cascade? Is it the 322s? How do they differ from the 321s?

Can anyone post pictures/links of the trains Yorkshire will be getting please?

Are they going to go on to the routes out to Ilkley, Keighley and Bradford?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anvil1984

Established Member
322s are pretty much the same as the 321s but received different branding and class to keep them separate for Stansted Express work when new. They will be going on the "triangle" to replace the DMU diagrams (there is a morning one and an evening diagram) and to run peak time extras on those routes

Blindtraveler

Established Member
322s are pretty much the same as the 321s but received different branding and class to keep them separate for Stansted Express work when new. They will be going on the "triangle" to replace the DMU diagrams (there is a morning one and an evening diagram) and to run peak time extras on those routes

i uam under the impression also that it wil give Northern extra flexibilitty in times of trubble and strain.

The units were last refurbished in 2005 which was pritty comprehensive - 3 plus 2 low back seating, toilets refurbed, new or painted walls, new flooring lots of cycle space and a pink theme throughout. Understand they wil undergo work before/after coming to northern, maybe to remove some bike wracks and put seats in?

SC318250

322482/483 are at Wabtec, Kilmarnock getting bike racks removed and seating put back in. Should probably be going back to Shields Depot later this week/next week. GBrF will then move them to Neville Hill via Doncaster under their own power

me123

Established Member
i uam under the impression also that it wil give Northern extra flexibilitty in times of trubble and strain.

The units were last refurbished in 2005 which was pritty comprehensive - 3 plus 2 low back seating, toilets refurbed, new or painted walls, new flooring lots of cycle space and a pink theme throughout. Understand they wil undergo work before/after coming to northern, maybe to remove some bike wracks and put seats in?

A comprehensive refurb it was. But, be prepared, they are slightly... err... camp. Clicky.

They should all be down by September, although it may be quicker seeing as the 380s are settling into service rather nicely now.

Anvil1984

Established Member

That's also true as we are receiving 5 units for about 3 units amount of work, our 321s can be workshy at times

Blindtraveler

Established Member
That's also true as we are receiving 5 units for about 3 units amount of work, our 321s can be workshy at times

wel not sure what side of the pacer fense you arf on but if its the hate camp then you can look forward to a few less of them, esp when units fail or are off service.

Personally I'm sorry there going as I dont like diziros! The units also have pis fittede hoping you guys make use of it.

Anvil1984

Established Member
I'm Northern Rail traincrew but dont work Triangle or Donnys so I will see more pacers, a train is a train

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Sorry to go back to a thread thats a little bit old!

Scot-rail.co.uk is reporting 322482 and 322483 transferred to Northern on 1/7/11, I guess this is while they were at Wabtec. I had heard December mooted for introduction on Northern service - that seems a bit far away if theyre in the works now? Any more up to date in service expectation?

Yew

Established Member
I'm Northern Rail traincrew but dont work Triangle or Donnys so I will see more pacers, a train is a train

And a Railbus is a Bus :)

A few days ago I heard some old gaffers in the pub at worksop come out to see if this was their train, with their mate back in the pub

Man In Pub"Is the train here"
Man on Platform "No its only a Railbus"

shedman

Before I went on leave there was 2 322s at NL and Im pretty sure the bike racks had already been removed. Also at one end the former first class (2+2) seating was present with Scotrail covers. I've only been on the 322s a few times in Scotland so I don't know if they've always been there.

Aictos

Established Member
A comprehensive refurb it was. But, be prepared, they are slightly... err... camp. Clicky.

They should all be down by September, although it may be quicker seeing as the 380s are settling into service rather nicely now.

Nothing wrong with pink train interiors I have you know, <(

SC318250

Bike racks removed at Kilmarnock and seating put back in
Not sure if it has retained 3+2 seating throughout rest of train

pemma

Veteran Member
Scot-rail.co.uk is reporting 322482 and 322483 transferred to Northern on 1/7/11, I guess this is while they were at Wabtec. I had heard December mooted for introduction on Northern service - that seems a bit far away if theyre in the works now? Any more up to date in service expectation?

From what I've heard Northern have 2 x 158 diagrams working on the electrified lines around Leeds at peak times. These are to be replaced by 322s and the 158s to strengthen Calder Vale services. This change could happen before December. However, adding in additional services won't happen before the December timetable change.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I have heard that some fo the bradford peak services may be run as 8 car but im not sure how much substance there is to this. Many a day recently 3 car DMUS or even 2 car DMUS have to fill in on leeds doncaster runs or just get cancelled as happened to me the other day.

The 322s should eradicate this entirely. hopefully. Thats what the main benefit in my eyes is. As well as freeing up DMUS in peaks.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I have heard that some fo the bradford peak services may be run as 8 car but im not sure how much substance there is to this. Many a day recently 3 car DMUS or even 2 car DMUS have to fill in on leeds doncaster runs or just get cancelled as happened to me the other day.

The 322s should eradicate this entirely. hopefully. Thats what the main benefit in my eyes is. As well as freeing up DMUS in peaks.

I'm not expecting a lot of new services, I think it'd be a big step forward if the current services under the wires were all run. All too often one 321 fails, meaining Northern don't run the other two (since nothing can rescue a 321 other than another 321), which means putting three coach 158s on the Doncaster duties (as well as the DMUs needed to run services around Shipley).

I presume that the Bradford service could be eight coach, since the London services also stop at Shipley - could Frizzinghall be too short through?

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I'm not expecting a lot of new services, I think it'd be a big step forward if the current services under the wires were all run. All too often one 321 fails, meaining Northern don't run the other two (since nothing can rescue a 321 other than another 321), which means putting three coach 158s on the Doncaster duties (as well as the DMUs needed to run services around Shipley).

I presume that the Bradford service could be eight coach, since the London services also stop at Shipley - could Frizzinghall be too short through?

Not sure ive heard it may a peak time extra express that is 8 car if enough units avaliable... or maybe just one train is opened at frixinghall. But ive definitely heard it. I wouldnt want any new service to be fair, make current ones more reliable and maybe extend the ones that can be.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I wouldnt want any new service to be fair, make current ones more reliable and maybe extend the ones that can be

Same goes for the DMU cascade - no new services just use the extra carriages to extend some of the busiest services and improve the reliability (meaning no "missing" services)

Scotrail84

Established Member
You are getting 5 x 322 units 481,482,483,484 and 485. 484 and 481 are still working North Berwicks indeed both are out on duty today. A little info for the train crew (mainly the guards) that are going to be working them.

1 - They are terrible units to work plain and simple. (a lot of walking involved for the guard)

2 - The doors can only be opened from the rear cab which let me tell you is murder if your at the front coming into a station.

3 - The DKS is operated with a BR21 A or BR21 B key. Make sure you have a spare on you because i can guarantee you will lock yourself out the cab at some point as we all have. Im sure some of the members here can vouch for that. Entrance to the cab from the saloon is also a BR21 A or BR21 B key.

4 - The toilets have retention tanks with no way of knowing how full they are until they actually overflow into the saloons. Yes i have seen this happen before. Toilets can be locked with T key or BR21 key, also the water tanks dont seem to hold much water as they empty pretty quickly.

5 - Due to the layout of the current seating plan there is not much standing room when train is full especially if you have bikes and push chairs on board and i certainly would not like to work an 8 car 322 - :cry:

6 - The driver/guard communication is a bell instead of a buzzer, which is quite loud and you get a shock if you dont expect it :lol:

Want to know more?? Just Yell....:)

YorkshireBear

Established Member
You are getting 5 x 322 units 481,482,483,484 and 485. 484 and 481 are still working North Berwicks indeed both are out on duty today. A little info for the train crew (mainly the guards) that are going to be working them.

1 - They are terrible units to work plain and simple. (a lot of walking involved for the guard)

2 - The doors can only be opened from the rear cab which let me tell you is murder if your at the front coming into a station.

3 - The DKS is operated with a BR21 A or BR21 B key. Make sure you have a spare on you because i can guarantee you will lock yourself out the cab at some point as we all have. Im sure some of the members here can vouch for that. Entrance to the cab from the saloon is also a BR21 A or BR21 B key.

4 - The toilets have retention tanks with no way of knowing how full they are until they actually overflow into the saloons. Yes i have seen this happen before. Toilets can be locked with T key or BR21 key, also the water tanks dont seem to hold much water as they empty pretty quickly.

5 - Due to the layout of the current seating plan there is not much standing room when train is full especially if you have bikes and push chairs on board and i certainly would not like to work an 8 car 322 - :cry:

6 - The driver/guard communication is a bell instead of a buzzer, which is quite loud and you get a shock if you dont expect it :lol:

Trust me thats better than cancelling services left right and centre!

i think the 8 car foramtions will be formed of 333s not 322s from what i heard so hopefully they will never be one.

But yeah its all extra coachs to us down here we need them that badly...

Scotrail84

Established Member
Trust me thats better than cancelling services left right and centre!

i think the 8 car foramtions will be formed of 333s not 322s from what i heard so hopefully they will never be one.

But yeah its all extra coachs to us down here we need them that badly...

If you live in The Steel City you wont see the 322s there will you? Unless they throw wires up sharpish :lol:

Although if your in Leeds your bound to catch them at some point.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
If you live in The Steel City you wont see the 322s there will you? Unless they throw wires up sharpish :lol:

Although if your in Leeds your bound to catch them at some point.

My home throughout the year is split around 50 50 i am from chapeltown in sheffield but spend university time (around 7 months) in leeds

CarterUSM

Established Member

I'm glad to see the back of them, haven't worked one in weeks though. 380's are much more guard friendly.

Scotrail84

Established Member
I'm glad to see the back of them, haven't worked one in weeks though. 380's are much more guard friendly.

I wonder if there will be a mass 322 bash before they go ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
My home throughout the year is split around 50 50 i am from chapeltown in sheffield but spend university time (around 7 months) in leeds

Luck you ;)

tom1649

Won't most of this just be the same as the three 321s which already work out of Leeds?

i think the 322's will have intermediate door controls like the 321's otherwise they would not be allowed on the airedale line. like the time a silverlink 321 was hired to northern and was banned from shipley station.

Status
Not open for further replies.