• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

End of the line for Paris’ iconic metro ticket

Route115?

I have a fairly ancient Navigo Carte Nominate pass which I haven't used since covid. Will it still be valid. Can I just turn up at Gare du Nord & purchase a week pass for zones 1 - 5 as I have in the past? Are weekly tickets still valide from Monday - Sunday?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
I have a fairly ancient Navigo Carte Nominate pass which I haven't used since covid. Will it still be valid. Can I just turn up at Gare du Nord & purchase a week pass for zones 1 - 5 as I have in the past?
It should be fine. You can also purchase it using most phones and load via the NFC chip.
Are weekly tickets still valide from Monday - Sunday?
yes.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
TfL still sells them to bulk purchasers as far as I know.

Fascinating - I can see no reference to them on the main TfL site. By "bulk", do you mean very large-scale commercial users* - in which case I'm trying to imagine a context? (*ie not just a few dozen for an individual.)

Route115?

An update to my post of 7 Jan. I was sold an all zone Navigo Nominate weekly pass for 30.75 Euro and also told that I needed a new card (I think that they have moved to smart cards) sold to me at at a cost of 5 Euros. This required a passport type photo. (Everywhere else I have had my photo taken by a camera.) The only problem I had was at a ticket check where I was given a warning (but no more) for travelling without a valid photocard. (Luckily I had my old card which is why I probably got away with it.) I was able to extract my photo - or most of it - from my old style card and put it in my new style card. I would recommend the Navigo if you are doing a lot of travelling - like I was, but bring a passport type photo. Its cheaper than the Paris Visite. There are also daily passes.

Flying Snail

Established Member
An update to my post of 7 Jan. I was sold an all zone Navigo Nominate weekly pass for 30.75 Euro and also told that I needed a new card (I think that they have moved to smart cards) sold to me at at a cost of 5 Euros. This required a passport type photo. (Everywhere else I have had my photo taken by a camera.) The only problem I had was at a ticket check where I was given a warning (but no more) for travelling without a valid photocard. (Luckily I had my old card which is why I probably got away with it.) I was able to extract my photo - or most of it - from my old style card and put it in my new style card. I would recommend the Navigo if you are doing a lot of travelling - like I was, but bring a passport type photo. Its cheaper than the Paris Visite. There are also daily passes.

The weekly/monthly/day tickets can be bought and used directly from a NFC phone with the Île-de-France Mobilités app, saves the photo nonsense and dealing with ticket offices.

Another quirk with the weekly tickets is that they are only offered Monday-Sunday and can only be bought from the Friday before validity to the Thursday of the valid week. Due to the price the weekly may be cheaper than 2 or 3 day tickets but for Fri - Sun use they need to be bought by Thursday.

island

Veteran Member
The weekly/monthly/day tickets can be bought and used directly from a NFC phone with the Île-de-France Mobilités app, saves the photo nonsense and dealing with ticket offices.

Only a limited number of Android phones and no iPhones support this.
Another quirk with the weekly tickets is that they are only offered Monday-Sunday and can only be bought from the Friday before validity to the Thursday of the valid week. Due to the price the weekly may be cheaper than 2 or 3 day tickets but for Fri - Sun use they need to be bought by Thursday.
Yes, which is easy enough to do on the app if you have the card.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Great, thanks. I have a 90 min cross Paris connection and I know how hideous the queues at GDN can be!

As of today yes too :D

Bought a single paper ticket at the machine at Gare de Nord last week.
Interestingly on my Paris-London trip they had actually sold out of Oysters, my theory was very much destroyed that no one actually purchases them onboard!

Spamcan81

I’m travelling to/through Paris in May. I’ll be using RER from GDN to my destination. Are tickets for these services affected in the same way as the changes to the Metro ticketing system?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Does anyone know if Eurostar still sells Paris Metro tickets on board?
I would suggest buying several, perhaps a carnet even. Dunno if it was bad luck but I seemed to have a load that had been demagnetised so wouldn't work the barriers any more and Metro staff were either non-existent or entirely unwilling to help!

island

Veteran Member
I’m travelling to/through Paris in May. I’ll be using RER from GDN to my destination. Are tickets for these services affected in the same way as the changes to the Metro ticketing system?
They are unchanged. You can still get single paper tickets, 10 for the price of 8, half fare for child 4-9 etc. And remember RER tickets are valid in either direction, so a ticket from La Plaine Stade de France to Antony (say) is alternatively valid from Antony to La Plaine Stade de France.

Spamcan81

They are unchanged. You can still get single paper tickets, 10 for the price of 8, half fare for child 4-9 etc. And remember RER tickets are valid in either direction, so a ticket from La Plaine Stade de France to Antony (say) is alternatively valid from Antony to La Plaine Stade de France.

Thanks. Been 30 years since I last used RER so will need to refresh my memory on how it works.

stadler

Does anyone know how much they cost to buy onboard Eurostar trains? Are they actually sold for the proper price or do Eurostar add a surcharge to make some profit?

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Does anyone know how much they cost to buy onboard Eurostar trains? Are they actually sold for the proper price or do Eurostar add a surcharge to make some profit?

When I bought a carnet of 10 on board Eurostar a couple of months back, they were certainly cheaper than 10 singles bought in Paris, but I can't now remember if the saving was as much as buying a carnet when I got there. But of course the convenience factor - having a stash stuffed in your passport for whenever you might need one (knowing the queues can be hell at GdN) - outweighed any concern that I might be giving Eurostar a quid or so they might not deserve...

PS - off topic, but while I think of it. On my last Eurostar trip, the announcement from the buffet staff encouraging people to go and enjoy their wonderful food [or whatever] was in excellent Portuguese and Spanish (as well as in two of the three usual languages used). I don't remember ever hearing either of those languages used in announcements on board before!

Ian99

I need to cross from Paris Nord to Paris Montparnasse - I've some old paper tickets which I see I paid 1.49 Euros for. Are they still valid please?

AlbertBeale

Established Member
I need to cross from Paris Nord to Paris Montparnasse - I've some old paper tickets which I see I paid 1.49 Euros for. Are they still valid please?

The existing little card tickets are still valid (indeed I bought a new carnet of them not long ago on Eurostar); I last used a card ticket a few months ago. Some years back, I found a very old - unused - Paris ticket in my wallet, and it was too manky to work the gates, but the nearest ticket office happily swapped it for a new one. As far as I understand, you've paid for a journey, and they'll honour the ticket. The fact that they were cheaper when you bought them shouldn't matter.

By the way - although there's a direct metro connection GdNord-GMontparnasse (Line 4), my memory of it is that it's a massively long walk along several tunnels from the metro station to the main line trains at the Montparnasse end, especially since they expanded it to take some of the TGV routes. If you're not in a hurry, and want to see some sights en route, or have loads of luggage, remember there's a direct bus (the 91) which goes from a road (Rue de Saint-Quentin, I _think_) in front of GdNord [and can probably be be reached as quickly as the metro platforms], and finishes alongside the Montparnasse TGV station; it runs pretty frequently. I'm not sure how long the journey takes - it no doubt depends massively on the time of day. I've only ever used it between GdNord and GdLyon (which it goes past en route), and I think that took the best part of 30 minutes in busyish traffic - so the 91 route end-to-end might perhaps take an hour if you're unlucky with the traffic. However, if you have the time, it can (I find) be less stressful to use the bus than the metro. The same ticket is fine for either.

The existing little card tickets are still valid (indeed I bought a new carnet of them not long ago on Eurostar); I last used a card ticket a few months ago. Some years back, I found a very old - unused - Paris ticket in my wallet, and it was too manky to work the gates, but the nearest ticket office happily swapped it for a new one. As far as I understand, you've paid for a journey, and they'll honour the ticket. The fact that they were cheaper when you bought them shouldn't matter.

By the way - although there's a direct metro connection GdNord-GMontparnasse (Line 4), my memory of it is that it's a massively long walk along several tunnels from the metro station to the main line trains at the Montparnasse end, especially since they expanded it to take some of the TGV routes. If you're not in a hurry, and want to see some sights en route, or have loads of luggage, remember there's a direct bus (the 91) which goes from a road (Rue de Saint-Quentin, I _think_) in front of GdNord [and can probably be be reached as quickly as the metro platforms], and finishes alongside the Montparnasse TGV station; it runs pretty frequently. I'm not sure how long the journey takes - it no doubt depends massively on the time of day. I've only ever used it between GdNord and GdLyon (which it goes past en route), and I think that took the best part of 30 minutes in busyish traffic - so the 91 route end-to-end might perhaps take an hour if you're unlucky with the traffic. However, if you have the time, it can (I find) be less stressful to use the bus than the metro. The same ticket is fine for either.
The 91 is not particularly direct - historically it just ran Bastille to G Montparnasse - and yes takes around the hour mark from G Nord to G Montparnasse. As you say though, it is very useful from G Lyon to Montparnasse - it saves faffing around at G Lyon descending to the Metro and the route march at G Montparnasse to reach the main-line station. Useful for G Austerlitz too.

Established Member
I used an old carnet ticket that I must have had for over 30 years today, paid for in francs. That worked.

snowleopard

Just for info: I tried to buy metro tickets (would have taken singles or a carnet) from the Eurostar buffet car tonight and the kind member of staff told me that they regrettably don’t sell them anymore… maybe this is truly the end of the line/stocks now

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Just for info: I tried to buy metro tickets (would have taken singles or a carnet) from the Eurostar buffet car tonight and the kind member of staff told me that they regrettably don’t sell them anymore… maybe this is truly the end of the line/stocks now

Pity! Still - I have a wodge with my passport which will keep me going for a few years...