• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

End of the Line for Weymouth Quay branch - March 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChilternTurbo

Thanks for that! I've got a Video125 drivers eye view DVD from Weymouth to Waterloo and it's got bonus footage of the Weymouth Tramway and there's similar footage of cars being manhandled out of the way of a Class 73.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
I can't say I am surprised. I have never travelled the line but walked the length of it about 3-4 years ago (down the 4 foot where practicable) when holidaying in the Bournemouth area and I travelled down for the day. Even then it was in a state and it was being earmarked for lifting. I do have photos I took somewhere on the PC. I was in Weymouth again the summer before last and walked a part of it once again on the way to get something to eat - something I didn't expect to be able to do as I thought it may have been gone by then.

By those asking how it is a hazard - one section of the line runs down a main road and as I recall, vehicles travelling down the road end up running on it. When wet it gets slippery and I recall at least one major accident being attributed to it. Unlike tramways, which have shallower and narrower grooves, the Tramway has 'proper' railway grade track so the groove is both wider and deeper. Unlike level crossings where the track is crossed perpendicularly, bikes would run parallel to the tracks and cyclists are prone to losing their wheel down the gap, as I understand!

The sooner it is ripped up and the old connection plain-lined, allowing road and rail maintenance to be carried out more easily, the better

Some, no doubt, but it'll hardly put much of a dent in the costs I suspect. The remaining stub before the level crossing at the station end will probably remain, but to become a proper siding it really needs an extra point end inserted at the junction to form a trap to allow stock to be left unnattended in it. I think it's track circuited as far as the fixed red protecting the level crossing (DR205?), with the move towards it authorised by a main aspect route, so it could even become an additional passenger platform if desired.

I think the stub, pre the level crossing, has been used recently for stabling a train. I may be wrong, however (and I don't think it is electrified which limits its use currently)

I walked the length of the tramway while I was in Weymouth last month, and found the area around the station site at the harbour fenced off, with a lot of equipment present - I did wonder if that was perhaps the beginning of the end.

I have seen about that - I think those works are on the old terminal and not related to the pway removal

You would need a reasonable depth of tarmac to avoid it breaking up under the weight of lorries (this was often a problem where old level crossings were lightly tarmaced over). Providing a decent depth of tarmac would probably need a considerable area of adjacent road to be raised to match, which along the length of the tramway might cost even more than doing the job properly.

A few years back, some roadworks in Derby city centre revealed some old tram tracks. I was surprised at how far below the current road level they were - about a foot or more if I remember correctly.

Agreed - I was going to say similar. I can't think of examples off hand but I'm sure I have seen/heard of areas where old tracks have been shallow buried and over a period of time the track has moved or water has got in and then you're left with a bigger problem!

duffield

Established Member
I'd love to have travelled on this!

A colleague of mine grew up in Weymouth and said it was absolute chaos trying to get the train through because of parked cars. She also mentioned an unpleasant issue where passengers onboard the train were flushing toilets which would empty directly onto the road...

Never thought about the toilet issue when I travelled on it; but I hope I would have thought 'maybe not on the road section' if I'd wanted to go...

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Were parked cars always such a problem? Or was it just towards the end when services were less frequent?

I watched, and photographed the running of the train back in 1984, when the train rain daily (if not twice daily). Much more recently I walked the route.

It's a shame to see it go, as a rarity, like the roadside tracks in Trafford Park. But if there is no use at present, and no realistic prospect of traffic returning, then it needs dealing with rather than forgetting about.

Has it been formally closed?

Chester1

Established Member
By those asking how it is a hazard - one section of the line runs down a main road and as I recall, vehicles travelling down the road end up running on it. When wet it gets slippery and I recall at least one major accident being attributed to it. Unlike tramways, which have shallower and narrower grooves, the Tramway has 'proper' railway grade track so the groove is both wider and deeper. Unlike level crossings where the track is crossed perpendicularly, bikes would run parallel to the tracks and cyclists are prone to losing their wheel down the gap, as I understand!

If it was a tram track and less traffic used the roads then keeping a short section along the quay with some info boards would be a nice historic feature. However, I agree with your assessment that it needs to be lifted.

I think the stub, pre the level crossing, has been used recently for stabling a train. I may be wrong, however (and I don't think it is electrified which limits its use currently)

Network Rail might as well keep the section upto King Street, its of no commercial value and could be useful for stabling in future. I am surprised the whole area around the station has not been redeveloped. B&Q, Halfords etc seem a bit low value for a good location that could support much denser development.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I am surprised the whole area around the station has not been redeveloped. B&Q, Halfords etc seem a bit low value for a good location that could support much denser development.
I'd be surprised if some sort of development has not lead this whole idea. You can bet that once the station area has been cleared some luxury flats or similar will not be far away!

dgl

Established Member
I'd be surprised if some sort of development has not lead this whole idea. You can bet that once the station area has been cleared some luxury flats or similar will not be far away!
Slight problem being that the area around the station has it's problems and I doubt any of the shops in jubilee sidings would want to move.

randyrippley

Established Member
That's why I asked whether it was a necessary removal. Does seem an excessive amount to spend on the removal of tracks that people seem to have coped with for many years when the network is crying out for new tracks to be laid all over the country

there was speculation a few years back that the buried wooden sleepers were rotten and would need replacement if the track were to be reused. That means digging out the road tarmac and essentially rebuilding the complete road

jfollows

Established Member
Were parked cars always such a problem? Or was it just towards the end when services were less frequent?
Parked cars were certainly a problem when I travelled over the line in the late 1970s, slightly before your observation time I guess.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Do you mean the “quay station” area? Doubt any sensible planning system would allow building flats there...

Then of course there’s no evidence for redevelopment alongside the section that’s still in use.

randyrippley

Established Member

There was a problem back in the 1960s, but not so bad - simply because there were fewer cars around, and in the main people were more attuned to the needs of the railway. Also trains back then were more frequent: daily boat train, regular fuel oil trains for the ships, seasonal tomato and potato trains. The latter were often parked alongside the wharf - in the road - and so highly visible.
Back then trains along the quay were expected to happen, by the time of closure they weren't

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Do you mean the “quay station” area? Doubt any sensible planning system would allow building flats there...

Then of course there’s no evidence for redevelopment alongside the section that’s still in use.
Sorry I did mean Quay station. Well perhaps not flats but something glitzy will appear. I doubt it'll be B&M bargains :D

Crossover

Established Member
there was speculation a few years back that the buried wooden sleepers were rotten and would need replacement if the track were to be reused. That means digging out the road tarmac and essentially rebuilding the complete road

Yes, I have heard of similar. I expect that the line would need substantial money spent on it just to safely run a train on it again. I would expect the risk of track spread or similar is fairly significant if the unseen infrastructure has degenerated

alistairlees

Established Member
There was a problem back in the 1960s, but not so bad - simply because there were fewer cars around, and in the main people were more attuned to the needs of the railway. Also trains back then were more frequent: daily boat train, regular fuel oil trains for the ships, seasonal tomato and potato trains. The latter were often parked alongside the wharf - in the road - and so highly visible.
Back then trains along the quay were expected to happen, by the time of closure they weren't
Cars were much smaller and lighter then too. It was fairly easy to shove them out of the way. So even if they were in the way, fairly easy to deal with.

randyrippley

Established Member
Sorry I did mean Quay station. Well perhaps not flats but something glitzy will appear. I doubt it'll be B&M bargains :D

Last time I was in Weymouth (a few years ago) the papers were discussing plans to redevelop the whole Pavilion area next to the Quay station as part of a new entertainment complex, new linkspan and new terminal building for larger ferrys

furnessvale

Established Member
Cars were much smaller and lighter then too. It was fairly easy to shove them out of the way. So even if they were in the way, fairly easy to deal with.
Much easier with an Innsbruck tram in the mid 1960s.

The driver just buffered up to an errant brand new Merc obstructing the tracks and with a squeal, shoved it out of the way and carried on.

SteveP29

I walked the length of the tramway while I was in Weymouth last month, and found the area around the station site at the harbour fenced off, with a lot of equipment present - I did wonder if that was perhaps the beginning of the end.

I can honestly say that there really is no practical use for this. It mixes in with fairly heavy traffic, doesn't go anywhere near the beach, and much of it goes past some fairly grim scenery, just in between buildings. The ferries have gone, and even if they hadn't, budget airlines have destroyed the market for foot passengers, so most ferry traffic is vehicle-based these days.

It was fascinating while it survived, but there's no feasible use for it, and the whole thing is bit of a liability. Its past use has been very well documented, and it's hardly a "crime" to move on. Weymouth needs a bit of sprucing up, to be honest, and removing a hazardous liability is probably a good place to start.

Last time I was in Weymouth (a few years ago) the papers were discussing plans to redevelop the whole Pavilion area next to the Quay station as part of a new entertainment complex, new linkspan and new terminal building for larger ferrys

Speaking to family down there and to the owners of the guest house we've stayed in the last 2 summers, they tell us that the Jurassic Tower is coming down, the pier authority buildings next to it and the ferry terminal are also being demolished, the area is to be redeveloped with a view to a hotel being built there, apparently talk was that it'd be a 4 star, then it got downgraded to 3, then downgraded again to a Premier Inn.
When all comes to all, the buildings will be demolished and the land will lie dormant and fenced off for the forseeable future as the council and various interested parties won't be able to decide on what to do with it.

Thanks for that! I've got a Video125 drivers eye view DVD from Weymouth to Waterloo and it's got bonus footage of the Weymouth Tramway and there's similar footage of cars being manhandled out of the way of a Class 73.

I have that too, a great watch.

GLC

Yep! I saw this happen once in the 90s and it was an epically silly piece of street theatre. If you're one of the few who've not seen this video from Bogglesham on YouTube then you're in for a treat.

Something that will (thankfully for the town of Weymouth) never be repeated :lol:

what a fantastic video! Can’t believe services lasted as long as they did on such a route

OuterDistant

30th December 1989: staying in Weymouth with relatives for New Year, we were getting out of our car in town when people on the adjacent road started pointing at something and taking pictures. Walking over, we were then confronted with the sight of 33117 and a couple of TCs going down the street. Pretty exciting stuff for a 9 year old from the Midlands!

Dad humored me and we returned later on for a trip on the 16.00 run, by which time 73104 had taken over. I'd been trawling the web for photos of the Quay branch recently, having remembered it was 30 years ago, and was pleased to find some shots from the same day.

A bit sad to think hear about the rails been taken up, but there's no real alternative I suppose.

urbophile

Established Member
AIUI buried 1st-generation tram tracks have caused loads of issues and continue to do so, so I imagine it would be discouraged by any civil engineers.
They have just dug up the road outside our church to reveal long-buried tramlines. I don't see much evidence that they intend to remove them, but I will look more carefully. I suspect they will just cover them over again.

Speed43125

Much easier with an Innsbruck tram in the mid 1960s.

The driver just buffered up to an errant brand new Merc obstructing the tracks and with a squeal, shoved it out of the way and carried on.
Ah yes, I've heard many a tale of soviet tram drivers being especially rough with cars blocking the tramlines.... Why can't we all just have old Tatras? why do we have shiny CAF stuff that we can't scratch up! :D

nlogax

Established Member
Speaking to family down there and to the owners of the guest house we've stayed in the last 2 summers, they tell us that the Jurassic Tower is coming down, the pier authority buildings next to it and the ferry terminal are also being demolished, the area is to be redeveloped with a view to a hotel being built there, apparently talk was that it'd be a 4 star, then it got downgraded to 3, then downgraded again to a Premier Inn.

Missed this yesterday. That's great info, good to know the Jurassic Tower is going. It had an unintentional 'cameo' in the background of Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk movie..WW2 harbour shenanigans going on in the foreground, tourists gawping out from the top of the tower as it rotated in the background. Surreal thing to witness in IMAX and I don't know how that bit survived the edit.

Back on topic. The 1994 video I linked to up-thread was actually shot by the famous Fred Ivey. Should have clarified that earlier..sorry.

dgl

Established Member
When all comes to all, the buildings will be demolished and the land will lie dormant and fenced off for the forseeable future as the council and various interested parties won't be able to decide on what to do with it.

It's pretty much all down now, just the old terminal building remains plus a couple of warehouses that are still in use.

As for what they want to do with the area, the original developers went bust and with condor now gone it was decided to get rid of all the old knackered buildings and try to start afresh. Hopefully when something is done about the area it's something that actually is good for Weymouth, not just a load of overpriced flats but something that makes you want to go to the pier area.

Unfortunately at the moment the chance of getting ferries back is non-existent, mainly due to "do nothing drax", as when there was money that could be bid for did Weymouth see any of it, no Poole got it all even though Weymouth needs money more than Poole does. Richard Drax didn't even try to get any money, something that could have gone
If we had an MP that actually lived in the area and saw what the problems are then we might get somewhere, we had that when Jim Knight ran the joint but for some unknown reason despite all the good he did got voted out.

theironroad

Established Member
Now the quay line that connects from the current mainline will be terminally redundant (it's been out of use for ages,), maybe the funding could be found to get a turntable installed for steam heritage charters to be turned.

Status
Not open for further replies.