• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Engine shed near Partick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bittern

Established Member
My mother was telling me that during her childhood there was an engine shed or yard of some kind in the Partick area. She described memories of tank engines being present and that coal was often present (no doubt to power these tank engines). My first thought was that this was near Hyndland as this was a mini-hub for railway activity, but Google searches turn up little evidence of a shed in either area. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Moog_1984

Yes, that's not what I'm talking about.

That's right : hynland EMU shed was one of the purpose built EMU sheds which was actually on an old branch line (tunnel mouth at the end of the shed)

While on the other side of the rails just towards Partick, there was a 19th C red brick engine shed used for track maintainance. Now a boots etc on Crow Road.

BR was at one point western europes BIGGEST real estate owner and it was a total scam that they squandered away all the sales income on dividends and half hearted infrastructural renewal, just for it to all go tits up in private hands anyway!

Bittern

Established Member
Dawsholm's in Maryhill, not Partick. Believe me, this was not anywhere near Maryhill.

caliwag

OK...sounds like Stobcross, subshed of Dawsholm. My 1951 shedcode book indicates its existence, but Fuller's shed directory of 1960 makes no mention, so closure between those dates. It was on on NB lines between Partick and Charing Cross, North side of line, so that would seem to make it adjacent to Yorkhill Park, close to Queen's Dock. The attached suggest demolition in 1989.

The Map ref is right but the Google map is complete tosh.

I have a 50s 5" to the mile (odd I know, paper size?) of Glasgow that shows extensive sidings to the North of the docks.

http://www.steamsheds.co.uk/pmwiki/index.php?n=Sheds.GLASGOW-STOBCROSS

caliwag

Is that the best you can say after 30 mins research? I like a challenge but Jeez I expected a bit of feedback. I'll not bother next time...bah!

Bittern

Established Member
Good. Maybe instead you could use the time to mature your attitude a bit. ;)

caliwag

HaHa...good luck with your queries fella...I wont bother though in future. Best of luck...Jim:D

Moog_1984

No where near Stobcross. It was beside Norval street on Crow Road.

I don't remember it having a turn table so it may not been ever classified a loco shed.

Since the early 1970s it was used for diverse maintenance trains (including rewiring and ballast trains) . Have that on the good authority of my own eyes.

caliwag

Ha...curiosity/cats etc

I suppose this depends whether you were with Mrs Bittern at the time (no disrespect of course!) and indeed roughly how old she is.

Stobcross was indeed a sub shed of Dawsholm (closed early 50s?) so NB and I assume served the docks. Probably didn't have a turntable either being pugs no doubt. (N15s I notice)

The Caley line seems to have gone (served Partick Central). Indeed that 50s map I mentioned indicates sidings off Norval Street (near the old location of Partick, which has moved), so you may well be right. It really depends which part of Partick she noticed the locos and coal I guess...don't suppose she took any numbers!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well I got that wrong...Dawsholm was a Caley shed...though did have NB engines...so pugs nonetheless. I am even more confused now as the docks line (Yorkhill Quays and Queens Dock) appear to be on an NB line. Can you clarify Moog?

Moog_1984

On an astronomical scale, Stobs Cross was not far away, but is the place you desrcibe no dount east of Partick station(s) Both stob cross itself and the depot were long gone before my time !

It was sidings, probably no turntable, but with a dirty great 19th c/ early 20th C brick building.

After the war at least, there were some push pull steam services in the west glasgow area, so maybe the shed found use for that having been one of the smaller Caledonian railway's servicing depots.

I think I may have a sketchy picture of a 26 in the sidings, 110 film, through a 303 window, c 1979 but it would take the next 30 years to find it....

Ha...curiosity/cats etc

I suppose this depends whether you were with Mrs Bittern at the time (no disrespect of course!) and indeed roughly how old she is.

Stobcross was indeed a sub shed of Dawsholm (closed early 50s?) so NB and I assume served the docks. Probably didn't have a turntable either being pugs no doubt. (N15s I notice)

The Caley line seems to have gone (served Partick Central). Indeed that 50s map I mentioned indicates sidings off Norval Street (near the old location of Partick, which has moved), so you may well be right. It really depends which part of Partick she noticed the locos and coal I guess...don't suppose she took any numbers!!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well I got that wrong...Dawsholm was a Caley shed...though did have NB engines...so pugs nonetheless. I am even more confused now as the docks line (Yorkhill Quays and Queens Dock) appear to be on an NB line. Can you clarify Moog?

Status
Not open for further replies.