• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

enginemans fund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groggy

Hi

I have a couple of these running but i was considering taking another out.
Any advice on wether i should or not?

cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andrewh32

Hi

I have a couple of these running but i was considering taking another out.
Any advice on wether i should or not?

cheers

I would strongly recommend you see an IFA before committing yourself to one of these to see if it is the best product for your circumstances.

We all know that in life different products work for different people. I'm not for or against these just a case of what works best for you.

greatkingrat

Established Member
The only real advantage is that the money comes straight off your payslip, so there is no temptation to spend it. There is also life insurance included, but most railway staff will already be covered via the pension scheme anyway. Because of the very high charges you will almost certainly end up with a better return by just putting the same amount into an ISA.

Last edited:

Groggy

The only real advantage is that the money comes straight off your payslip, so there is no temptation to spend it. There is also life insurance included, but most railway staff will already be covered via the pension scheme anyway. In most cases you will end up with a better return by putting the same amount into an ISA.
yeah money straight from off payslip is a pro as you certainly dont miss it im just not to sure of the returns

cf111

Established Member
And I thought the Unions were meant to be looking after their members best interests !
My (non-railway) union are almost constantly trying to sell us stuff, financial products included like pre-paid cards and insurance policies. I do pay into their credit union but that's about it.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I put £5 a week in as it's tax free, so I'll get it back in a few years without paying tax, just in time for a new bathroom or kitchen.

Beano123

Pros
Cheap PTS Insurance
Cheap Life insurance
Easy method of saving

Cons
Opaque Returns - hard to work out a percentage

Status
Not open for further replies.