• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Entry to working on the rails as a technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

j-devs94

Hi,

Hope everyones is well in advance.

I am looking to start a career working on the rails.

I have noticed a Rail Engineering Level 2 apprenticeship.

Would this suffice in getting my foot into the door in the rail industry?

I have a friend who stated he completed a Level 2 Rail engineering and he was able to work on the rails as soon as he finished.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jlob2804

According to my mate who works there Bombardier/Alston used to recruit level 2 maintenance assistants on 38k but recently stopped. Not sure about others or Network rail though, it's worth applying, it's an industry for life. If the college is good they'll post industry insights and jobs up for level 2s to apply.

CJK64

Hi,

Hope everyones is well in advance.

I am looking to start a career working on the rails.

I have noticed a Rail Engineering Level 2 apprenticeship.

Would this suffice in getting my foot into the door in the rail industry?

I have a friend who stated he completed a Level 2 Rail engineering and he was able to work on the rails as soon as he finished.

Any advice would be appreciated!
I’m only aware of a level 3 engineering apprenticeship with Network Rail. The only level 2 that I’m aware of is for operations, which generally would be aimed at signallers.
I can’t really comment on any apprenticeships outside of Network Rail, and have never known anyone to apply for a job with any such qualification.

The level 3 engineering apprenticeship is a fantastic scheme with more than a foot in the door. As long as you pass your apprenticeship you enter as a highly skilled technician, With opportunities a plenty. I know of apprentices that have gone on to become project engineers, asset engineers etc etc.

Network rail invest large amounts of money into the apprenticeship scheme as this is very much the future.

Last edited:

Railworker101

This sounds similar to the course I did with Trackwork in 2010.

It'll get you work on the pway to an extent, it'll most probably be agency work though. Be prepared to only do one or two shifts a week whilst you're new to it! I had a good few years work out of it, starting off as agency and taking every bit of work I could, eventually getting set on the books full by a company. It depends what work you're looking for really and how much you're willing to apply yourself.

I eventually left that side of the railway and went on to shunting. I dare say that the apprenticeship and the experience I had helped me get that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.