• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ERTMS screen readabilty report on BBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

daikilo

Established Member
I trust that this report is crap. If not, it is gross incompetency.
1) the route is fixed and the sun-movement has been known for decades
2) their are various screen technologies available as are screen directional shades.
How can anyone allow the BBC publish such comment?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
They picked it up from last weeks Rail, the ORR is demanding answers to why the testing schedules been suspended and the problems are believed to be lack of space in the 158's to install the equipment, lack of spare electrical power to run the equipment, and glare from the incab equipment reflecting in their eyes. Network Rail spokeman Mavis Choong confirmed the glare problem to Rail but refused to comment on the fact the line side equipment is not currently switched on, the system was meant to have gone live in Dec 2008.

starrymarkb

Established Member
2) their are various screen technologies available as are screen directional shades.

Its an AnsaldoBreda project - they are not known for their competency (See Boston Trams, Midland Metro, Dutch V250 and Danish IC4)

Wonder if they were chosen knowing they will cock up and therefore kill ETCS in the UK...

j0hn0

Its an AnsaldoBreda project - they are not known for their competency (See Boston Trams, Midland Metro, Dutch V250 and Danish IC4)

Wonder if they were chosen knowing they will cock up and therefore kill ETCS in the UK...

really, its an Ansaldobreda project?

news to me but if so, screwed

j0hn0

:D ok yep, screwed.

How is an Ansaldobreda signalling system becoming the EU standard? HOW?!!

Is there any alternative? What do LGV's currently use?

In cab signalling of course but do we really need this ERTMS?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Calm down! There's plenty of companies providing ERTMS systems. I think part of the idea is that on-board equipment from one provider should be able to work with another's lineside equipment- it is a proper standard. Involvement, beyond our HS lines, isn't so important for the UK- it is of more concern to continental Europe. More here.
LGVs, including HS1, use TVM, with the latest being the 80's developed TVM 430.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
There's lots of existing systems- hence the ERTMS/ETCS concept, to unify signalling systems especially for international high-speed services (but hence requiring resignalling of "classic" lines for services to beyond the HS systems). Not uncommen for international trains to carry cab equipment for four different signal systems, requiring drivers to be conversant in all the different standards.

brianthegiant

does this mean the long awaited shrewsbury -aberystwyth hourly service is now not possible? last time I looked the extended passing loop westwards from welshpool was nearly finished, but I'm not clear if ERTMS was also a formal prerequisite for the hourly service?

The Planner

Veteran Member
The hourly needs ERTMS to work yes as RETB is ending its useful life and wouldnt allow an hourly service to run. ERTMS will get switched on and the hourly can be brought in, simple as.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Glanced at rail yesterday,it says the ERTMS on the line is £30M over the budget of £59M. ORR has at last started to ask questions after complaints from the
All Welsh Franchise. About time this shambles was sorted, now two years late, as Planner says when it is switched on it will work, but no one at NR knows when

Last edited:

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
September October more than likely. It will have to be this year or someone will be catching 1P45 i would have thought.

In a debate The(WAG) Minister for WalesRail, informed the AM for Aber, she is also Minister for Rural Affairs, that the hourly service would commence 2011 timetables, as the WAG Assembley elections are in May 2011 these two Plaid Ministers will have egg on there faces if its not up & running very soon, Network Rails excuses for delay appear to be running out, now the ORR/Media/Politicians/Travelling public are asking deep questions. See page nine pic of screen in a class 97 http://sarpa.info/pdf archive/sarpa50.pdf, sorry I can not get image separate. note the 60 watt light bulb box,
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Good write up about it here
http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nwnews.htm Sorry you will have to scroll down the
web page to find it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.