• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Escaping the evening peak by breaking a connecting ticket? (theoretical only!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewkeith5

Hi all,

A few days ago, a friend of mine was complaining about the London Midland evening peak restrictions. On closer inspection of her ticket (Dudley Port > Birmingham New St Off Peak Day Ret, it looks like they're using restriction code GM:

Code:
Return Journey: 
By any train except not valid
on any train departing between
1635 and 1800 inc. from:
Birmingham New Street
Birmingham Snow Hill
Birmingham Moor Street
Five Ways
Jewellery Quarter

The afternoon/evening restriction does not apply if passengers hold tickets for
through journeys i.e._if a change of train is required at one of the five stations listed to complete their journey.

Now, what interested me was that last sentence - that is, the evening restriction doesn't apply if a change of journey is required - which suggests that the LM evening peak restrictions don't apply if you're using LM as a connecting service.

By way of investigation, I tried a Dudley Port to Birmingham International Off Peak Day Ret (which is cheaper than the Anytime return to New Street) - which doesn't seem to have any evening/return journey restrictions.

So, based on this and the fact that break of journey seems to be allowed on the Birmingham International ticket - would it be (theoretically!) OK to buy the cheaper off peak return to International, break the journey at New Street but not complete the journey - hence effectively making a return journey to New Street...?

Morally it's wrong I suppose (and if you get a human ticket gate a new street that actually cares (a rarity in my experience) you'll probably have a hell of a time explaining what a break of journey is), but is it technically/legally wrong? I can't think why it would be - is there a clause that says you must complete your journey if you start it!?

Look forward to the discussion!

Andrew

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Welcome to the forum.

Are you simply asking:

Is an Off Peak Return (CDR) from Dudley Port to Birmingham International valid by any train except those timed to depart before 0930, and is this ticket valid for travel from Dudley Port to Birmingham New Street?

The answer to that question is simply: Yes.

telstarbox

Established Member
Nothing morally wrong about it if the "unrestricted" ticket is being used correctly in terms of BoJ.

Peak validity is determined by the restriction code - there isn't a blanket off-peak time despite what some staff think.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Morally it's wrong I suppose (and if you get a human ticket gate a new street that actually cares (a rarity in my experience) you'll probably have a hell of a time explaining what a break of journey is), but is it technically/legally wrong? I can't think why it would be - is there a clause that says you must complete your journey if you start it!?

Look forward to the discussion!

Andrew

Not in my experience. Simply saying 'I am breaking my journey' or 'I am resuming a break of journey' will not result in the bat of an eyelid, never mind a confrontation.

greatkingrat

Established Member
There is no evening peak restriction on a Dudley Port - Duddeston CDR either which is only £3.90.

sheff1

Established Member
By way of investigation, I tried a Dudley Port to Birmingham International Off Peak Day Ret (which is cheaper than the Anytime return to New Street)

Where are you getting that from ? London Midland site shows it as 10p dearer.

island

Veteran Member
Not in my experience. Simply saying 'I am breaking my journey' or 'I am resuming a break of journey' will not result in the bat of an eyelid, never mind a confrontation.

The Birmingham New Street gateline is not well known for being diligent about which tickets are passed.

andrewkeith5

Thanks to you all for your advice :) seems like something that may actually be worth doing!

Special thanks to sheff1 for kindly pointing out that accountancy is not a career for me, and to greatkingrat for pointing out an even better option than the one I selected as an example!

Indeed the gateline staff are employed by London Midland and don't seem to get much job satisfaction, but it seems on the day my friend brought up the LM Peak restrictions there was a particularly diligent member of staff on duty!

To clarify some of the other comments, an Oyster card would NOT be valid in Birmingham New Street under any arrangement Chiltern Railways offer, unless a Chiltern train were diverted there. The only time an Oyster is valid on a Chiltern service to B'Ham Moor Street / Snow Hill would be at weekends if the card held a monthly or longer season ticket worth £150 a month or £1,500 a year or more (purchased from a Chiltern-managed station for travel into London Marylebone), in which case Chiltern offer free weekend travel across their network provided the Oyster is accompanied by the paper equivalent. A gold card is not necessary.

island

Veteran Member
The only time an Oyster is valid on a Chiltern service to B'Ham Moor Street / Snow Hill would be at weekends if the card held a monthly or longer season ticket worth £150 a month or £1,500 a year or more (purchased from a Chiltern-managed station for travel into London Marylebone), in which case Chiltern offer free weekend travel across their network provided the Oyster is accompanied by the paper equivalent. A gold card is not necessary.

What's "the paper equivalent"?

andrewkeith5

What's "the paper equivalent"?

Probably not the same terminology as Chiltern use, but when they sell a season ticket on an Oyster they issue a paper copy/receipt type thing which you must carry with you if you are making use of their free weekend travel offer, as the guards wouldn't be carrying Oyster readers on the north-of-Banbury routes, and certainly the station staff wouldn't be able to verify your eligibility to travel.

Goatboy

Established Member
You can show a Cheap Day Return from 1993 and get through the New Street Gateline I'd imagine. Quite what its purpose is I've no idea :D

andrewkeith5

You can show a Cheap Day Return from 1993 and get through the New Street Gateline I'd imagine. Quite what its purpose is I've no idea :D

Not something I'd recommend but probably entirely possible - alternatively try in the evening or weekend and you can normally stroll straight through as they're only part time staffed!

At least until 2015....when electronics take over again....I still can't decide if our over-reliance on ticket gates is good or bad, but I'm going with bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.