• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

etickets - 2 passengers, only 1 smartphone, no access to printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

aye2beeviasea

Hello, I want to travel with a relative who doesn't have a smartphone and we have no access to a printer. If I buy the tickets as etickets is there any reason why I can't just show my phone twice at the barrier?

We'll be making the journery between Manchester and Liverpool so probably Northern but not neccessarily, and using the Northern app to buy.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Scan one, pass the phone back over the barrier, the other person scans the other. Staff might question it but when you show them two PDFs they will be fine with it.

BenS123

Either that or scan one ticket and stand aside and let the person you're with go through, then scan yours and go through :D
Staff won't generally question it as they know that if you're trying to use the same PDF for both the gate would reject it the 2nd time. If you're doing the method above though try to make sure the gate at least starts closing before you scan yours to make it clear the gate has accepted it the second time.

Edit: or some stations you can just show the staff member both tickets on your phone and they'll open a gate for you to go through

Last edited:

zero

I've seen a group of 6 or maybe more show all their tickets on one phone on a train.

Veteran Member
Having done this a few days ago:
Scan one ticket for your relative, swipe to the next (on the App) and use it to let yourself through - easier than passing the phone back! Same using the PDF but slightly slower.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
That’ll be fine, as I have to do this when travelling with my kids: scan them through, then scan me through.

RPI

Established Member
As someone who works at gatelines, please please scan the one ticket, let the other person through, then scan yourself out.

The amount of times I've seen passed back phones hit the deck or the first person scan then walk off.....

:D

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As someone who works at gatelines, please please scan the one ticket, let the other person through, then scan yourself out.

The amount of times I've seen passed back phones hit the deck or the first person scan then walk off.....

:D

Not quite sure why I didn't think of that!

Status
Not open for further replies.