• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EU to corral pax onto H-S lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pablo

According to AOPA:
Commission debates ban on short flights
Driven by the green lobby, DGMov is discussing the possibility of an EU-wide ban on all flights of between 100 and 300 miles, in favour of high-speed trains.
What do you make of that?:o

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FGWman

According to AOPA:
Commission debates ban on short flights
Driven by the green lobby, DGMov is discussing the possibility of an EU-wide ban on all flights of between 100 and 300 miles, in favour of high-speed trains.
What do you make of that?:o

I guess this would only apply if the train option existed. Penzance to the Isle of Scilly for example would not be possible by train.

Squaddie

AOPA (which is a political organisation that exists to promote aviation) is misrepresenting the issue.

The European Union has stated its aspiration to phase out short-haul flights in favour of high-speed rail by 2050. It is only an aspiration, and will depend upon the construction of suitable rail lines. They have given as examples the high-speed routes between Madrid and Barcelona, and between London and Paris, where rail has captured over half the market.

route:oxford

Established Member
Does this mean that the EU will fund HS2* linking Glasgow & Dublin

or

HS3 linking Holyhead & Dublin?

Zoe

Established Member
At the end of the day, air travel like car travel is simply not sustainable in the long term. Once high speed rail is available then there is no reason at all for many flights.

Zoe

Established Member
Whatever happened to consumer choice
There's no choice in it though as CO2 emissions have to be reduced. There also is not going to be any choice when the oil runs out is there? Best to act now.

Minilad

Established Member
There's no choice in it though as CO2 emissions have to be reduced. There also is not going to be any choice when the oil runs out is there? Best to act now.

That is of course if you actually think CO2 has to be reduced, and Oil is running out any time soon

starrymarkb

Established Member
At the end of the day, air travel like car travel is simply not sustainable in the long term. Once high speed rail is available then there is no reason at all for many flights.

but first you have to make HSR available. Could it replace all domestic flights in the UK or just some key corridors?

It seems the airline industry is moving towards more efficient and less polluting aircraft. Witness the 1000 A320neo's sold at Paris. Burning less fuel means less emmissons

amcluesent

Typical control freakery by the EU elte who want to interfere in every aspect of our lives. The sooner we get out the better!

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Oh crikey :(... those who are anti-EU might wish to have a very brief flick through this thread. One of the themes that emerged was that those who were particularly anti-EU were not completely ...conversant with the evidence. Check out the EU myths links.

That said, some of the policy ideas that emerge from Europe can be interesting, and this feels like something that probably won't last well.

Squaddie

Typical control freakery by the EU elte who want to interfere in every aspect of our lives. The sooner we get out the better!
Why is it "control freakery" to suggest that we might reduce airport congestion and CO2 emissions by building more high-speed railways across the continent?

It seems like a perfectly reasonable suggestion to me.

pablo

AOPA is an international apolitical organisation dedicated, inter alia, to opposing political meddling by the practically ignorant. It does support its user group.

Perhaps rail could do with a similar organisation? Greengauge21 comes to mind as the nearest equivalent in the Land of Uk but that's a rather parochial organisation. Might have attenuated the McNullty nonesense? And, HS2 might not have emerged in its current format.

BTW, how is AOPA misrepresenting the issue?

Last edited:
Does this mean that the EU will fund HS2* linking Glasgow & Dublin

or

HS3 linking Holyhead & Dublin?

HS3 Linking Dublin, would that not be "HS Tree"

I'm sure if they blew up all the mountains in the area they could build a big causway.

I do remember reading in a paper once that they were planning building an elevated above the sea bed tunnel between Holyhead and Ireland. Don't know if the paper was dated April 1st though.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
The EU seems to be forgetting that a lot of people flying domestically do so because they are connecting into or out of a long haul flight elsewhere. I am sure that passengers getting off a 24 hour flight from Australia at 6am will be pleased to know they will have to transfer to Euston to complete their journey to Manchester rather than simply crossing a terminal and getting a shuttle flight on BA.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The word "pax" is used in the title of this thread. The word in Latin means "peace".

There seems very little "peace" when such matters are discussed on forums.

When did the word "pax", meaning passengers, come into common useage and is this yet another example of the English language being misused?

route:oxford

Established Member
I am sure that passengers getting off a 24 hour flight from Australia at 6am will be pleased to know they will have to transfer to Euston to complete their journey to Manchester rather than simply crossing a terminal and getting a shuttle flight on BA.

Once the GW mainline is electrified (as far as Coventry)...

I'd far rather if BA bid for part of the XC service and operated an hourly shuttle between Heathrow and Manchester Pic (via Birmingham Intl & Manchester Airport).

A 9 car 125mph capable EMU...

Four luggage friendly coaches exclusively for One World ticket holders and first class passengers, the remaining 5 coaches for standard class passengers.

Now, I know that 9 cars sounds a lot... But would point out that there are 2 express coaches running every hour from Oxford to Heathrow & the same from Reading - so I'm not entirely sure if it would be enough!

But back to the main topic...

HS is important and I do look forward to the day when I can jump on HS1 in Edinburgh and reach the HS2 station in Brum 2 hours later for my local connection to Oxford.

Perhaps more important though is that the largest mainland freight stock should be able to travel all the way from Bulgaria to Inverness and remain in guage.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It's a universally used abbreviation in avaition didn't you know? Would you like SLF instead?

Your clarification is now understood, but I have never come across it previously. Saying that, the last time that I flew was in 1987 to Rome, so I am not conversant with aviation terms. Knowing the phoenetic alphabet is the limit of my expertise in such matters. That is why I leave matters outside my knowledge base to people who have the expertise to give answers to my questions. I did ask when this terminology came into common useage, but you did not answer this point.

Last edited:

starrymarkb

Established Member
Once the GW mainline is electrified (as far as Coventry)...

I'd far rather if BA bid for part of the XC service and operated an hourly shuttle between Heathrow and Manchester Pic (via Birmingham Intl & Manchester Airport).

A 9 car 125mph capable EMU...

Four luggage friendly coaches exclusively for One World ticket holders and first class passengers, the remaining 5 coaches for standard class passengers.

Now, I know that 9 cars sounds a lot... But would point out that there are 2 express coaches running every hour from Oxford to Heathrow & the same from Reading - so I'm not entirely sure if it would be enough!

BA won't be that interested in regional/connecting traffic, the Dutch National Airline KLM serves almost twice as many UK airports then BA.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It's a universally used abbreviation in avaition didn't you know?

Further to my last posting, noting the two consecutive words corral pax in your thread title, I entered these two words into my search engine.

The only exact item to come up was a picture of a long narrow high-fenced pathway, with red and white painted stone base blocks, leading to what looks like a building in the far distance that resembles an American penitentiary. There are some notes near the picture saying it is Dublin airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.