• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Europe journey Paris - Munich - Vienna - Budapest - Prague

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi, were planning a European rail holiday this summer, any advice much appreciated. It is for 3 people, 2 adults and 1 15yr old.
The journey comprises of several trips..
Paris to Munich 26/7
Munich to Vienna 29/7
Vienna to Budapest 1/8
Budapest to Prague 3/8
Now I know I could buy an interail pass, for certain amount of journeys but can’t find prices on the site, has anyone an idea of price please.
Read from seat61 man that at times purchasing separate tickets is cheaper though. Would all these tickets be available in time on The Trainline or would advice be to use the DB German site.
Thankyou for any replies.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CC 72100

Established Member
For the last journey, I'd recommend using the Czech Republic national railway site, Ceske Drahy.

I'd always use them for any journeys starting or ending in CZ as they can offer the best prices that other sites can't.

StephenHunter

Established Member
Interrail passes are on a per day basis. You'd need at least 4 days and ideally more. Definitely worth it, especially with the savings on IC/ICE in particular. Also allows you to use them for local journeys.

XAM2175

Established Member
Interrail is a good shout, but should you not go with it I'd definitely recommend you book Paris to Munich and Munich to Vienna with DB.
For Vienna to Budapest I'd suggest checking both ÖBB and MÁV and deciding based on the results, and the same between ČD and MÁV between Budapest and Prague - as I recall in the past MÁV also had some lower fares that they would only offer to their own customers.

StephenHunter

Established Member
Interrail is a good shout, but should you not go with it I'd definitely recommend you book Paris to Munich and Munich to Vienna with DB.
For Vienna to Budapest I'd suggest checking both ÖBB and MÁV and deciding based on the results, and the same between ČD and MÁV between Budapest and Prague - as I recall in the past MÁV also had some lower fares that they would only offer to their own customers.
Paris to Munich has a Nightjet service, but the 5am arrival time in the latter might not be your cup of tea.

biko

Now I know I could buy an interail pass, for certain amount of journeys but can’t find prices on the site, has anyone an idea of price please.
Interrail currently costs £205 for 4 days in 2nd class for adults (assuming they are under 60) and £154 for the 15 yr old. See https://www.myinterrail.co.uk/interrail-passes/global-pass/ for all prices. Please note that reservations are compulsory on TGV and ICE services between France and Germany and that those are not free. Reservation cost is €13. Reservations on trains within and between Germany, Austria and Hungary are optional, but can be bought for around €4 per trip. I am not sure about the trains between Hungary and the Czech Republic.

Veteran Member
Paris to Munich has a Nightjet service, but the 5am arrival time in the latter might not be your cup of tea.
It's the only leg of the journey I would consider doing by night (go through to Salzburg and come back!), but it also gives you a trip on a high-speed route in France by day.
Testing that leg, it will set you back about £50 (non flexible, 3 months ahead) and will be the most expensive. Assuming you are happy to specify your trains, IR probably isn't worth it.
At that time of year, I would definitely reserve seats on each leg - they are generally NOT included in the fare.

I would check OeBB for Munich-Vienna as well (their fares have slihtly different T and Cs and sometimes beat DB's. Similarly SNCF and DB for Paris-Munich.

You mention Trainline - both it and Raileurope should be able to get you to Budapest but I don't think will offer the last leg. In any case, apart from the hassle of setting up accounts, there's no real advantage in using a 3rd party site, as each leg will be a through ticket.

One OT thought - if you fancy a bit of slow scenic travel instead of the fastest possible route, there are more scenic routes through Germany and Austria that might well cost you very little or nothing more.

Austriantrain

Established Member

For Vienna - Budapest and Budapest - Prague, you might want to check Regiojet’s site as well and compare it to the legacy railways, they often have very good prices.

For Munich - Vienna, you might get cheap combination tickets with WESTbahn, changing at Salzburg.

StephenHunter

Established Member
Railjet is excellent even in 2nd Class; while WESTbahn has a catering offer, you might want something a bit more substantial.

Thankyou so much for replies, I’m a bit of a thicko here, so could 30907 tell me does the IR mean interrail. Also in your opinion it’s probably cheaper to book tickets with DB, OEBB, etc..
For the latter reply regiojet’s and Westbahn are what I’d search for. I only use Avanti, and Transport for Wales. .
One last question please, would tickets for all or some of these journeys be available from 3 months before departure date. 23/7.
Thanks once again

Austriantrain

Established Member
For the latter reply regiojet’s and Westbahn are what I’d search for.
If you are after track bashing, be aware though that Regiojet Budapest- Prague runs via Vienna, so you would double back. MAV/CD Eurocity trains take the line via Bratislava.

Last edited:

StephenHunter

Established Member
Via Petrzalka, yes. The Marchegg route is still diesel, I believe, at least for the time being, and may be of interest.

Austriantrain

Established Member
Via Petrzalka, yes. The Marchegg route is still diesel, I believe, at least for the time being, and may be of interest.

If you mean the EC trains, they don’t run via Petrzalka, but via Szob - Bratislava hl.st. and then to Breclav. Regiojet trains run via Hegyeshalom - Bruck an der Leitha.

The Marchegg line is often closed now for electrification and doubling, so check first if you want to use it.

Last edited:

Alfonso

Hi, were planning a European rail holiday this summer, any advice much appreciated. It is for 3 people, 2 adults and 1 15yr old.
The journey comprises of several trips..
Paris to Munich 26/7
Munich to Vienna 29/7
Vienna to Budapest 1/8
Budapest to Prague 3/8
Read from seat61 man that at times purchasing separate tickets is cheaper though. Would all these tickets be available in time on The Trainline or would advice be to use the DB German site.
Thankyou for any replies.
I'd normally suggest buying individual tickets, especially since your 15 year old will go free on most of them if bought from DB or oebb, not sure about Czech or Hungarian railways. If your dates are flexible I'd also look at changing round the order and taking an overnight train Paris to Vienna or Zurich to Budapest then working back to Munich, but that depends on your travel preference and what's on where when.
However, inter rail gives you lots of flexibility and that might be especially useful if one or more countries imposes COVID related restrictions at short notice. Hopefully this summer travel will be relatively easy but who knows

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Looks like ČD is offering CZK 514 for Budapest-Prague on specific EC trains (CZK 190 for a 15-yo).
That's about £17/£6. (First Minute Europe fare).
It used to be the case that you had to book from Budapest with MAV and pick up the tickets from an ATM there, but it looks like you can book an e-ticket with ČD now.
Note the Prague trains now leave Budapest from Nyugati station rather than Keleti (used by nearly all other long-distance services, including those from Vienna).
You won't be able to book this leg more than 3 months ahead.
Outbound connection | ČD (cd.cz)

Thankyou for that link, LNW-GW JOINT, just checked prices, they are very reasonably priced. Might try first class.. Will definitely be doing a trip, though might tweak it a bit, didn’t realise the distance between our destinations.

Austriantrain

Established Member
Thankyou for that link, LNW-GW JOINT, just checked prices, they are very reasonably priced. Might try first class.. Will definitely be doing a trip, though might tweak it a bit, didn’t realise the distance between our destinations.

I think your original plan is actually quite realistic and will give you enough time to appreciate the main sights in each city - if you are mainly interested in the typical sights, their central parts are not that large (obviously you could spend a week or more in each city and still find enough to do).

Journey-time wise, the only really long trip is Budapest to Prague at 7 hours. Everything else is a half day or less.

Veteran Member
Thankyou so much for replies, I’m a bit of a thicko here, so could 30907 tell me does the IR mean interrail.
Apologies, it does.
Also in your opinion it’s probably cheaper to book tickets with DB, OEBB, etc.
You are sure of getting the best price if you check both, but you may well get them on one of the international sites for the same.
For the latter reply regiojet’s and Westbahn are what I’d search for.
I think you would have to use their own sites.
One last question please, would tickets for all or some of these journeys be available from 3 months before departure date. 23/7.
Yes, that's fairly standard unless a major timetable change is in the offing. SNCF will put summer holiday dates up sooner, DB/OeBB work further in advance. However, check travel times nearer the day, engineering works aren't always allowed for.

Austriantrain

Established Member

Train tickets aren’t bought as far in advance as plane tickets are. You will find a ticket a day ahead easily and if you want the promotional fares, two months before traveling should be plenty.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
You should be able to book your 3 legs from Paris to Budapest by the end of this month or the start of next (6 months ahead of travel).
I'd use:
Cheap Train Tickets | Timetables for Germany & Europe - Deutsche Bahn for Paris-Munich,
and Tickets and Services (oebb.at) for Munich-Vienna and Vienna-Budapest.
Budapest-Prague should be bookable via ČD or MAV 3 months ahead.

Journey planners and tickets for local city transport, if you need it, are at:
Homepage | MVV (mvv-muenchen.de)
Vienna Public Transport - Tickets, timetables and plans (wien.gv.at)
BKK.hu
Passenger | Prague Public Transit Company, joint-stock company (dpp.cz)

Last edited:

Thankyou so much for replies, really helpful. LNW-GW joint, I’m just up the road from you in Penyfford.

dutchflyer

Established Member
Just a short note to promote RegioJet=the yellow trains. On them you can usually travel in ´comfort=ex OeBB 1st cl´ class for around the price that CD/MAV ask for normal advance 2nd cl. PLUS they have a very good catering at very low prices (in fact food is cheaper in comfort cl. as in economy!). Easy to book online and in general they do not even ask for tickets etc on board-they check with their own occupation list. (VIE-PRH is about 10 eur advance for seniors in that class).
With a family and for a small splurge you could even take a whole usiness´ class compartment (4 seats, also ex 1st cl. OeBB).
Tip for Hotels: check also for Meininger and AO ho(s)tels-these are combined hoStel and hotel, with facilities of both. Usually do not appear on booking & etc. Always very close to stations.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I can also recommend the Baross Hotel in Budapest (across the square in front of Keleti pu.).
Also on the metro line M2 and the impressive new M4 at Keleti.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.