• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

European Bahn Stock/Activies Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinness

Established Member
Ahh so EB is one of those companies who don't care about the quality of their products and would rather make a load a money of Trainsimmers.

I personally won't be buying anything made by them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mole259

Metroland said:
Yep but that's freeware using a lot of other people's objects and trains.

The point is EB stuff does sell, while being no fan myself, they have a niche market. Freeware is fine to a point, but it's not marketed and most people probably don't know very much about it. Historically the better freeware people tend to move to payware, because spare time is valuable and software/research /computers are expensive - which might give EB a run for their money - but the point still stands they get away with what they do because there's no other game in town.

I guess as it's been said before if you don't like it don't buy it, if you think you can do better yourself go for it!

Well if progress keeps going at the rate it is at now (behind the scenes) then their will be SWL out soon ;)
[EDIT]
Quote:
If we were to visit and research every location featured along the lines in order to meet the accuracy you insist on, the price of the finished product would be unacceptable to our customers. We are a commercial organisation, and need to reach a balance between production costs and income.

Thats why, with no income at all, E-Rail has made 6 extensive group research trips already

Coxster

Established Member
Liam said:
Thning is Dorset coast is fantastic, yet to try V3, and only costs a mere £4.50!
Yes, but scenery and signalling is mostly fictional which commercial companies wouldn't really get away with so easily.

Mole259

Metroland said:
BTW this is not sticking up for EB, there's no reason why if people don't like something they shouldn't say. You just get the impression sometimes that people are expecting rather too much out of people like EB, Blue Arrow, Making tracks et all who are essentially a keen bunch of people working for a fraction of the going rate doing the best they can, with realism and time in mind.

Thats right people are entitled to their opinions fair enough. Most of us are railway enthusiasts which is why we take up the work and have the passion to do things we want to do to a "High" standard. And at this point im not having a dig at EB, and especially not MT or Blue arrow cause i have bought their products and really enjoy them!

Metroland said:
You just get the impression sometimes that people are expecting rather too much out of people like EB.

No, just expecting something better than the 5 year old MSTS standard thats all, i see EB havent changed with the times so im not going to buy their products, simple.

LucaZone

EB recently announced their intention to go forward with their 'Gold Series' plans which basically entails that they will release a standard version of their route as normal, but also continue work and release a high detailed, densely populated version entitled 'Gold'.

However this Gold Series will cost at least twice the normal price (£55-£65 a time). They have clearly stated the reasons behind this and all their plans seem to make clear finacial sense (after all they are a business).

However the catch comes in all these plans boil down to the fact that they will be producing routes to the same quality as other developers, but selling them at twice the price.

This has two potential results:
1] They dont sell any as the price far outweighs value for money, and other just as good routes are cheaper.
2] They do sell in acceptable numbers, EB make a great profit, and other route developers either quit from insult, or hike their prices up as well. Increasing the argument over Pay vs Free content, and ultimately costing the consumer more.

The crunch time I think is going to come with the release of the next Train Simulator 'Kuju Rail Sim'. The quality of this train simulator will mean that EB's Gold standard and everyones elses normal High standard, will be the default requirement. So while everyone else will continue to knock out routes while its still a saine thing to do for them, EB will be stuck with the problem of no longer being able to release 'their' standard products, and only producing Gold ones. Which Im assuming will mean they will only be selling addons at the 'gold' rate: £60 (this is a predicted figure, and not fact).

What do people think about this?

Mole259

I don't seem to understand why EB is "exempt" from some sort of quality. Maybe if they stopped and thought for a minute or two they would realise that maybe they are putting all other commercial groups to shame by manufacturing stuff that looks as dated as MSTS itself.

I cant just ask them about something or advise them to up it a bit cause i will just get told to f*** off quite literally.

All i think about it is that i dont buy their products now at that quality so chances are i wont be willing to pay double for anything else when there is better stuff for half price or for free!!!

Good luck to EB if they plan to change prices to that level, if someone is in their right mind to buy it then thats their choice.

KRS will be the decider will be interesting to see where things go from there, but either way they are going to have to seriously raise standards anyway.

LucaZone

From what i remember, EB posted a poll about whether people would pay the higher price for a gold version, and in true 'EB Poll Style' they got the answer they wanted (with a 50% margin over the votes from people who wouldnt pay more...........)

T

Tom

I never knew Ken or the staff there were good enough to be able to fix the vote!

Mole259

Tom said:
I never knew Ken or the staff there were good enough to be able to fix the vote!

It is hard to believe when they cant even spell correctly, everyone knows how to spell decide, "deside"

its pretty poor!

T

Tom

EB are able to sell by the fact that they match the original MSTS route quality, and they are able to sell at that because they advertise a unique feature in every product. They say, "FIRST EVER CROSSOVER IN TUNNEL!!", of course, many freeware routes no doubt have these - but apparently its first commercially.

Coxster

Established Member
They can also say their add-ons are compatible with all computers in the sense that you do not need a high-spec PC to run them. I have to admit, though, I do like the ECE route, the 91's cab and sounds and their CIGs.

Status
Not open for further replies.