• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

European electric buses in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnjb8

Established Member
https://cbwmagazine.com/milestone-order-for-solaris-as-katowice-orders-electrics/
Quote: 'Over 700 of its Urbino range are now on the streets of 17 countries across Europe, the first having been delivered to Klagenfurt, Austria, in 2013.'
Do any of you think Solaris will supply their buses here?

I also remember Mercedes-Benz supplying the first of their electric buses. Do you know if they plan on making a right-hand drive model for our market?

Even if Mercedes-Benz and Solaris do break into the zero-emission UK market, do you think they will be successful?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hst43102

https://cbwmagazine.com/milestone-order-for-solaris-as-katowice-orders-electrics/
Quote: 'Over 700 of its Urbino range are now on the streets of 17 countries across Europe, the first having been delivered to Klagenfurt, Austria, in 2013.'
Do any of you think Solaris will supply their buses here?

I also remember Mercedes-Benz supplying the first of their electric buses. Do you know if they plan on making a right-hand drive model for our market?

Even if Mercedes-Benz and Solaris do break into the zero-emission UK market, do you think they will be successful?

I'm not aware of Solaris ever having sold buses in the UK....I think there would have to be significant demand for them to produce a right hand drive model

K4016td

I really doubt Solaris would enter the oversubscribed heavy duty bus market in the UK. It's about completely new market and a lot of changes in parts including its characteristic windscreen design. As far as I know Solaris supplied only three RHD buses in its history, back in 2002 for Malta which was none of Urbino family model, but a special Valetta one with a completely different design.

However worth noting is the fact that couple of months ago Solaris shown its cheaper Lite version (http://phototrans.eu/14,948630,0,Solaris_Urbino_12_LE_Lite_Hybrid_.html) on a smaller wheelbase which could appeal to UK operators if the price would be competitive enough with ADL products.

Last edited:

radamfi

Established Member
The VDL Citea seems to be very popular, but what's the chance of a RHD version?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Didn't Solaris put in a bid(:lol) when London General were seeking electric buses for the 507/521 contract? I seem to remember that the reason given by LG for favouring BYD instead was because of Solaris's insistence that overhead charging facilities en route would be required.

Wirewiper

Caetano, the Portuguese manufacturer, is supplying 34 RHD versions of its e.CityGold all-electric single decker to Abellio London for the new contracts for route C10 (March 2020) and route P5 which it takes over in May 2020.

These will have electronic displays as traditional roller blinds cannot be fitted to the e.CityGold.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I doubt Solaris will ever come to the UK, the reason BYD have done so well is without a doubt due to the partnership with ADL as it gives them that backup support that Solaris would lack, additionally the UK is a totally unknown market to Solaris. Although i must confess i am rather fond of their current range of buses, bold without being ugly.

Adlington

As far as I know Solaris supplied only three RHD buses in its history, back in 2002 for Malta which was none of Urbino family model, but a special Valetta one with a completely different design.
More information about this Solaris' venture into the RHD market is in the Wikipedia. BTW, the article states in one place that 4 buses were built, and a few sentences later it says there were only 3.

K4016td

More information about this Solaris' venture into the RHD market is in the Wikipedia. BTW, the article states in one place that 4 buses were built, and a few sentences later it says there were only 3.
3 were low floor built for Malta in 2002: http://phototrans.eu/2415,2671,1352.html
and the fourth one of them was built in 2007 for regional bus market in Poland with a step entrance: http://phototrans.pl/15,119974,58.html.

Of course it was not sucessful as regional bus companies (PKS's at which the bus was aimed for) preffer much cheaper second hand buses from western Europe, most notably Setra and Renault.

Status
Not open for further replies.