• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

European rail distances-help in calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polrail

With the loss of the Jizdenka web site, it's gotten more difficult to calculate international distances. I'm currently trying to calculate distance travelled on a trip last weekend (Bydgoszcz, Poland - Glasgow and return), and could use some help.

At the moment I'm having trouble with distance these segments (2 since found):
  • Hamm - Köln Hbf. via Essen(this was a detour of ICE556) (found-148km)
  • Köln Hbf - Hamm via Wuppertal (found-121km)
  • Köln Hbf. - Brussels-Midi via Aachen/Liege
  • Brussels-Midi - Channel Tunnel entrance
  • Frankfurt(Oder) - Frankfurt(Oder)(GR) [border]

Could anyone help me out with these? Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Groningen

Established Member
Koeln - Aachen 70
Aachen - Liege 45
Liege - Brussel Zuid 108
The first i am sure!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
According to the km distances shown in the Schweers atlas:
FFO(Pbf)-FFO (GR) is 4.1 (GR is 477.8 Polish km (presumably from Warsaw).
K-Hamm Pbf via Wuppertal-Hagen-Unna is 137.1 (there are multiple other routeing options, eg via Dortmund).
K-Hamm Pbf via Duisburg-Essen-Dortmund is 151.9 (ditto).
K-Aachen-Brussels Nord is 224.1, but it's not clear which route that takes in Belgium.
Can't help with Brussels-CT, sorry.

Last edited:

Polrail

Last edited:

Polrail

So, my final calculations (there may be some small errors):

Bydgoszcz, Poland to Glasgow, Scotland and return by rail!

Bydgoszcz to Glasgow: 2077 kilometers (1291 miles)
Glasgow to Bydgoszcz: 2188 kilometers (1340 miles)

dutchflyer

Established Member
thats because only a very few people would even want to know that. Though I am aware its more of a british interest-even still naming it as ''mileage''.
I am now far away, but use 2 sources for this as general rule:
The former Cooks EUR timetable-shows real KM distance, where as (former) railway Timetables often showed Tariff-KMs. Does not matter how old it is (up till opening of wanted lines)-get one, even 2nd hand.
For nearly all German/DB IC and ICE: on the train you will find ''your traincomponist''=Ihr zugbegleiter leaflets, showing all stops, AND the KMs between them for the actual route used (unless of course it gets diverted). As long as that lasts-certainly also a thing to get on the onboards screens only for savings.
But well, yes, in general its quite difficult to find data in this for recently opened new lines, esp. HS (as railways tend to charge simply the old Kms-often more-for fares), articles in the relevant press will mostly answer that. Most EUR railways still have quite simple tariff tables that simply state-so much for that distance.
The new HS line Aachen-Liege is some Kms shorter as the old line.

Groningen

Established Member
Your making a small mistake. Shortly behind Leuven and before Bierset the HSL folliws the motorway. Not via Tienen and Landen.

Quakkerillo

https://brouter.damsy.net/latest/#m...778,50.747884|4.317078,50.826678&profile=rail
226.8 km from Köln Hbf to Bruxelles-Midi
(and 212.1km Bruxelles-Midi to the Channel tunnel Portal French side, 262.9km on the UK side)
Sometimes it gets a bit picky with where you put the marker, so I often have to zoom in significantly. But I do love the ease to calculate rail distances, even long-distance, with this site.

Last edited:

On Moderation
A couple of options:
1. check the Network Statement on the website of the country's infrastructure manager (e.g. Network Rail in the UK, Infrabel in Belgium etc etc) as quite often these have tables of distances between stations in them
2. http://raildar.fr/osrm/#9/51.2181/4.4865

superalbs

Established Member
Your making a small mistake. Shortly behind Leuven and before Bierset the HSL folliws the motorway. Not via Tienen and Landen.
It was mostly a guess to be honest, I just followed any track that seemed right.

Status
Not open for further replies.