• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar not stopping at Rotterdam or Amsterdam

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamn

Just seen that Eurostar has posted this

"Due to the impact the current weather has on our trains and the tracks, 9106, 9114, 9126, 9145, 9157 and 9167 can no longer stop at Rotterdam Centraal and Amsterdam Centraal."

Any idea what weather is causing this? All looks pretty normal from what I can see on the apps. It's also not clear if this is just for today or a longer term problem.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

peterblue

There's a storm causing disruption across most of the NS network

If you are planning to go to Rotterdam/Amsterdam today, I would recommend getting a Eurostar to Brussel Zuid then any IC train north

Last edited:

DanielB

There has been a heavy summer storm earlier today in the Netherlands. Trains north of Leiden / Utrecht are currently not running. Buses have also been cancelled in the northern Netherlands and are just starting to run again.

williamn

Thanks for info everyone, from Eurostars wording I was worried it was something longer term!

alholmes

Also many flights to/from Schiphol cancelled this morning and a few diverted to Brussels, Maastricht and Dublin (!)

popeter45

There's a storm causing disruption across most of the NS network
If you are planning to go to Rotterdam/Amsterdam today, I would recommend getting a Eurostar to Brussel Zuid then any IC train north
Or avoid travel to the Netherlands today

philg999

Trees flying about everywhere, blocking tracks, and overhead power lines have come down. Apart from that it’s normal weather. Schiphol was closed this morning as well. suggest getting a more accurate weather app

DanielB

Trees flying about everywhere, blocking tracks, and overhead power lines have come down.
Haven't heard from any severe consequences (apart from stranded passengers) on the railways however, so appears they have stopped running in time. A wind gust of 145 km/h was reported, making it the worst summer storm ever. Such a widespread preventive cancellation of trains is relatively rare in the Netherlands.

In Haarlem a bus driver was less lucky this morning, though he managed to get out of the bus unharmed.

dutchflyer

Established Member
Said to have been heaviest storm/tornados since some 12 years. Am currently in northern Germany and here its also all disrupted-wires down etc. Also at least 1 person killed by falling tree. Plus that in Hamburg yesterday eve they had found yet another large bomb from WW2 and the north-south link was disrupted.

DanielB

Though there was some significant damage, on some lines up to 20 trees had to be removed from the tracks, most routes were operational again this morning.
ProRail shared a photo on their website of a truck roof found on the tracks.

ABB125

Established Member
I've only just spotted this thread; I was travelling to Amsterdam on Eurostar (albeit only to Brussels, so as to maximise loco-haulage for onward travel to Amsterdam!) on Wednesday morning so I was directly impacted.
As has been stated, a lot of the Dutch rail network was shut. The Eurostar staff didn't really know what was going on. There was nothing on the Rotterdam to Amsterdam high speed line until late afternoon, and lots of cancellations/truncated routes elsewhere.
In the end, I spent much of the day shuttling between Rotterdam and Breda, ticking off 14 class 186s for haulage! :D

kevin_roche

I've only just spotted this thread; I was travelling to Amsterdam on Eurostar (albeit only to Brussels, so as to maximise loco-haulage for onward travel to Amsterdam!) on Wednesday morning so I was directly impacted.
As has been stated, a lot of the Dutch rail network was shut. The Eurostar staff didn't really know what was going on. There was nothing on the Rotterdam to Amsterdam high speed line until late afternoon, and lots of cancellations/truncated routes elsewhere.
In the end, I spent much of the day shuttling between Rotterdam and Breda, ticking off 14 class 186s for haulage! :D

Same for me. I got to Rotterdam and there were trains running to Den Haag where a friend kindly put up with me sitting and drinking tea for 4 hours. When her husband got home from work he drove us to Amsterdam Schipol. Got home yesterday on a perfect trip on Eurostar.

Status
Not open for further replies.