• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar Seating During Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rouge

Hi

Has anyone travelled on Eurostar since it's restart?

I'm planning a London-Amsterdam RTN trip once the direct service home launches and was wondering what the seating policy was on-board, especially in Standard Premier.

Are they leaving empty seats next to travellers, especially single travellers?

TIA for any advice/tips

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BJames

Established Member
Although I've not travelled with them, they updated their website information three days ago to say this:

Eurostar said:
We’ve made some changes to our seating plan to make sure everybody has plenty of space on board.To ensure every other seat is left empty, some passengers may find their coach and seat number has changed. If your seat has been changed, you’ll get a yellow slip of paper as you go through the ticket gates at the station. Please take this slip with you and make sure you sit in your new seat to give everybody plenty of space.

I can't imagine you'll be seated next to someone else, Eurostar's services suit compulsory reservations and they can easily space people out.

Been on a few intercity services in England over the last couple of weeks. Most people I've had in the same carriage as me is about 15, but that was a busier service at around 3pm. The later services I took were dead quiet, only a couple of others in the carriage with me and seated far away from me. I use St Pancras a fair bit as well, and the Eurostar area has been quite quiet most of the times I've been through. There's naturally one-way systems in place and quite a few staff around directing people. Don't forget face masks are needed in St Pancras and on the train unless you have an exemption.

Just to note, their website is also stating that there's no catering at the moment. You can see more information here: https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/travel-info/service-information/coronavirus-and-eurostar-service

I'd be interested as well to hear from anyone who has actually travelled with them over this period or over the last few weeks - will probably end up just staying in this country for holiday this year but you never know.

TFN

I solely travelled with them last week in Standard from London to Brussels and back.

Every other seat was left empty on both trips so yes Eurostar are strictly applying it at the moment.

They're also strict in the face masks use as threatened by the train manager on the PA, "You wouldn't be the first to be kicked off the train if you don't comply without a valid reason".

trebor79

Established Member
They're also strict in the face masks use as threatened by the train manager on the PA, "You wouldn't be the first to be kicked off the train if you don't comply without a valid reason".
Bit unnecessary. Who acts as judge jury and executioner as to whether your reason is "valid"? And what are the going to do, stop somewhere specially to turf you out?

TFN

Bit unnecessary. Who acts as judge jury and executioner as to whether your reason is "valid"? And what are the going to do, stop somewhere specially to turf you out?

I'm not sure if he did mean it as a joke or not but other passengers and myself included did laugh.

I just wouldn't be surprised if there are passengers out there that refuse to wear one because "they can't be bothered". If it's eurostar's rules to wear one unless exempt, then they do have a right to kick you off isn't it?

BJames

Established Member
On the continent? Quite possibly.
I was going to say this... other countries are being much more strict about it than we are. Hard to tell without hearing the PA if it was intended as a joke or not but in Britain you could definitely just get away with claiming you've got a valid exemption... not sure if that would be the same once you've crossed the border.

T-Karmel

I would imagine them walking through at least some carriages if not all of them before departure and if spotted whilst still at the station, asked to wear a mask and act depends on passengers reaction. If problematic, then kick them out.

In Poland there were several cases since face coverings are compulsory that train manager has stopped the train at the next station and called the police because passenger refused wearing face covering. Caused a few trains to get delays of over an hour.

Rouge

Thanks for all the replies which are reassuring. However after the Spain fiasco and warnings coming from Govt it looks like even doing a little trip to Amsterdam could be risky this year

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I was going to say this... other countries are being much more strict about it than we are. Hard to tell without hearing the PA if it was intended as a joke or not but in Britain you could definitely just get away with claiming you've got a valid exemption... not sure if that would be the same once you've crossed the border.

I actually wonder if there are exceptions on the continent, if there are what they are and how rigorously they check that.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I don't think France offer any exceptions, hence Eurostar originally not doing (I don't know about now).

Hmm, I couldn't seem to find anything very definite about other countries' policies so that doesn't surprise me but I do wonder what they expect people who genuinely have serious issues wearing masks or similar - do they expect them to not go out at all?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Hmm, I couldn't seem to find anything very definite about other countries' policies so that doesn't surprise me but I do wonder what they expect people who genuinely have serious issues wearing masks or similar - do they expect them to not go out at all?

I get the impression they may well not have thought of that. The UK has been much slower with this sort of policy but do at least seem to have considered possible adverse effects.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I get the impression they may well not have thought of that. The UK has been much slower with this sort of policy but do at least seem to have considered possible adverse effects.

The fines seem much heftier and more stringently enforced if the press is to be believed. I wonder if doctors can issue some sort of certificate to people that would be acceptable given there's no official leeway

SHD

The fines seem much heftier and more stringently enforced if the press is to be believed. I wonder if doctors can issue some sort of certificate to people that would be acceptable given there's no official leeway

In France, there is an official exemption policy for disabled people. It must be corroborated by a doctor’s certificate.

La dérogation au port du masque reste cependant possible pour les personnes dont le handicap le rend difficilement supportable, mais toujours sous deux conditions :
- il sera nécessaire pour les personnes de se munir d’un certificat médical justifiant de son handicap et de cette impossibilité de porter le masque ;
- la personne handicapée sera également tenue de prendre toutes les précautions sanitaires possibles (port, si possible, d’une visière, respect des autres gestes barrières, à savoir rester à plus d’un mètre de l’autre, ne pas toucher son visage et les yeux, se laver très souvent les mains, saluer sans toucher les personnes, tousser ou éternuer dans son coude, utiliser un mouchoir en papier et le jeter).

Translation:
People with disabilities that make mask-wearing difficult to withstand may still benefit from the exemption [to mandatory masks in public enclosed spaces] under two conditions:
- disabled people claiming the exemption must present a doctor’s certificate stating that wearing a mask is impossible for them;
- and must respect all other sanitary measures enforced (wearing a visor if possible, maintaining 1m social distancing, washing eyes frequently, avoid touching one’s face and eyes, salute people without physical contact, cough or sneeze in one’s elbow, use disposable tissues and dispose them properly)

Last edited:

Dougal2345

Just looking at eurostar.com now - are through tickets from other UK stations no longer available? When I last booked in March I was able to start from Southampton - but if I type that into the "From" box now, I get a message saying nothing found...

hexagon789

Veteran Member
In France, there is an official exemption policy for disabled people. It must be corroborated by a doctor’s certificate.

La dérogation au port du masque reste cependant possible pour les personnes dont le handicap le rend difficilement supportable, mais toujours sous deux conditions :
- il sera nécessaire pour les personnes de se munir d’un certificat médical justifiant de son handicap et de cette impossibilité de porter le masque ;
- la personne handicapée sera également tenue de prendre toutes les précautions sanitaires possibles (port, si possible, d’une visière, respect des autres gestes barrières, à savoir rester à plus d’un mètre de l’autre, ne pas toucher son visage et les yeux, se laver très souvent les mains, saluer sans toucher les personnes, tousser ou éternuer dans son coude, utiliser un mouchoir en papier et le jeter).

Translation:
People with disabilities that make mask-wearing difficult to withstand may still benefit from the exemption [to mandatory masks in public enclosed spaces] under two conditions:
- disabled people claiming the exemption must present a doctor’s certificate stating that wearing a mask is impossible for them;
- and must respect all other sanitary measures enforced (wearing a visor if possible, maintaining 1m social distancing, washing eyes frequently, avoid touching one’s face and eyes, salute people without physical contact, cough or sneeze in one’s elbow, use disposable tissues and dispose them properly)

So there are medical exemptions but the onus is on the individual to prove they need one rather than the state to prov they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.