• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar signage question

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynenm1

On a recent Eurostar trip the display next to the door on my coach read:

CARROZZA 8 NFU
da MILANO C.LE
a NAPOLI C.LE

Does anyone know what the NFU means? Tnks.
--
wf.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

waynenm1

Thanks for that. Somehow it never occurred to me, even tho I used to see the Fumatore, Non-F signs in years past. Probably because non-smoking seems to be a given everywhere nowadays!
--
wf.

Yew

Established Member
Thanks for that. Somehow it never occurred to me, even tho I used to see the Fumatore, Non-F signs in years past. Probably because non-smoking seems to be a given everywhere nowadays!
--
wf.

Not quite as common on the continent, in Austria they still have smoking rooms in cafes and such

waynenm1

Ooops, I should have specified Italian Eurostar. I keep forgetting that what we usually call the chunnel train is also called the Eurostar in the UK. Must have been a common origin to the name.
--
wf.

Squaddie

I keep forgetting that what we usually call the chunnel train is also called the Eurostar in the UK.
Does anyone call it "the chunnel train"? :lol:
Not quite as common on the continent, in Austria they still have smoking rooms in cafes and such
I was in Italy for a few days last week, where it appears that smoking is not only common but mandatory. On Tirano station I think there were only two of us who weren't chain-smoking - and the other one was a nun.

waynenm1

Over here, well at least to the people I know who travel overseas, what is called Eurostar in the UK is simply called the chunnel train. When Eurostar is mentioned it is almost always in the context of travel in Italy. I must admit, I never thought to ask any Italians about how they refer to the two. A friend of one of my nieces works for Expedia, formerly in the UK and now in Australia. I'll have to ask her about this as Expedia is a US based company. Wonder if it causes confusion.
Cheers.
--
wf.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Over here, well at least to the people I know who travel overseas, what is called Eurostar in the UK is simply called the chunnel train. When Eurostar is mentioned it is almost always in the context of travel in Italy. I must admit, I never thought to ask any Italians about how they refer to the two. A friend of one of my nieces works for Expedia, formerly in the UK and now in Australia. I'll have to ask her about this as Expedia is a US based company. Wonder if it causes confusion.
Cheers.
--
wf.

It was a term ignorant newspapers invented as an abbreviation of "channel tunnel".
It never caught on though, especially when there are two types of service through the tunnel - Eurotunnel Le Shuttle for cars and Eurostar for rail passengers.
The general public have enough trouble telling these apart, and Eurostar does the trick for rail.

Eurostar was also the brand name invented in Italy at about the same time for their high speed rail services, and there was a branding battle between the two.
Eventually, the Italians agreed to brand themselves Eurostar Italia.
Recently Trenitalia has made life even more complicated by sub-branding its high speed trains "Freccia..." (-argento, -bianca, -rossa), and I think Eurostar Italia is not now used.

Saying "Chunnel" to the Brits is about as useful as using the term "Subway" for the Tube. ;)

Oscar

Fares Advisor
Eurostar Italia is no longer used. What was called Eurostar Alta Velocità ("High Speed") may be known as Frecciarossa ("Red Arrow", maximum speed 300 km/h, on Torino - Milano - Bologna - Roma - Napoli - Salerno route). It may also be known as Frecciargento ("Silver Arrow", maximum speed 250 km/h, routes to/from Venezia S. L. /Padova). What was called Eurostar City is now known as Frecciabianca ("White Arrow", maximum speed 200 km/h, covers various classic routes across the country), though this category also includes some services previously known as Intercity. The most frequent Frecciabianca route is the (Torino -) Milano - Verona - Venezia (- Trieste) route, which is ex-Eurostar City. Freccebianche run several times a day down the Adriatic coast (ex-Eurostar City) and typically once or twice a day on various other north-south routes (typically ex-IC). These Freccebianche are not high speed trains but rather refurbished coaches built in the 1970s or 1980s hauled by locos built in the 1990s). Intercity trains use similar rolling stock but have not been refurbished. They are a cheaper but slower alternative to Le Frecce services on various north-south routes and also run most long-distance services in the south of Italy and Sicily.

Veteran Member
There's lots of them about. But I agree, it's Le Frecce / the Arrows branding now.

waynenm1

The coach I rode last year had Standard painted in large letters and Frecciarossa painted in very small letters just above the info sign for the car, which had *EUROSTAR* in medium letters (along with coach number, etc.).

Did I read above that you don't have subways in London? Could have sworn I rode one..............
--
wf.

Wolfie

Established Member
Ooops, I should have specified Italian Eurostar. I keep forgetting that what we usually call the chunnel train is also called the Eurostar in the UK. Must have been a common origin to the name.
--
wf.

The name Eurostar was first used for the "chunnel train" as you call it.

FS stole it!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Did I read above that you don't have subways in London? Could have sworn I rode one..............
--
wf.

You may have travelled on or ridden (NOT rode!) the London Underground aka the Underground aka the tube.

In London the only subways are either, as others have already said, pedestrian underpasses or rather rubbish American-import fast food joints!

Now there is a subway (ie underground railway) in Glasgow though.... perhaps you were a bit further north than you thought!!!

http://www.spt.co.uk/subway/

GBS was right - "two nations divided by a common language" indeed....;)

waynenm1

Call it three nation maybe - American English, English English and Scottish English. For the most part I can understand the accent and terminology when in England, but I have a very good friend in Scotland and it takes a couple days for me to get used to his English when we meet. Obligatory rail: is there a different UK term for what we 'Mericans call the draft gear on a rail car?
--
wd.

Status
Not open for further replies.