• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar St Pancras - is bedlam normal?

Fiyero

I was lucky enough to go to Paris for a week and have just returned. I travelled out on the 09:31 on 21/01 and got to St Pancras at 08:10. I thought that would give me plenty of time to stop at the café for a coffee and croissant to set me up for my day.
It took an hour to get to the waiting area, barked at through all the queues to move up, move on, move. Nearly had a panic attack as I still like personal space! The actual checks didn't really seem to take longer than normal and there weren't delayed trains ahead of us or anything like that! By the time I got through there was only time to grab a bottle of Coke and find my seat. They did delay the train to allow everyone to get through.

Is this normal now? It never used to take that long I'm sure (excluding when there is disruption). I have booked again for September and it is putting me off! The way back was busier than I am used to but managed so much better (I know Paris Eurostar has the benefit of less destinations).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

iknowyeah

I travel on it every month or so, and whilst the lounge can be busy, I've never known it like this.

Although last time I used it a fortnight ago there was building work so may well have something to do with this

Fiyero

I travel on it every month or so, and whilst the lounge can be busy, I've never known it like this.

Although last time I used it a fortnight ago there was building work so may well have something to do with this
That's reassuring. I did notice some areas blocked off for building work so hopefully things will get better!

Seaeagle

I travelled out on the 20th January, getting the 08:16 to Amsterdam, (I was only going to Brussels) and I had a terrible time getting through taking nearly an hour. Staff were having to shout out if anyone was requiring the 07:31 train that were still stuck in the queues, there was a so-called manager there who was as much use as a chocolate teapot, and to be honest, the security staff doing the scanning were rude and arrogant, actually the customs staff were quite pleasant.

James H

Yes, in my view the passenger experience for international travellers at St Pancras is very poor. Cramped and stressful.

Lxd2

It's not normal, but it's not that rare either. I travel on Eurostar quite often and probably get through in 15 minutes most times, but then maybe 15% of the time I experience a stressful and chaotic situation like you did and it can suddenly take an hour. The reason, in my experience, is usually a shortage of staff to carry out the French border controls. I wish they didn't shout at the people queueing as it doesn't help.

LowLevel

Established Member
Too many people go too early and form those massive queues. Sundays can be heavy going, but generally go a bit later and you sail through. I usually find Brussels to be the easiest.

Fiyero

I wish they didn't shout at the people queueing as it doesn't help.
That’s the bit that unsettled me the most. Like if I leave 50cm either side of me in the queue I’ll still get through just as quickly! I guess they want to not have a queue onto the main concourse but that’s not my fault!
I’ve checked and I’m booked for the train an hour later next time. Maybe I’ll get my croissant!

AlbertBeale

Established Member
I generally arrive getting on for half an hour before the 30-mins ticket gate deadline (sometimes a bit later...), and normally get to the gate within anything between 2 mins and 10 mins. By the time I get to the station, people for the previous train will have gone through (and probably be boarding in fact); If there are already people waiting to check in for a later train, there's always a separate prioritised queue for mine (ie the "next" one) - though at times when there are departures in quick succession this can seem like more of a hassle than it really is. I do think some of the problem is people arriviing much too early and overcrowding the place. But maybe I've always been lucky...

Fiyero

I generally arrive getting on for half an hour before the 30-mins ticket gate deadline (sometimes a bit later...), and normally get to the gate within anything between 2 mins and 10 mins. By the time I get to the station, people for the previous train will have gone through (and probably be boarding in fact); If there are already people waiting to check in for a later train, there's always a separate prioritised queue for mine (ie the "next" one) - though at times when there are departures in quick succession this can seem like more of a hassle than it really is. I do think some of the problem is people arriviing much too early and overcrowding the place. But maybe I've always been lucky...
This was more or less what I did. There were a few stragglers for the train before and check-in wasn't opened for the train after!

Brooke

I am a weekly commuter on Eurostar.

I always recommend people to arrive more than 30 and less than 60 minutes before the departure time.

Less than 30 you run the risk to be denied boarding. More than 60 you risk having to queue until access opens.

Of course it’s not always possible, but it’s far more pleasant to have a drink or whatever outside than to join the madness before you need.

Class800

Established Member
So Eurostar has failed to offer a radically different experience than flying from the City Airport? It would be much better for the environment if the train provided a genuinely superior option, yet I'm truly unconvinced that it does

sh24

LCY offers a materially nicer experience than St Pancras, especially around security. However with no flights to either BRU or CDG/ORY from City, it's a moot point about competition.

AlbertBeale

Established Member

I always recommend people to arrive more than 30 and less than 60 minutes before the departure time.

Less than 30 you run the risk to be denied boarding. More than 60 you risk having to queue until access opens.

Of course it’s not always possible, but it’s far more pleasant to have a drink or whatever outside than to join the madness before you need.

This does seem the best tactic.

Interestingly, the fact that so many people arrive so long before the 30-minute ticket gate deadline - which can cause congestion and stress at St P - has the opposite effect at a place with fewer departures, like Brussels. I generally end up there comfortably before the 30-minute cut off, see there are very few people around, and go for a coffee or whatever. Last time, I then went to the ticket gate about 10 minutes prior to the deadline, found no-one else there and just went straight through, zigzagged through the route to the baggage check - no-one in front of me there either (though I had to pause to take my coat off and put it on again) - and went through both the passport checks with no-one to queue behind. From walking off the main station concourse into the Eurostar terminal area, to sitting down in the waiting area having gone through the whole system, took maybe 4 minutes. (The most aggravating thing about the whole experience was having to walk through the blaze of unpleasantness that's the duty free area.) The seating area had lots of people already there - they'd obviously almost all turned up an hour or more - maybe much more - ahead of the departure time.

Admittedly that time was exceptionally fast; but even so, I've never experienced any really lengthy queues at Brussels and I never try to check in very much before the 30-minute deadline. (Of course, if everyone did that ... I know...)

Class800

Established Member
LCY offers a materially nicer experience than St Pancras, especially around security. However with no flights to either BRU or CDG/ORY from City, it's a moot point about competition.
There used to be, hadn't noticed no longer is the case

ollyrogers

This is a good thread to the casual observer - I supervise one of the hotels up at Kings Cross and will definitely be amending the advice that I dispense to guests based on the replies here.

I've been playing it safe by using the official advice from the website, which states 90/ 45 mins before arrival for Standard/ Business passengers and most of my guests, even before coming to me, have the same idea based on what they have read on the website. Those already 'in the know' (ie, the regulars) tend to allow less time but, as the advice comes from me, I have been inclined to back it up with the "official" website timings. Perhaps this could be one reason for the oversaturation of passengers if 30-40 mins is ample?

James H

I've been playing it safe by using the official advice from the website, which states 90/ 45 mins before arrival for Standard/ Business passengers
One issue is that the messaging is often contradictory - I have noticed that the generic advice on the website, and the recommended times shown on Eurostar tickets themselves, are often out of sync, which adds to the sense of doubt and uncertainty

infobleep

Veteran Member

I try to arrive at the point Eurostar say I should arrive, whilst also allowing for the possibility of trains being delayed on route to Euston.

For my next train I am getting a 7 am service on a Thursday and I'll be travelling from the Wood Green area.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
So Eurostar has failed to offer a radically different experience than flying from the City Airport? It would be much better for the environment if the train provided a genuinely superior option, yet I'm truly unconvinced that it does
The experience of flying from LCY is vastly superior to Eurostar at StP, in my experience.

Eurostar don't want our custom, and until that changes, the feeling remains mutual!

LCY offers a materially nicer experience than St Pancras...
Definitely.

I was lucky enough to go to Paris for a week and have just returned. I travelled out on the 09:31 on 21/01 and got to St Pancras at 08:10. I thought that would give me plenty of time to stop at the café for a coffee and croissant to set me up for my day....
If you'd done that, and attempted to join the queue at around 09:00 you'd have had a better experience. Still not a nice experience, but at least it would have been shorter in duration!
Nearly had a panic attack as I still like personal space!
If you want personal space, then the Eurostar boarding experience is best avoided.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
This is a good thread to the casual observer - I supervise one of the hotels up at Kings Cross and will definitely be amending the advice that I dispense to guests based on the replies here.

I've been playing it safe by using the official advice from the website, which states 90/ 45 mins before arrival for Standard/ Business passengers and most of my guests, even before coming to me, have the same idea based on what they have read on the website. Those already 'in the know' (ie, the regulars) tend to allow less time but, as the advice comes from me, I have been inclined to back it up with the "official" website timings. Perhaps this could be one reason for the oversaturation of passengers if 30-40 mins is ample?

If by 30-40 mins you mean before train departure, then I'd be wary of telling people they can arrive just as the ticket gate check-in deadline is reached (30 mins prior)! You do need to allow time to find the right queue (if there are people waiting to check in for a later train) and to get through at least some queuing prior to the gate ... I believe the "30 mins prior to departure" last gate time for standard class is taken seriously. Although I wouldn't dream of turning up 90 mins ahead as some official advice says [but it's anyway contradictory, as has been pointed out; information on the booking site, and on the ticket, often differs], and as lots of people seem to do, if I was catching a train at St P at a busy time I would aim to be at the station at least 15-20 mins before the gate closes. (I've only ever travelled Standard class... no idea how other check-in differs.)

MattSGB

I have nearly missed a train after arriving in the queue exactly as they told me, 60 minutes before departure. I had to join the queue right at the back of the station in a massive holding pattern. They were allowing people to enter the queue whose train wasn't departing for another two hours. The main problem was that for passengers arriving late for my train, they started calling them out before they joined the queue and inserting them half way along the queue, before the position where I was, thereby holding me up. Then at the end, just before the automated barriers, the queue was split into different lanes. One of the lanes (the one I was in) was going much slower than the others for some unknown reason, but the staff seemed oblivious and did nothing about it. On the parts of the queue that were actually moving they were actively calling out passengers for my train, but in the part of the queue that I was stuck dead in, they totally ignored us. It was an absolute farce. The only reason that I and several other passengers managed to board was thanks to one lone member of staff with a brain who realised that a big section of the queue had been held up, and prioritised us at the last minute. All they needed to do to resolve this was to have one competent member of staff at the queue entrance to stop people queuing two hours before their departure. They had so many staff dedicated to controlling the queue, but unfortunately they were all idiots and did exactly the wrong things. It was when the queue control staff lept into action for the late-arriving passengers that they completely f'd it for the people that arrived on time. St pancras is becoming as unpleasant as Stansted.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The experience of flying from LCY is vastly superior to Eurostar at StP, in my experience.

Eurostar don't want our custom, and until that changes, the feeling remains mutual!

Definitely.

If you'd done that, and attempted to join the queue at around 09:00 you'd have had a better experience. Still not a nice experience, but at least it would have been shorter in duration!

If you want personal space, then the Eurostar boarding experience is best avoided.
I still prefer it to flying from places like Gatwick Airport. Not done London City Airport though.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
I have nearly missed a train after arriving in the queue exactly as they told me, 60 minutes before departure. I had to join the queue right at the back of the station in a massive holding pattern. They were allowing people to enter the queue whose train wasn't departing for another two hours. The main problem was that for passengers arriving late for my train, they started calling them out before they joined the queue and inserting them half way along the queue, before the position where I was, thereby holding me up. Then at the end, just before the automated barriers, the queue was split into different lanes. One of the lanes (the one I was in) was going much slower than the others for some unknown reason, but the staff seemed oblivious and did nothing about it. On the parts of the queue that were actually moving they were actively calling out passengers for my train, but in the part of the queue that I was stuck dead in, they totally ignored us. It was an absolute farce. The only reason that I and several other passengers managed to board was thanks to one lone member of staff with a brain who realised that a big section of the queue had been held up, and prioritised us at the last minute. All they needed to do to resolve this was to have one competent member of staff at the queue entrance to stop people queuing two hours before their departure. They had so many staff dedicated to controlling the queue, but unfortunately they were all idiots and did exactly the wrong things. It was when the queue control staff lept into action for the late-arriving passengers that they completely f'd it for the people that arrived on time. St pancras is becoming as unpleasant as Stansted.

That highlighted part seems to be the essence of the problem. Eurostar sometimes encourage people to turn up far earlier than need be, and then fail to keep them out of the way while they process the ones for the next train(s). Do people go over the top in terms of arriving so early because they treat it like an airport which frequently insists you do turn up hours before your departure? Maybe Eurostar should adopt a different tactic: assuming that the number of ticket gates is sufficient for a trainload of passengers to get through them in well under half an hour, and that there are no more than 2 departures an hour, then their publicity should refer to the "30-minutes ahead of departure" minimum check-in, but also say they strongly recommend not trying to be at the check-in more than an hour before departure. That should make life easier for everyone, with just one trainload in the queue at a time, at the most.

I'm surprised to hear that their queue management, on a very busy day, was incapable of differentiating between people queueing for the next train and people who're - effectively - just there to hang around for an hour unnecessarily. It sounds as though they let everyone into one big queue, irrespective of their departure time - that's crazy.

Yes, the queue management at StP can be a little haphazard but, unless others are going to tell me otherwise, I've never actually seen any ES staff check any paperwork about the train people have their reservation on nor the gates reject tickets because 'you are too early'...? So it's possible that many people do get through the security and into the lounge a long while in advance: after all, there are some nice seats there to wait in there, a bit different to the rest of the station!

Ultimately, having now got the c374s (with more capacity) ES is really going to have to either expand the boarding area or get much firmer on how the queue for departures an hour or more away is managed.... Ensuring all the PAF desks are staffed helps, but even then queues build up. Maybe PAF can be persuaded to use the iProov system that ES has been trialling to capture the UK departure information, which seems to be working well?

Teebs

Yes, the queue management at StP can be a little haphazard but, unless others are going to tell me otherwise, I've never actually seen any ES staff check any paperwork about the train people have their reservation on nor the gates reject tickets because 'you are too early'...? So it's possible that many people do get through the security and into the lounge a long while in advance: after all, there are some nice seats there to wait in there, a bit different to the rest of the station!

I caught the ES out of St Pancras on Friday and the people ahead of me were rejected by the ticket machine for being early (19.01 train at about 17:30). The staff then rebooked them onto the earlier train, which was nice.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I caught the ES out of St Pancras on Friday and the people ahead of me were rejected by the ticket machine for being early (19.01 train at about 17:30). The staff then rebooked them onto the earlier train, which was nice.
I had that at Paris for the first time. I would never normally arrive that early myself but was playing safe on the train booking in case an event over-ran. But as others say on the thread, you can't be certain how long it will take to be processes. Recently at both ends I have gone from start to finish in 10 minutes, but would not be confident enough to clear passports and baggage scanning in 30 minutes. It is a chicken and egg that as confidence returns I will leave less time and the lounges will be less crowded.

Scanning in Paris always used to be the worse part of the journey, they have got better thank goodness.

Fiyero

Thanks! I was aiming to get there about an hour before (so the earlier train had left) but I think maybe there was one inbetween or something. Next time maybe I'll find a cafe I can see the chaos from so know when to pounce!

The management of people who needed to be on the earlier train seemed to be parading them through past queues and people not knowing what was going on so following them! It wasn't as bad at Paris but I did note that there were areas queues were overflowing from so it wasn't obvious whether to try and merge or go past it to find the end!

AlbertBeale

Established Member
I had that at Paris for the first time. I would never normally arrive that early myself but was playing safe on the train booking in case an event over-ran. But as others say on the thread, you can't be certain how long it will take to be processes. Recently at both ends I have gone from start to finish in 10 minutes, but would not be confident enough to clear passports and baggage scanning in 30 minutes. It is a chicken and egg that as confidence returns I will leave less time and the lounges will be less crowded.

Scanning in Paris always used to be the worse part of the journey, they have got better thank goodness.

I thought that getting through baggage scanning and passport checks was pretty much guaranteed to be doable within less than 30 minutes - hence the 30-minute ticket check-in deadline. If you're through the ticket gate before that cut-off, presumably they'll have to transport you, even if for some reason on a later train? (In fact it's never taken me anything like the full 30 minutes to get through the formalities once inside the ticket gate.)

Class800

Established Member
I thought that getting through baggage scanning and passport checks was pretty much guaranteed to be doable within less than 30 minutes - hence the 30-minute ticket check-in deadline. If you're through the ticket gate before that cut-off, presumably they'll have to transport you, even if for some reason on a later train? (In fact it's never taken me anything like the full 30 minutes to get through the formalities once inside the ticket gate.)
Maybe - but probably not if they manage to have it so that you can't get to the ticket gate by 30 minutes even if there earlier

Failed Unit

Established Member
Not always in Paris, it is normally to hold the train rather then put the passengers on the one afterwards. In the past year Gare Du Nord has added new scanners, is more likely to have them all open. This was the biggest bottle neck to me, but they have done a lot of work to fix it. I don't know anyone ever miss their booked trian because of delays getting into the station, but I have personally had delayed trains departing waiting for people to get through. If you were in the queue at T-30 you were getting on your trian and it would wait for you.