• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar / UK delays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I'm currently on a train journey, 37 minutes late and counting. I started in Brussels. I made a through booking from Brussels to Leeds and then have an onward ticket from Leeds. Can I include the leg from Brussels in Delay Repay claims?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I'm currently on a train journey, 37 minutes late and counting. I started in Brussels. I made a through booking from Brussels to Leeds and then have an onward ticket from Leeds. Can I include the leg from Brussels in Delay Repay claims?
It depends on the kind of ticket you bought from London to Leeds. If it's a CIV ticket then it's all deemed to come under one joined-up contract of travel, so compensation would apply on all tickets held, but on the basis of CIV rules - i.e. you don't get very much and I believe the minimum threshold is 60 minutes' delay.

If it's non-CIV then it's a separate contract and you will only be entitled to compensation in relation to the ticket(s) covering the UK part of your journey.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I bought a through journey from Eurostar. They gave me a CIV advance. Presumably I claim from LNER as Eurostar were within a couple of minutes of being on time? Currently 50 minutes late and not currently moving.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I bought a through journey from Eurostar. They gave me a CIV advance. Presumably I claim from LNER as Eurostar were within a couple of minutes of being on time? Currently 50 minutes late and not currently moving.
Yes, exactly, you claim from LNER if they have been the ones that caused your journey to become delayed. This Loco2 article explains the amount of compensation you can expect - in short, for a 60-119 minute delay, it's 25% of the relevant portion of the ticket(s) used.

gray1404

Established Member
What was the final delay to your journey?

It will be interesting to see what amount of compensation you get as they might just apply the normal delay repay %.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
What was the final delay to your journey?

It will be interesting to see what amount of compensation you get as they might just apply the normal delay repay %.

We were 90 minutes late into Leeds. 50 minutes after arriving they'd put us into a group who needed taxis on a cold platform but still not asked us where we going so we rang our local taxi company. They arrived 90 minutes after we arrived in Leeds. Half the people from our train were still waiting to be sorted out. We were 2 hours 50 minutes late at home, having expected to get home at midnight.

Last edited:

gray1404

Established Member
Did the train company pay for the taxi?

What was the final destination you were ticketed to? Bearing in mind you can use a combination of tickets so if you have a ticket to Leeds then another rail ticket that is fine. If it was Leeds then you are looking at a 90 minute delay. If it was somewhere else and they were proving a taxi to get you to your final destination then you are looking at around 2 hours and 50 minutes. It would be based on the time the taxi got you to your "ticketed" station.

I am assuming the TOC paid In that case as you are looking at a delay of about 2 hours and 50 minutes I would hope they would offer you the cost of your ticket. At the very least 50% of the Eurostar ticket (having looked at the Loco2 article) and 100% of the cost of the UK based ticket under delay repay. Although some would argue its only 50% of the whole amount for the journey. There are exceptional circumstances here due to the severe delay and the time of day.

Where any of the tickets held return tickets or were they all singles? Having to wait 90 minutes for a taxi after arrival is totally disgusting. It depends how far you want to take this? I managed to get a TOC to pay up this past week on the basis of the Consumer Rights Act for the first time.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Did the train company pay for the taxi?

What was the final destination you were ticketed to? Bearing in mind you can use a combination of tickets so if you have a ticket to Leeds then another rail ticket that is fine. If it was Leeds then you are looking at a 90 minute delay. If it was somewhere else and they were proving a taxi to get you to your final destination then you are looking at around 2 hours and 50 minutes. It would be based on the time the taxi got you to your "ticketed" station. The taxi could have got us to our ticketed station about 5 minutes before it would have got us home.

I am assuming the TOC paid In that case as you are looking at a delay of about 2 hours and 50 minutes I would hope they would offer you the cost of your ticket. At the very least 50% of the Eurostar ticket (having looked at the Loco2 article) and 100% of the cost of the UK based ticket under delay repay. Although some would argue its only 50% of the whole amount for the journey. There are exceptional circumstances here due to the severe delay and the time of day.

Where any of the tickets held return tickets or were they all singles? Having to wait 90 minutes for a taxi after arrival is totally disgusting. It depends how far you want to take this? I managed to get a TOC to pay up this past week on the basis of the Consumer Rights Act for the first time.

We paid £40 for our own taxi as after 50 minutes they had not done anything about finding taxis and couldn't tell us when they would - they were insistent they had to deal with the previous trainload before starting with us (which seemed odd as they may have been able to use fewer taxis). There were people for our line still waiting when we left.

I made a booking through Eurostar. I'm not sure of the status of the tickets for their part of the journey, but they provided me with Advance CIS singles between London and Leeds (though they told me they were for Virgin Trains East Coast!) and I bought singles from Leeds to Keighley earlier in the day and picked them up when transferring from St Pancras to Kings Cross.

gray1404

Established Member
Plus your Eurostar ticket, was this a single or a return? Did you buy the Leeds to Keighley tickets online before your journey started on Eurostar? Do you have a receipt for the taxi?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Plus your Eurostar ticket, was this a single or a return? Did you buy the Leeds to Keighley tickets online before your journey started on Eurostar? Do you have a receipt for the taxi?

I think the Eurostar tickets were sold as singles. As I said, I bought the last section of the journey earlier in the afternoon from Cross Country online, though I'm not sure why that's important - there were no notifications of problems before we left London. I have a receipt for the taxi.

gray1404

Established Member
It is important because I am trying to make sure that you had booked all your tickets for your entire journey before you started travel. It sound like you did if you booked it on the XC website before your Eurostar train departed. I think in this case an email to LNER explaining the full details and with a scan of all the tickets and receipt is a good starting point.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
It is important because I am trying to make sure that you had booked all your tickets for your entire journey before you started travel. It sound like you did if you booked it on the XC website before your Eurostar train departed. I think in this case an email to LNER explaining the full details and with a scan of all the tickets and receipt is a good starting point.

I sent this, including the taxi receipt.

I've heard back from LNER, acknowledging a delay of 94 minutes (not the actual 3 hours we were delayed) and saying we're due £43.

I've no idea how they've calculated this but it doesn't even cover the taxi fare and one of the Leeds to Keighley tickets

_toommm_

Established Member
I have replied asking how they've calculated this.

A breakdown of your tickets and the cost may help us explain what they've done, even if it is incorrect. My understanding is you had a through ticket from Brussels to Leeds, then a single from there to Keighley.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
A breakdown of your tickets and the cost may help us explain what they've done, even if it is incorrect. My understanding is you had a through ticket from Brussels to Leeds, then a single from there to Keighley.

I'm not sure myself how the cost breaks down as my Eurostar booking just gives one figure for the entirety of Leeds to Brussels and return - a little over £370 out Standard Premier and back Standard. Out of this we got STD CIV tickets London to Leeds at £10 each. We also had Leeds to Keighley tickets at £3.50 each (with Railcard discount).

Then there was the taxi at £40.

I thought you would need CIV tickets to London from somewhere else in UK (Leeds), but it was pointless on the way back as Eurostar ticket is CIV so should cover onward travel if Eurostar is delayed.

Advance tickets are a lot cheaper than CIV, so I always take the gamble

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Advance tickets are a lot cheaper than CIV, so I always take the gamble

I think you'll struggle to get London to Leeds Advance tickets for under £10.

This one said it was an Advance single from London Eurostar (CIV) to Leeds.

This is the first time I've done a Eurostar journey with a connection in London.

Yes you would struggle, but the £10 was part of the Eurostar package - I meant if you were buying seperately as I usually do.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You could escalate the matter to Mike Ross ( Mike.Ross@lner.co.uk ), and I think this is worth pointing out in particular:
... they were insistent they had to deal with the previous trainload before starting with us (which seemed odd as they may have been able to use fewer taxis)....
as the wait for taxis was excessive, and the staff made choices that were unlikely to be in the best interests of passengers and the company.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Eurostar have said the £43 does not include the taxi, which is a significant improvement.
They've asked for that receipt again, despite having had it weeks ago, which is less of one.

They've paid the £43, but have not let me know how they calculated it.

On Moderation
We paid £40 for our own taxi as after 50 minutes they had not done anything about finding taxis and couldn't tell us when they would - they were insistent they had to deal with the previous trainload before starting with us (which seemed odd as they may have been able to use fewer taxis). There were people for our line still waiting when we left.

And how would you have felt if passengers off a later arrival, requiring taxis, were dealt with before you ?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
And how would you have felt if passengers off a later arrival, requiring taxis, were dealt with before you ?

If they're getting a taxi to themselves, that'd be poor. However once we'd called our taxi we saw taxis being sent out that were not full - if people from a later train could have filled them that would seem to be more efficient for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.