• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar with a fractured ankle.

haveaquestion

Hi, was wondering if anyone could help as couldn’t find much searching Google.

I fractured my ankle a couple of weeks ago and have to wear a walking boot and also have crutches.

I’m going to be travelling to Paris on the Eurostar in a few weeks with family on a standard ticket. Will be near the end of wearing the walking boot hopefully.

Was wondering if anyone else travelled by Eurostar with a walking boot and crutches and was the process of checking in and getting on the train easy.

I know the steps into the train are steep.

Is it worth booking the assisted travel with them and if so was it easy to book and was it reliable as in they turned up.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member

I fractured my ankle a couple of weeks ago and have to wear a walking boot and also have crutches.

I’m going to be travelling to Paris on the Eurostar in a few weeks with family on a standard ticket. Will be near the end of wearing the walking boot hopefully.

Was wondering if anyone else travelled by Eurostar with a walking boot and crutches and was the process of checking in and getting on the train easy.

Is it worth booking the assisted travel with them and if so was it easy to book and was it reliable as in they turned up.
By strange co-incidence, I was in exactly the same position five years ago. I would say that it is very definitely worth booking assisted travel as I found the Eurostar staff to be very helpful and friendly, both at St Pancras and Gare du Nord. When booking assisted travel, it may be possible to change your seat(s) to a more accessible location at the end of a carriage....and if you are very lucky, you may be offered a disabled seat in Standard Premier. There are only high steps to and from the train at Gare du Nord, where the assistance staff use a hydraulic lift for wheelchair passengers....access at St Pancras is from/to UK standard high-level platforms, with perhaps one step to negotiate in each direction. One last piece of advice....make sure you travel with your boot and crutches! It will not be to your disadvantage!

haveaquestion

By strange co-incidence, I was in exactly the same position five years ago. I would say that it is very definitely worth booking assisted travel as I found the Eurostar staff to be very helpful and friendly, both at St Pancras and Gare du Nord. When booking assisted travel, it may be possible to change your seat(s) to a more accessible location at the end of a carriage....and if you are very lucky, you may be offered a disabled seat in Standard Premier. There are only high steps to and from the train at Gare du Nord, where the assistance staff use a hydraulic lift for wheelchair passengers....access at St Pancras is from/to UK standard high-level platforms, with perhaps one step to negotiate in each direction. One last piece of advice....make sure you travel with your boot and crutches! It will not be to your disadvantage!
hey thanks so much for you’re reply. I hope your ankle healed well.
Your reply was brilliant and really helpful. :)

StephenHunter

Established Member
There are lifts from the concourse to the platform at St Pancras and it's a level exit at Gare du Nord.

Thames99

And on the return there are lifts at Gare du Nord up to the balcony and down to the platforms so that is also going to be straightforward hopefully. Good luck with your trip!

Trainbike46

Established Member

Thanks.
I traveled on Eurostar from Brussels to London with a walking boot and crutches last summer due to a broken foot. I also really recommend booking assisted travel

Booking assisted travel was easy - I just gave them a ring and they quickly added it to my pre-existing ticket

They offered priority check-in (so they let you skip the queue, which is really helpful if standing is difficult) and a station wheelchair where a member of staff wheelchairs you through the process to the your door of the train, shortly before general boarding starts. I did walk the last bit into the train, which was fine for me, but discuss what you need with the person on the phone when you call them - the reason to call is to discuss your needs. At St. Pancras, the person with the station wheelchair was there, and they wheeled me to the taxi stand, so in my experience they are helpful and reliable.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Eurostar assisted travel was seamless on the one occasion I've used it, visually impaired passenger travelling Brussels to London as part of a wider itinerary which had begun 14 and a half hours previously on nightjet in Vienna. This was back at the start of 2020 shortly before the whole world went mad

peteb

Saw someone with virtually their entire leg in plaster getting off my Brussels to London Eurostar last July! Just crutches and no obvious assistance as their travelling companion had their bags. No idea where they'd sat to get sufficient leg room in standard class. But it can be done!

TrenHotel

Thanks.

This was the situation I was in a few years back - I was actually travelling through to Barcelona!

I didn't know about assisted travel then but thankfully wasn't travelling alone and all went well with Eurostar - the biggest problem going out was crossing Paris to reach the Barcelona train, which we only reached with a few minutes to spare. (There were other issues coming back but that had nothing to do with my ankle.) Good luck with the trip and I hope your ankle heals soon!